M716 into a Camp Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shermantank55

SILVER Star
Threads
After all the inspiration found here and on expedition portal, we have decided to take our little M716 trailer and upgrade it to a full expedition worthy trailer.
Two main inspirations: Australian camp trailer designs, especially: http://www.drifta.com.au/CapeYorkTourer.php
and a home built trailer: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/49690-Small-Garage-Big-Project
Having gone through a Starcraft RT and small Coleman pop-up the family was not ready to give up some luxuries for off road capability.
Goals:
1. Maintain small trailer footprint for ease of use off road
2. Incorporate "necessities" such as refrigerator, water, kitchen, shelter, electricity, shower, stove, heater
3. Maintain light weight, but capability to sleep 4 people
4. Retain cargo carrying ability

So, here is where we begin.
Pics of the original trailer on day 1 and our initial configuration for cargo carry approx 5 years ago

trailer before.jpg

trailer complete 2.jpg

trailer complete.jpg

Back to beginnings

First step was to remove current cargo box and determine new cargo requirements. Height of container was dictated by refrigerator and kitchen designs.
Tongue to wheel length was also increased to provide better handling, especially backing.
I disconnected the tongue from the frame, mitered the ends to square and added 2x3 box steel. I then gusseted the assembly to strengthen.

Once the box height was decided I framed in the box with 2" square tube on corners and 1" sq tube for rails

My military tube type tires were dry rotting, so replaced them with e rated all season light truck tires.

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0591.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

The fun continues

Next we continued the framing, and mocked up a kitchen/shelter setup. I built the shelter frame of uni-strut that moved freely inside the 2" tube. Based on the Aussie design, I wanted the shelter to be elevated for camping and lower for travel.

DSCN0598.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0604.jpg

More testing

We purchased an ARB awning and a Tepui Autana tent. Both fantastic products. The awning will provide shelter over the kitchen and the tent will provide living/sleeping space for 4+.

RTT on trailer 2.jpg

rtt on trailer.jpg

Kitchen and Refrigerator

We built custom slides for both the refrigerator and kitchen and fitted into the trailer. I then used 16 ga. aluminum for paneling the cargo box.
I installed a 20 gallon water tank with pump for fresh water.

DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0688.jpg

Getting closer

Here are the kitchen and refrigerator in final configuration. The kitchen is plywood and designed to fold into its storage space. I also added a deep cycle battery for water and power. I framed doors with 3/4" tube and covered with same aluminum sheet.
I found standard RV access door and water fill and used exterior grade electrical cover for switches.

Also you can see the electric actuators installed. These handle 200# each and are controlled from one switch. They raise the shelter 24" once we are at camp.

DSCN0696.jpg

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0694.jpg

Test set up

Once in a moderately finished state we set up the trailer to see how it works. Details include LED lighting under awning and inside tent; stability jacks on tongue and rear corners; kitchen sprayer for cooking area; LP gas quick disconnects at kitchen for stove and at front for bbq and hot water.

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

Amazing work! You should get some good use out of that.

What an excellent buildt that is. :cool:

Thats a good use of time to spend and enjoy it 10 more times after. :popcorn:

Fridge, shower, kitchen, everything needed and wanted on a enjoyable trip, very very cool.

Can you please provide more information such as brand and supplier on your linear actuators and shower? You had somehow gone into my mind and built my dream trailer build which is a little creepy since I don't even know you!

Can you please provide more information such as brand and supplier on your linear actuators and shower? You had somehow gone into my mind and built my dream trailer build which is a little creepy since I don't even know you!

When I get a chance I will provide all my sources of materials.
As to water heater it is from Camp Chef:
http://www.campchef.com/portable-water-heaters.html
I ordered it through Amazon.
The linear actuators are from Firgelli Automations.
http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=5

Some detail pictures

This is the kitchen. Made of 1/2" ply with 40" drawer slides and sheet aluminum counter tops. The stove nests inside the wing and straps for security. The kitchen straps into the trailer as well.

DSCN0786.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

Last edited:
Detail Pictures, cont.

Here is the LP gas quick disconnect. Need to use high pressure as stove/bbq don't like a low pressure regulator.
Also details of refrigerator with pin/strap restraint. Used a 32" drawer slide for this.

DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

Details...

I used a kitchen sprayer fed from the water pump. Provides fresh water to the kitchen. Also, switch panel is weather proof residential cover. It works with 3 rocker switches with a bit of dremel work. The switches control the actuators for the tent platform, LED lighting under awning for kitchen and the water pump.
Finally is a shot of one of the actuators. Rated at 200# each, they have no problem raising/lowering the platform, even if we had people up top.

DSCN0785.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

and details...

I used safety pins for legs of platform, they lock legs in up or down position (figured it would reduce stress on actuators off road or while camped). The unistrut slides smoothly inside the 2" square tube. I used paraffin to lube the unistrut.
Trailer jacks in rear are pinned so I can put them up out of the way for transport. Note mounting point below foot of jack.
I also covered the tent platform with diamond plate aluminum for a little shelter and mounted old pelican cases for storage. Under platform I mounted a roof top cargo bag to hold cots, chairs, etc. and two Plano gear boxes to hold the rest of the kitchen gear. The mandatory ammo can on tongue holds chocks, jack handles, locks, hitch, etc.

I am waiting on replacement springs (noticed once loaded the springs were bad-too much hauling gravel earlier); a firmer tent mattress and high pressure LP gas quick disconnects. Then off to camp...

Thanks for all the tips I found on this forum. Hope my work helps someone else.
Cheers,
Greg

DSCN0776.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom