My 77 FJ40 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, they are pretty easy to clean out. Keep it compressed when removing the screws. Once the last screw is removed it will pop open due to the spring inside. The most time will be spent removing from the engine and re-installation. I bought an old used one, cleaned all the crud out and it seems to be working great.

@Dave, I put a clear NAPA on my return line before we left for K2 and I dont see much fuel going through the return. If you dont have a return then you sure wont see much in the way of fuel volume at idle of even if you rev it because the engine will not be under load.

Are you still having the same symptoms after great Live Oak find (no beer pun intended)?

Kelly ( @77mustard40 ), no issues so far. Seems to be driving fine. I need to take her on a long drive to see if I get fuel starvation issues.

Makes sense that I might not be seeing much flow at idle since it's only idling at 650-700 rpm.

I forgot these were rebuildable.

What Roger said. It's the same pump. They were rebuildable, until Toyota stopped selling the rebuild kits several years ago.

Ha. Yeah, it probably was him since he's helped me move the big heavy parts on more than one occasion.

Hey, that hurts. I'd never do such a thing. But I did warn you about tossing it under the deck. You're lucky there wasn't a family of field mice living in the tank. ;)

I might not be seeing much flow at idle since it's only idling at 650-700 rpm.

What do you mean, "only idling at 650..." ? Factory spec for 2F idle is 650 rpm. Sounds like your idle speed is exactly where it should be.

Commander,
You know that I was just messing with Dave.
Funny story, I went to a small town in east Alabama to look at a forty project that was in many parts, it turned out to be the base for the Time Machine build.
We were looking at all the parts and the guy said, " Here is the fuel tank that I took out". I picked it up and it was full of acorns that the mice had stored in it. I guess that it is still in east Alabama.
So, yes Dave you are lucky that the leaves were the only thing in the tank..
Gary

Yeah, the tank was stored on the deck (in the covered area), not under! :)

Its alive...

Dave's 40 Slow.jpg

Got her sorted out for the most part. I drive her once a week. The weather is starting to cool off now so I should drive her more.

I'm hopefully going to get a lift on in the next month or two. Can't wait.

Topless now.

20170904_185214.jpg

Got the front Hell Creek springs on today inbetween football games. Just waiting on @Sea Knight for the rears. :)

20171014_201649.jpg

Finally got the rear lift springs on. The shocks now have full range of motion and the truck feels great on the road.

20180128_142513.jpg
20180128_143153.jpg

Thanks Ron!

I had a big ole smile test driving her around the neighborhood. Perfect weather for driving a 40 today (69F here in Austin).

Last edited:
Looks great Dave!

Getting ready for Round Up 2018. Got a great deal on a set of long body Aisin's from my buddy @tucker74 . Just had to paint and reinstall them.

20180310_104654.jpg

20180310_105037.jpg

20180311_133249.jpg

And thanks to Kelly @77mustard40 for having an extra set of gaskets! Got them installed this afternoon!

20180311_151119.jpg

excellent build and job on those free wheeling hubs. however, it is my understanding that they are supposed to be gold on the landcruisers and red on the mini trucks or hilux. i'm pretty sure there was a thread dedicated to it, i reckon that @lostmarbles had a few good posts in there. beautiful job anyway, i don't want to take anything away from you they are stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom