Builds My 1978 Nut and Bolt Frame Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started rebuilding the Warn hubs.

Before:

image-jpeg.1339792

After blasting and powdercoating:
image-jpeg.1339929

I'll go out later today and buy some stainless steel socket head hardware to put them back together.
Do you recall the color used on the hub? The silver and gold? Powder coat? Thanks.

Hot soapy water and a toothbrush.

Then cover in thin coat of peanut butter, then buff the peanut butter with a clean cloth.
How long will the peanut butter keep the plastic looking shiney like that?

It’s been so long ago that I did that, I don’t even remember. It last for a good while though.

I use Fluid Film to soak into plastics now. I’ve tried peanut butter and other oils but it works best

I use Fluid Film to soak into plastics now. I’ve tried peanut butter and other oils but it works best
That’s good to know, I have a small spray can of fluid film and will try it out. No issues with the smell of it or adverse affects on the paint lettering? Do you use it on the vinyl dash pad as well?

That’s good to know, I have a small spray can of fluid film and will try it out. No issues with the smell of it or adverse affects on the paint lettering? Do you use it on the vinyl dash pad as well?

some hate the smell. I use it on everything. Won’t effect paint at all

Hello Cruiser Fans-

I am extremely happy and humbled to say that I am the new owner of this amazing and historic FJ40 - I feel maybe a bit connected since I am also former U.S. Navy and was in the Navy at the same time this Cruiser was making it's rounds around the world.
I purchased it yesterday and am in the process of managing the transportation logistics to get it from the mid-west out to Western Montana. My promise is to care for it, preserve it, cherish it, but I will also drive it!
Thanks to the previous owner(s) and specifically the author of this thread for taking the time and effort to do some amazing work on this beautiful rig.
Best wishes - FlyingMuleRider in Montana
1978FJ40.jpg

It has been awwhile, but wanted to make a quick update on this amazing FJ40. It has been a few months since it found its way to my home in Montana, but I have totally fallen in love with this sweet rig.
Since I have owned it and as promised (taking good care of her) I have fixed multiple oil leaks, re-aligned the drive shafts, fixed the gas venting issue and replaced the brakes. It runs and drives great and I put a very careful 200 miles on her this summer. She will go in the barn when the snow flies but right now I am really enjoying her. Thanks to the the gent that restored her to her orginal glory. I think this one will be a keeper.
David
FJ40Airport.jpg

It has been awwhile, but wanted to make a quick update on this amazing FJ40. It has been a few months since it found its way to my home in Montana, but I have totally fallen in love with this sweet rig.
Since I have owned it and as promised (taking good care of her) I have fixed multiple oil leaks, re-aligned the drive shafts, fixed the gas venting issue and replaced the brakes. It runs and drives great and I put a very careful 200 miles on her this summer. She will go in the barn when the snow flies but right now I am really enjoying her. Thanks to the the gent that restored her to her orginal glory. I think this one will be a keeper.
David
View attachment 3416501
Yeah brother, you scored.
Congratulations.

David
View attachment 3416501
Beautiful. Posts like these keep me pushing along.

This build is easily one of the most amazing and comprehensive builds on this forum. The additional joy of watching the OP learn new skills and tackle issue after issue is so so inspiring.
@FlyingMuleRider, you, in my humble opinion, have inherited not just a vehicle, but a torch. Keep it well lit my friend, someday, I hope to cross paths with you and see this beautiful rig in person.

Ian

This build is easily one of the most amazing and comprehensive builds on this forum. The additional joy of watching the OP learn new skills and tackle issue after issue is so so inspiring.
@FlyingMuleRider, you, in my humble opinion, have inherited not just a vehicle, but a torch. Keep it well lit my friend, someday, I hope to cross paths with you and see this beautiful rig in person.

Ian
Thanks everyone- I don't even really consider myself the owner of this wonderful FJ40, but more the current humble caretaker. I love the orginality and reflection of a simpler time and that is the way it will stay while in my stewardship. These things are getting rare as the decades slip by...
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom