Rebuilding our Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shermantank55

SILVER Star
Threads
This thread is of Sherman, the 1972 Family Tank. We bought Sherman (and named him) about 5 years ago. Prior to our purchase, a fire burned up the F engine and it was replaced with a 1983 2F with a Weber and an unkown year (early) 4 speed transmission with a really low first gear.

I have done the following so far:

Added Corbeau front bucket seats
Built custom center console
Rebuilt the head
Rebuilt the springs (added a leaf into the packs)
Added MAF disc brakes in front
Added Classic Cruisers power steering
Added Classic Auto Air heater & A/C unit
Rebuilt a donor 1978 4 speed transmission w/ t case
Added a Be Cool radiator
Added an SPAL fan with electronic control
Built a new dash with VDO gauges and new stereo
Rebuilt front hubs
Added custom rear driveshaft (4sp with 2f was 1 1/2" too long for stock driveshaft)
Added Grant steering wheel
Added eDead rubber/foil insulation and automotive carpet insulation
Built a bar to hold rear seat harnesses
Added Mile Marker winch
Added BFG A/T 33x9.50 tires

Many pictures to follow...this one is how Sherman looks now.

Greg
finished front.jpg

Sherman appears to well taken care of to say the least. Some further exterior shots would be welcomed. The tall and skinny All Terrains compliment the 55 lines well(how do you like them?)....look forward to hearing more about your faithful sidekick. thanks:D

beautiful and sexy engine compartment! damn, you need to let us know the sources of these goodies....inspiring to say the least..........would never have been able to even begin restoration of "Rusty" with out this groups help and input!

Lou

More Sherman Pix

I installed a/c and heating from Classic Auto Air (classicautoair.com). The whole system was about $1000. I had to buy the compressor bracket for the 2F from Nostalgic Air Parts (nostaligcairparts.com). The unit fits easily under the dash and allowed me to remove the old heater assy and fan assy in the engine compartment. I kept the fresh air louver on the dash.

The condenser fit nicely in the space in front of the radiator. I added a SPAL fan from Classic Auto Air in front of the condenser and radiator. The radiator is from Be Cool. My old one was leaking badly. I made a simple z bracket of 3/4" steel to hold the bottom of the radiator and attached it to the top with lighter steel straps.

The dash is made of 1/8" aluminum. The speedo is a VDO electronic model with an electronic sending unit. I got all the gauges from egauges.com. They were helpful in identifying the sending units I needed for all the gauges.

More later. :idea:
a-c install.jpg
radiator a-c.jpg
interior final.jpg

A couple more pix

This is a shot of the compressor bracket that moves the alternator to a different spot.

Here is a shot of the leaves I added to the back spring packs. Not sure how they will do, but I had them already so I figured I would try.

Here is another shot of the outside. I will try to take more.

:cheers:

Greg
compressor.jpg
spring pack.jpg
finish front quarter.jpg

More More! Truck looks great, I will definetly be following this tread

Greg; love the way the engine compartment has cleaned up; can you share info on the K&N aircleaner and how to adapt?

Lou

My air cleaner setup

I originally planned to make a snorkel and may at some point. For now, I am trying this "cold air" intake setup as I was not satisfied with the little air cleaner that came with the Weber (too small and sucked in hot air).

I used the following parts:

K&N air filter part RX-4750 $59 from autopartswarehouse.com (their #K33RX4750)

99010.301 Weber to 3 1/8 adapter $33 from Carbs Unlimited 1-800-994-CARB (2272)

90CB30 Cobra Head Elbow 3" ID $21
AL3X24 Aluminum Intake Tubing 3" OD X 24" $11
TB338 T-Bolt Clamp for 3.25" ID Silicone Hoses 2@ $7.25
TB325 T-Bolt Clamp for 3" ID 1 $3.64
From intakehoses.com

I have tested the setup with the hood closed. I built a bracket to hold the air filter down just a bit from 90 degrees and the hood closes with about 1/4" clearance (including the insulation I lined the hood with.

Winch mounting

I have installed a 8000 lb Mile Marker winch on the front. I already owned the SOR brush guard and Hella lights. The winch mounting plate fit extremely well between the grille and the brush guard, only requiring me to cut two notches for the brush guard, and new holes to line up with the old tow hook holes and existing holes in the bumper .

I moved one of the center bars down below the bumper, along with the tow hooks (the brush guard was already set up for that). I moved the center bar with tabs to the top to re-use the Hellas.

;p
winch mount.jpg
winch detail1.jpg
winch detail2.jpg

Back seat belts in Sherman

I wanted shoulder belts for my kids. I came up with this option. I got an old wrangler roll bar that happened to be the right width, cut it off at seat height and bolted it to the back seat upright supports.
back seat.jpg

:cheers: Greg, what rear seat belts did you install; we have 4 little ones and would feel a lot better with shoulder + lap restraints..........; very much like the idea of the cut roll bar!

Lou

Sherman appears to well taken care of to say the least. Some further exterior shots would be welcomed. The tall and skinny All Terrains compliment the 55 lines well(how do you like them?)....look forward to hearing more about your faithful sidekick. thanks:D
I will try to take more exterior photos. So far so good on the 33 x 9.50s. They are easy to steer and look good. They are quiet and ride smoothly. I have not gone off road with them yet, but read a couple articles that leaned toward more narrow rather than wider tires for general offroad use.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom