Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Being a big fan of your 100, I'm excited to see your result. No pictures of your truck's rear-end in this thread...my only input would be to consider stock, OEM FJ-40 Series taillights. Their shape and OEM-ness always looks better (to me) than the round Jeep-style units.
*Edit: I have no idea why all of the above is in Bold type.
Funny I just replaced my 40 style taillights with some generic square ones.

Thanks @G-Cat

Yeah, @Box Rocket has one badass little truck. As similar (not really) as the trucks are, I have a hard time comparing them - that blue truck just looks like a 1:1 scale toy! It's just so well-done.

I wouldn't be surprised if the truck ends up with a regular bed. I'm keeping my eye out for a donor. It came up with the bodyshop yesterday - "... might be back with a bed to shoot". But I really do like the idea of a well-done "tray-back."

Next week, we're going to rebuild the flatbed - narrow, notch, shorten (slightly), build a spare mount (off-set behind the driver)... and maybe add some more 2" box to sort of shape the bed a bit - like, pull the lines down, e.g. box in the tail/brake lights and license plate... I have some sketches that may be working better on paper than steel ;)

Decking will likely be stained, kiln-dried PT pine. It looks really nice, but it's still cheap (compared to anything hard/exotic), so if I want to drill, cut, spill, scratch, I'm not going to sweat it.

Who knows, I may do all this, step back and say "Yep. Looks like $*#&, gotta find a proper bed" ;) But I do love the building, rebuilding part too.

I'm not sure what the cost shipping would be, but I have a pretty nice bed bed lying around. It came off of a 1984 2WD and has the rolled edges vs. the standard flat sides.

I'm not sure what the cost shipping would be...

I checked Amazon Prime and it looks like it'll be free. Oh... wait. I suspect the shipping cost would be pretty steep for that 2,000 mile journey. Thanks yotadude520

I checked Amazon Prime and it looks like it'll be free. Oh... wait. I suspect the shipping cost would be pretty steep for that 2,000 mile journey. Thanks yotadude520

ROADTRIP!!

ROADTRIP!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. Come drive your truck here without a bed and I'll throw it on and it can be yours for the price of a really nice steak dinner and whiskey!

Hmmmm... as awesome as a 3,700-mile roadtrip in a base model '84 Pickup sounds (with no radio), I might have to find a bed closer to home. I mean unless you're passing through Atlanta? I'll buy you a steak dinner and a BOTTLE of whiskey.

...(with no radio).

Come 'awn! Don't you have a phone and headphones. :flipoff2: Today, no radio is no excuse. Plus, the headphones will drown out the whine and grind of this old girl. :beer:

ROADTRIP this roadkill.

you know what I’m talking about

Last edited:
Shhh... that's the one I was referring to ;)

It does look solid in the pics... unless the rattle can paint's hiding bondo and rust.

Bet I can make you guys smell something just from a picture...

IMG_1075.jpeg

I love my KO2s.

Same. I've had MTs and ATs on so many trucks - still my favorite tire. My 100 is on the 3rd set - averaging 55,000+ miles per set. Pretty good for a 5,600 lbs full-time 4-wheel drive truck.

But the big question is... white letters in or out?

Yeah... I haven’t done white out since the 80s. But, the truck is pure 80s.

White letters out.....be true to the 80s.

Laces out is making a comeback...I’m not quite there yet, though.

White letters out on Trucks that should have had the white letters out when new!!!!

33-10.50s? Best size ever for a Toyota!

32x11.50. Ran them for a long time. Went to the dark side and installed 33x12.50 and 33x10.50. As soon as the current tires need replacing I'm going back to 32's.

BFGs come in other sizes? ;)

They're almost the exact same size as the KO2s on my 100... with a slightly smaller hole in the middle
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 9.50.40 AM.png

And yeah, Pappy I have no doubt there will be a tradeoff. Even with the V8 in the 100 the added weight and leverage is noticeable. I have no doubt, even with the regear, the little Pickup will feel the big tires. But I just have to do it... just gotta see it and play a bit with the 33s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom