My 77 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll hit him up if I can't find a place tomorrow near me.

Found a guy near my house that did mobile tire service. I was able to save some money by droppng off the wheels and tires. Looks like this will work. I also started adjusting toe in.

20170312_173957.jpg
20170312_175312.jpg

So it looks like your on schedule to take it to round up? I was hoping to do a shake down run to my property (100 round trip) today but since winter came back it was a no go.

Getting there, but I still need to swap out the booster.

Done with adjusting toe and installed the front two wheels. I like it.
20170312_185647.jpg

Last edited:
I take it you finished the rear bumper install?

It was a little chilly today.

So it looks like your on schedule to take it to round up? I was hoping to do a shake down run to my property (100 round trip) today but since winter came back it was a no go.

Last edited:
Those wheels will grow on you!

I came home today and found two care packages from Roger @Racer65 on my doorstep. The big one I was waiting for was the new brake booster. I had already taken the old one off yesterday and quickly put the new smaller booster in. This made all the difference and I now have nice powerful brakes! I finally got to drive her around the neighborhood! Man, I had a big ass grin

Last edited:
Yes, the booster drops right in. The spacer moves the booster away from the firewall and also allows you to use the stock brake lines without having to bend the heck out of them.

Build is looking great. It has to feel great finally driving it. Did the new booster drop right in? What is the function of the spacer?

Excellent work Dave!

Thanks Lash (@77TLCFJ40). One question, how did you tighten the nut on the brush guard I got from you? I couldn't get a ratcheting wrench in there. I need to ask Dave Gore @lcwizard .

Capture.JPG

I think it was just finger tight. ...because I couldn't remember to call Dave.

My stubby ratchet didn't have enough "clicks".

Oh, and paint that fairlead and Warn solenoid cover. Down the rabbit hole you go!

Looks absolutely fantastic. Wish I were at the RoundUp to see it.

Well, we made it to Round Up, but had a ton of fuel delivery issues getting there. AJ @aljollano . and his boys were really patient with my issues. I think we stopped 10 times before we were able to grab a clear fuel filter from NAPA. We noticed that fuel wasn't being sucked into the filter. Fortunately, I had enough fuel line length to be able to lean in and blow the line back into the tank. This got us mostly there with a couple more stops, but we got there. At camp, I swapped out the spring clamps for some regular hose clamps. I had no issues with fuel on the return trip.

The other issue I had was with the brakes. At camp, my brakes were extremely squishy. Bobby @Rock hor convinced me to check my rear drums to see if they weren't adjusted correctly. Sure enough one wheel needed a ton of adjustment (I hate drums).

Thanks to all of the guys that helped me this weekend ( AJ, Bobby, CB, Kelly, Pat, Lee). Sorry if I missed anyone.

Here's a pic of AJ and his boys at Cooper's BBQ.

20170317_135153.jpg
20170319_083300.jpg

Not much to update. Still trying to figure out why I'm not getting a good strong flow through the fuel filter. Yesterday, I drained all of the gas out of the tank via the drain (and made a stinky mess). I was hoping that whatever was clogging the pickup tube would drain out, but the fuel flow increased nicely at first and then went back to a trickle. From what little bits I see in the clear filter, I think it's a mud dauber. Anyone know how long it takes for a mud dauber to decompose? I guess the gas might preserve it :)

Also got my new plates installed yesterday.

unnamed (1).jpg

Was able to mount the spare yesterday. Thanks to Kelly (@77mustard40 ) for the rim and Rich @1Fine40 for the hubcaps!

I might have to paint the rims black now.

20170329_201644.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom