Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so did you just do Lizard skin and then color on the roof interior? Any future plans for headliner/ heat reduction?

Correct. I'll see how loud it is without anything up there, but I'm expecting it won't be bad once everything else is finished up inside. I may use some dynaliner type product on the roof with a minimal headliner, but I very much like the roof structure being exposed.

Got the hood on this morning. This is a lot more white than I'm used to :lol:

PXL_20201018_151744901.jpg

8 hours today working on the sliders. I think I'm happy. They're tacked up now, will weld them out tomorrow in the daylight.

PXL_20201018_180225284.jpg

PXL_20201018_200039440.jpg

PXL_20201018_231849884.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201018_231908803.NIGHT.jpg

Sliders finished. Here's some daylight pics.

PXL_20201019_173749744.jpg

PXL_20201019_173753727.jpg

PXL_20201019_173801598.jpg

PXL_20201019_173804645.jpg

PXL_20201019_173816443.jpg

Got some other odds and ends finished up as well. Hatch lights are wired into the dome light circuit. With my battery monitor, I can see that these lights only draw 1/3 of an amp. Pretty impressive for the light they put out.

PXL_20201019_225927810.jpg

Got my @NLXTACY #witsend arb fridge cord wired in with a plug on the rear quarter. Real quality piece, go check his store out.

PXL_20201019_225910204.jpg

PXL_20201019_225917858.jpg

Getting little things done, and nailing down big projects. Sleeping platform v5 (I think) is coming together.

PXL_20201021_152341455.jpg

PXL_20201021_215505816.jpg

PXL_20201021_233432501.jpg

PXL_20201021_233440717.jpg

PXL_20201021_233519913.jpg

Drawer:

1603468590236.png

Winch:

1603468617029.png

Have been driving Moonshine for the past two days now. Have about 100 miles on her. Front locker leaks and does not appear to lock, so that needs to be torn down to reseal (yay). This is a new and unexpected issue.

The rear end has some vibration on decel (yay), and the rear lower u-joint feels loose, so I'm going to swap that out. This is a new and unexpected issue.

The stereo is picking up a ton of alternator noise through the harness, so I need to figure that out. As it stands, there's so much noise it can't be used. I put on a noise filter capacitor tank thingamajig but that didn't fix it.

Anyway, feels good to be driving her again:

1603468883928.png

Last edited:
You've made some great updates and given her lots of attention. Super glad you finally got sliders installed.

Is the drawer just a friction fit/slide? Great way to maximize the space available. What will you be coating/covering the wood rear system with?

You've made some great updates and given her lots of attention. Super glad you finally got sliders installed.

Is the drawer just a friction fit/slide? Great way to maximize the space available. What will you be coating/covering the wood rear system with?

Thank you sir. It's been a lot of work in a pretty short amount of time.

Yes, the drawer is just a friction slide, like all of my previous iterations. The floor of the drawer is elevated off the bottom and attached to the sides so that the side bottoms (only) are what ride on the floor of the inside of the box. I'll put some wax stuff on it to help slide better, but really it's smooth as is after straight tablesaw rips and a light 80 grit sand.

Haven't decided what I'm coating the drawer system with yet. I was thinking a carpet maybe on top. This is the first time (ever) I've had a permanently mounted sleeping platform, so I was thinking a low pile carpet would be appropriate. The non-carpeted parts will probably get boiled linseed oil, I like that stuff.

Looks really good. The wood work looks top notch too..

Just a thought. You can use a leak down tester to build and air locker tester. That way you can actuate the locker at the axle housing and see if maybe it’s not a seal housing or bonded seal issue. Since you moved the compressor around maybe it’s a solenoid issue? Just hoping for something easy...

Just a thought. You can use a leak down tester to build and air locker tester. That way you can actuate the locker at the axle housing and see if maybe it’s not a seal housing or bonded seal issue. Since you moved the compressor around maybe it’s a solenoid issue? Just hoping for something easy...

There are no solenoids in my air system. I elected to eliminate that nonsense for a set of pneumatic toggle switches. Compressor cycles on and switches off when it hits pressure. Rear locks as expected, holds pressure (compressor does not cycle) but when you lock the front, the compressor constantly cycles, and you can hear air coming out of the front diff breather. It may, MAY, be the copper line inside the diff, but it was working 7 months ago when parked to do the body work. Based on that, I'm assuming it's the seals.

Believe me, I wished it was something easy too :lol: I had hoped that driving it for a while would get the seals some oil so they worked again, but no such luck.

My buddies @fourtrax @Fort Knox @SFROMAN and @AJR came over yesterday to help with the final gsmtr 2020 prep push.

Got the front arb resealed and front end put back together, as well as the rear lower u-joint replaced in moonshine. Swapped out the roller skate wheels for the big boy tires as well. Big day for sure. The larger focus was working on @AJR 's fj85 build titled hatchet. He got a ton of tube work and other stuff done on his bed.

Just a few odds and ends to fix today and I'm gonna load up. Big thanks to the boys above for helping me out!!

PXL_20201024_173306247.MP.jpg

PXL_20201024_173318755.jpg

PXL_20201024_234140429.jpg

Johny,
I was just thinking this For the bed platform. Put some of the oil stuff to protect the wood. Then I would wrap the top with marine vinyl found very cheap at any fabric store.
the vinyl is a million times easier to clean and won’t keep dust like a carpet material. Very easy to wipe down. The added bonus is that the vinyl prevents stuff from sliding around. Finally, since it is marine vinyl it is very resistant to weather.
you could always put a piece of carpet above that if u wanted but I would buy the cheap 24”x24” squares of gym/garage flooring they sell at harbor freight. They would provide a nice cushion to sleep, you could glue them,Velcro them down or just place them down and be able to remove if you want.
Anyway, this was one of the layouts I did on my f250 bed and the kids loved sleeping on it. Just a thought.

Did you get your radio noise solved?

I've been through I think 6 different iterations of rewiring the amp, only to find that the noise goes away when I unplug my ham radio aux cable from the amp. Rewiring the amp to the same ground bus bar as the ham radio didn't help, nor did noise filters on the amp power feed.

In short no, but I did narrow it down some. Wasted too much time on the assumption that the noise was coming from the power side instead of from the aux input.

To characterize the problem, it sounds like alternator whine, and increases in frequency as the motor RPMs increase. Noise totally stops when unplugging the aux cord, and ferrite chokes on the aux cord have no impact.

Johny,
I was just thinking this For the bed platform. Put some of the oil stuff to protect the wood. Then I would wrap the top with marine vinyl found very cheap at any fabric store.
the vinyl is a million times easier to clean and won’t keep dust like a carpet material. Very easy to wipe down. The added bonus is that the vinyl prevents stuff from sliding around. Finally, since it is marine vinyl it is very resistant to weather.
you could always put a piece of carpet above that if u wanted but I would buy the cheap 24”x24” squares of gym/garage flooring they sell at harbor freight. They would provide a nice cushion to sleep, you could glue them,Velcro them down or just place them down and be able to remove if you want.
Anyway, this was one of the layouts I did on my f250 bed and the kids loved sleeping on it. Just a thought.

I like this idea. I coated the whole thing in boiled linseed oil today to give some protection for the week. Doing so limits my options somewhat, but I'll figure something out.

Keep the suggestions coming!

All prepped and ready for gsmtr. Here's some before pics. Hopefully she looks like this at the end of the week :lol:

PXL_20201025_125921265.MP.jpg

PXL_20201025_125936428.jpg

Packing the new storage system had a bit of a learning curve, but I think I've got it. Stored the hilift beam on the slider, bottle jack and hilift components in the drawer. Made a quick handle for the bottle jack as well.

PXL_20201025_220355664.jpg

Sleeping platform also got hatches, and a mounting point for the powertank.

PXL_20201025_143549287.jpg

Was able to fit all of my onboard tools into the seat boxes, which is awesome.

Fingers crossed, we're good to go!

definitely the best sleeping platform/storage you've built yet

^^^^ less than 30 minutes into the first trail, lmao @cruisermatt

91297000_2823054507732313_505784295193837568_n.jpg

YES I love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom