"Cadet" Build Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shermantank55

SILVER Star
Threads
In March we found a 1970 FJ40 for my daughter. We figured Sherman, our FJ-55, could use a sibling around the house. Plus, with my daughter turning 15, we needed something bulletproof. Believe it or not, it was her idea. The sickness is hereditary.

Anyway, we found Cadet (as Shelby named it) about 60 miles south at a mechanic's shop in Morgan Hill, CA. He had trailered it from Nevada where the previous owner couldn't get it started. In Morgan Hill it got some engine care but sat for awhile. The owner apparently sold his property in Nevada and wanted to get rid of the FJ40. All the glass except the windshield was broken out and there was a dead rat wrapped around the front shock. That being said, Cadet looked to be in pretty good shape.

Once we dug in, we found a lot of rust lurking in the rear. Apparently the FJ40 was used to put a boat in and out of the water and to drive to and from a lake and cabin. This was later verified by the sand, pine needles and boat themed trash hiding in nooks and crannies. We have verified at least three previous owners in Northern and Southern California and Nevada.

The motor ran great, the transmission sounded good and the brakes seemed to slow the little beast down. It was relatively unmolested and still had the three speed column shifter and vacuum transfer. It did have some unfortunate seats in front and only one jump seat in back.

$3600 later, we were proud owners. As part of the package, the mechanic trailered it up to us the same day. Here are some shots from when Cadet came home:;)
for sale.jpg
for sale 2.jpg
for sale 3.jpg

Cadet Tear Down

We decided we couldn't afford to tear Cadet to the ground, so we did what we could. We cut out some rust in the rear and sides, gutted the interior and stopped the rust.

We removed what we could from the engine compartment and cleaned it out, rebuilding the heater and replacing most rubber items.
front radiator.jpg
Stripped down 40 1.jpg
rusty sill.jpg

Cadet Repairs

We removed what we could from the engine bay and painted. We decided to go with a dark olive rusoleum and Shelby decided all the trim would be black.

I discovered a leaking hub and contaminated brakes which led to replacing a lot of wheel cylinder parts.

We found some newer jump seats and I fabricated brackets so they would fit with the existing roll bar.

We Herculined the interior - we learned that xylene eats your brain cells.
We rebuilt the dash and painted it green.

I used steel angle and my neighbor build up a patch panel for the rear rust.
engine bay paint.jpg
jump seat.jpg
rear steel.jpg

Cadet Repairs

I fabricated seat brackets so we could use some 74 seats instead of the large marge blue buckets. A set of SOR seat covers and roll bar pads finished it off inside.

We found some original steel wheels and after some drastic sandblasting they were fitted with TSL radials in LT215/85R15 that approximated the stock 7.00-15 tire I still had lying around

We enlisted willing friends and neighbors to help sand down the rough spots.
We tested the colors on the bib to see if they were a go. Shelby approved so we moved on...
interior.jpg
pug astern.jpg
wheels off.jpg

Cadet Continued

Along the way, I picked up a roller fairlead. We shaped the 3/16 channel steel into a capped bumper and installed the fairlead.

We replaced the exhaust system. We replaced shocks. We repaired the gas tank and removed the home made reserve tank.

We sanded some more. We installed the wheels and drove around with reckless abandon.
front winch.jpg
new wheels and tires 1.jpg
new wheels and tires 2.jpg

Cadet Continued

We were sidelined for awhile with some family medical issues, but came back strong in August. We tried out different hood ornaments and test drove the Cadet. (Un)fortunately, Shelby cannot drive yet, so I have to do all the test driving.

We added a interior heater valve and rebuilt the heater.
mack truck.jpg
test drive.jpg
heater valve.jpg

Cadet almost finished

This past couple of weeks we finished sanding and built a spray booth. I used rustoleum satin dark olive with a Grizzly HVLP spray gun.

Not perfect, but way better than she was. Cadet is nearly roadworthy again. Still waiting on a windshield (I dropped the frame onto the steering wheel and shattered the old one).

The old running lights were shot. We used some LED sets instead and Shelby painted all the trim black.
paint 1.jpg
paint 2.jpg
logo light.jpg

wow nice..i like to see that there are some people still left out there who don't have to lift their fjs. I like it. love the color

Thanks for the write up, it was motivating.
Good luck and those tires look great.

x2 on more pics....

Wow, I went from thinking that thing was a piece of junk to wishing it was in my garage. Nice job!

Nicely done, and the bezel is on right!!!!!

Nice work!!! My son and I have been doing the same thing to our "Sully". It has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

You better get a BIG STICK dad ...... if Shelby is cute AND drives a 40 .... she will be very popular with the boys.:whoops:

The resto looks great. I may use rustoleum on mine too.

Copenhagen1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom