Builds My 1978 Nut and Bolt Frame Off Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What were the steps and materials to recondition these . Looks great!

At this early stage of the restoration, i used a wire wheel and some rustoleum professional black paint. I later sandblasted all of that off, and Powdercoated the entire frame.

Thanks, @emac !

I appreciate your help throughout this process as well.

Truck went live on BaT last night:

great write up, and already at 25K! You are going to miss it no matter what it sells for!!

You are probably right. And thank you for the kind words!

Nice job! The one thing I regret is not going the plated bolt route and painting instead of replating where appropriate. to my eye and mind doing it your way is the way it should be. It bugs me every time I look at it and I'll regret it forever. Damn.

One question... Pic 86 on your BAT page shows the interior of the door prepped for the vapor barrier - what is the red stuff you have on there for adhesive?

Nice job! The one thing I regret is not going the plated bolt route and painting instead of replating where appropriate. to my eye and mind doing it your way is the way it should be. It bugs me every time I look at it and I'll regret it forever. Damn.

One question... Pic 86 on your BAT page shows the interior of the door prepped for the vapor barrier - what is the red stuff you have on there for adhesive?

It is 3M trim tape (double sided)

For those who were wondering, I did acquire and install the correct OEM dash black plug. Here is photographic evidence.
1BD26563-A5BC-4235-AFB6-D107BB41AF7D.jpeg

Here is the original description I wrote before final editing. It is a much longer and in-depth description than what is found on BaT. What can I say, I like to type I guess. For any interested parties that might be interested in purchasing, I have copy and pasted it below:

This 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 was originally purchased in the United States and owned by an officer in the U.S. Navy. During this ownership, the vehicle was shipped wherever the officer was stationed. It is reported to have spent a good bit of time in Japan, Egypt, Eastern Europe (1984 Sarajevo Olympics), Istanbul, Scandinavia, the Greek Isles, Jamaica, and all over Central and South America, including Ecuador and Chile. The owner then brought the truck to Mississippi, where it was used as a personal vehicle for many years. Around 5 years ago, the truck was purchased by another owner who had always planned on getting around to refurbishing the truck, but life and family got in the way. It was then purchased by the current owner. The owner states that he saw some rust on the rear sill, and decided to partially replace the rotten section. He jokingly states that it “all kinda spiraled out of control from there” and a full on restoration began in April 2016.

The work was completed in April 2019, and included the sandblasting of the body and other outer panels, the installation of new rear quarter panels, rear sill, and both front fender assemblies. Other areas of rust were removed, and replaced as well. The body then received a full basecoat/clearcoat paintjob. The truck also received sandblasting and powder coating of the frame, reupholstering of the interior, cadmium replating of various bits of hardware, sandblasting and powder coating of appropriate brackets and parts. New cooling and braking systems were installed as well. Power is provided by the original 4.2L inline-six mated to a 4-speed manual gearbox which was machined and rebuilt during the restoration. Modifications include an electronic ignition, power steering, and a lift kit. This FJ40 is offered with a detailed 35 page build thread, hundreds of photos, and a Mississippi title in the seller’s name.

Once sandblasted and brought to bare metal, the problem areas on the body were addressed by completely replacing both rear quarter panels, replacing the entire rear sill, and replacing both front fender assemblies. Rust sections were removed and replaced on the passenger side door sill, and driver’s side foot well.

The truck was refinished in Toyota Olive Green (653) in May 2019. According to the data plate under the hood, its original color was Toyota Dune Beige (416). The owner states that he was a bit unhappy with a few of the panels he sprayed, so sent the truck to a professional who resprayed most of the exterior body panels with new basecoat paint, and a production-type clearcoat. The clearcoat has not been cut and buffed.

The roof was blasted and refinished in Toyota Cygnus White, with a clear coat topcoat. Before paint, the rain gutter was cleaned and new 2-part SEM seam sealer was used along the entire length of the gutter. There is new weatherstripping throughout, along with a new headliner, wiring harness, and dome light.

The front bumper is brand new from Toyota. The bumperrettes are new from CCOT. The badges, emblems, and reflector assemblies, were replaced with new parts from Toyota. Both the front turn signal assemblies and rear quarter side indicators are new. The hood hooks are new stainless steel assemblies from CCOT, along with the hood rest pads. Most of the exterior body bolts were replaced with stainless steel JIS bolts from Overland Metric. All weatherstripping, and other exterior and interior rubber gaskets and grommets throughout the truck are completely new. The tire carrier assembly has new bronze bushings, a new Toyota latch spring assembly, new plugs, and new stainless hardware from Overland Metric. The license plate bracket was blasted and powdercoated, the light assemblies were replaced with new ones from Toyota, and the light hoods were blasted and painted pewter. The license plate wiring harness is also new. The rear step was blasted and powdercoated. All appropriate hardware is stainless steel JIS from Overland Metric.

On the underside of the truck, you will find refurbished cadmium hardware throughout, along with powdercoated heat shields, skid plate, and other various brackets. The frame was also sand blasted and powdercoated.

A lift kit from Old Man Emu was installed, including shocks, springs, bushings, shackles, castor correction kit, and steering stabilizer. 33″ BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 tires are mounted on new 15″ Toyota wheels and hubcaps. The front locking Warn hubs were recently rebuilt with stainless steel hardware and powdercoated silver.

Inside, the seats were reupholstered, and their brackets and frames were blasted and painted along with the interior’s pewter trim. The seatbacks were blasted and painted pewter, and got new cadmium plated hardware. The factory roll bar was blasted and powdercoated. Refurbished components reportedly include the factory floor mat, lower dash pads, seatbelts, visors, knobs, switches, instrument cluster, blower fan, rear heater, floor heater, and pedal box assembly. New components include the upper dash pad, roll bar pads, rear view mirror, windshield grommet and weatherstripping, windshield wiper wiring harness, fuse panel and fuses, blinker relay, pedal boots, and all various shifter boots.

All of the interior bolts were individually sand blasted, tumbled, and replated in cadmium, as was the gas pedal, springs, brackets, and throttle linkage assembly. The emergency brake handle assembly was disassembled, blasted, and replated in cadmium. There are new heater lines and foam throughout, with appropriately plated or powdercoated brackets. The rear blower functions properly and is finished in pewter. The heater core was leak tested, sand blasted and cadmium plated.

The ignition assembly is new. The steering wheel was refurbished, along with turn indicator assemblies and center column cover. The steering column along with its various brackets were blasted and powdercoated. Refurbished cadmium plated hardware can be found throughout.

The inside front door components, including out and inner lock assembles, and linkages are new. The doors have all new weatherstripping, window runs, felts, and channels. There are new regulator assemblies, lock bezels, vapor barriers, foam, and interior door covers. Outside the door, there are new pull handles, locks, and lock grommets. On the door hinges, there are new bushings, and new stainless steel hinge pins. The mirror arms were blasted and refurbished in pewter. There are new grommets between the mirror arm assemblies and the doors. On the rear doors, there is all new weatherstripping around the glass and door edges. The door strikers are new. The interior door components were blasted and cadmium plated.

The refurbished 5-digit odometer shows 350 miles. The owner stated the original odometer was 78,000 before restoration began. The odometer was completely disassembled and rebuilt. The faces were repainted, and the white lettering is brand new. All gauges were function checked. The needles were repainted. The outer bezel was blasted and painted in pewter.

The windshield was replaced during the refurbishment, but all other glass is original to the truck. The owner states there are a few dings and several scratches present on the original glass, but no cracks.

The engine benefited from a complete tear-down and trip to the machine shop, were the block and head were degreased in a hot tank and machined. The cylinders were honed at the shop during the machining process as well. The engine received many new parts, including a balanced and machined crankshaft, new rods, all bearings, new crankshaft, new pistons and rings, new cam shaft, new lifters, new oil pump, freeze plugs, drain-cock, and new rear main bearing. The head was decked, and new valves and guides were installed. The air injector holes were filled with stainless steel plugs, and the oil galley plug was removed, the hole was tapped, and a set screw was installed.

The outside of the engine received all new hoses, new hard fuel line and fittings, and new Japanese carburetor. There is a new gear reduction starter as well. The valve cover was blasted, painted with high temperature silver paint, had new decals installed, then painted with a high quality high temperature clear coat. The oil pan and inspection cover were blasted and powdercoated. The heater pipe was blasted and cadmium plated. All other appropriate hardware was cadmium plated.

The cooling system received new hoses, stainless steel clamps, thermostat, water pump, heater valve, and heater hoses. The coolant reservoir is new, as is the wiper fluid reservoir and pump. The reservoir bracket and charcoal canister bracket have been powdercoated, with original cadmium plated hardware where appropriate.

The heater box was completely restored, with cadmium plating and powdercoating throughout. The heater core was blasted, soaked in simple green, and a leakdown test was performed to ensure there were no leaks. There is new foam throughout. The blower assembly was completely disassembled, cleaned, painted, and rebuilt. All appropriate hardware was blasted and cadmium plated.

The points ignition and distributor were replaced with a new electronic ignition system, and new plugs and wires were installed. The alternator was rebuilt, and reassembled with cadmium hardware. There is a brand new Toyota battery and Toyota battery tray. The entire front and rear wiring harness were removed, disassembled, cleaned, repaired, function checked, and rewrapped. New male and female connectors of the appropriate design were utilized throughout the wiring harness rebuild, where available. All relay and controller boxes found in the diver and passenger side footwells were blasted and painted in the correct shade of pewter. New plastic hold-downs from Toyota are present where appropriate, within the engine bay, underbody, interior, and along frame rails.

A power steering system was installed. The steering box comes from a Toyota mini truck. The pulley, associated hoses, fittings, hardware, and brackets were purchased from Georg and Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA. The cooling lines and appropriate hardware sourced from the same mini truck were blasted and cadmium plated.

The clutch system received a new pressure plate, flywheel, and new master and slave cylinders. There are new stainless steel hard lines, and new soft lines from Toyota. The shifter arm was powdercoated, and there is a new Toyota shifter knob.

The transfer case has refurbished cadmium hardware throughout, with new seals, a new speedometer cable, rebuilt emergency brake assembly, and new linkage arms from and boots from Toyota. The transfer case shift arm was blasted and powdercoated.

The 4-speed manual transmission and was not rebuilt during the restoration, though it was partially disassembled, cleaned, and inspected. Various pieces of hardware were removed and either powdercoated or cadmium plated.

The brake system was completely rebuilt which includes a new master cylinder. There are new stainless steel hard lines throughout the vehicle. The brake proportional valve was disassembled, cleaned, and cadmium plated. All soft lines were replaced. On the rear axle, drum brakes were rebuilt with all new cylinders and new brake rebuild kits from Toyota. On the front axle, there are new calipers, pads, and freshly machined rotors.

The front and rear axles were disassembled and rebuilt. The pumpkin from the front axle was switched with the rear axle to help to even out the wear between both differentials. The axles were sandblasted and painted. They then received new seals, bearings, and fluids. The nuts on both the pumpkins are stainless steel. The front knuckles were rebuilt with new seals, bearings, flanges, and felts. The front locking hubs were also rebuilt and powdercoated. There is cadmium plating throughout.

The steering linkage and tie rods were blasted and powdercoated. There are new tie rod ends, and the associated hardware is cadmium plated.

There are new decals and stickers throughout the vehicle. The seller states that several hundred dollars was spent on decals alone. Many can be seen in the gallery below.

The seller performed nearly all of the restoration work himself and created a lengthy build thread showing the entire process, which subsequently has hundreds of photos and many descriptions of work performed. Numerous components were sourced from Toyota, Specter Off-Road, Cruiser Corps, Overland Metric, and City Racer.

Thank you!

Yeah - 100% stole it.

In my head im thinking - I know you're beholden to BaT's terms, but I would contest the results and maybe go with a Barrett-Jackson or similar.

Congrats on your beautifully restored 40.
Would you do it again?

I think it is was a good deal for the buyer, but I think I would be happy if I got that for mine. It was a beautiful restoration and you never get your money back when you do them properly, if you add up your hours. All you can hope for is to cover the cost of the parts. No one will cover your labor! Nice work!!

I think it is was a good deal for the buyer, but I think I would be happy if I got that for mine. It was a beautiful restoration and you never get your money back when you do them properly, if you add up your hours. All you can hope for is to cover the cost of the parts. No one will cover your labor! Nice work!!

Word.

It may have brought more if it was not a color change. It is indeed a really nice job and an obvious labor of love but from a museum perspective, at least, none of that matters because of the color change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom