Builds OTM Shop Build: SAS LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bama4door

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I bought this LX back in 2016 for my wife to drive. I did a few small upgrades (AHC lift, Japan4x4 shock spacers (for sale), Ironman bumper, 200 wheels on 33” TG’s, homemade sliders, and I also swapped in a ‘99 LC factory locked axle. We sold it back in early 2020 to a couple for their son to drive at Auburn.

Old pics:
IMG_5196.jpeg

IMG_5188.jpeg

Fast forward to last month. I ended up buying my wife’s old LX back from the same couple to have as a “courtesy” vehicle to let customers drive while we work on their Cruiser. That idea lasted about 2 minutes and then we decided to cut all the IFS and removed AHC.

Carnage:
IMG_0835.jpeg

Hours and hours of cutting and grinding and everything is out and frame is ground smooth. More updates to come.

Here’s a brief outline of the build:

- @TRAIL TAILOR bracket kit
- Front Axle: 80 axle w/ 105 knuckles/spindles/rotors, 4.88 gears, Harrop Locker
-Transfer Case: Low Range Gears, keeping full-time 4wd
-Rear Axle: ‘99 LC axle w/ factory locker, 4.88 gears
Tires: undecided on 35’s or 37’s
Wheels: some 17” but undecided on wheel choice
Suspension: undecided, but leaning Dobinson 3.5” VT coils
Front Bumper: undecided
Rear Bumper: Dissent Extreme Clearance

Last edited:
Nice! If going through all that trouble, you gotta go 37's! And if 37's, consider going with 5.29's. The 100 rear factory locker would require some 80 series parts to use the 80 series 5.29 ratio set.

Nice! If going through all that trouble, you gotta go 37's! And if 37's, consider going with 5.29's. The 100 rear factory locker would require some 80 series parts to use the 80 series 5.29 ratio set.
I know, I know…I’ve said to myself multiple time, “we’re going through all this trouble to cut out IFS (which can run 35s), why would I not run 37s?”

I already have the 4.88s at the shop and diffs torn out to install. I think the low range T-case gears will make a big difference Offroad. And hopefully the 2UZ and 4.88s on the interstate will be enough for potential 37s.

One thing I have not decided on yet is springs and shocks. I’m leaning towards Dobinson 3.5” VT coils and matching shocks. I had the 3” Flexi’s on my old 80 and liked them a lot.

I also didn’t mention bumpers. Front bumper is undecided (I put the stock bumper back on the LX before selling it). I ended up ordering one of the new Dissent Extreme Clearance rear bumpers they just came out with a couple weeks ago.

@UZJ105 has been a huge help so far letting me bug him with questions and issues he came across with his build. We burned in a few brackets last week, so I will update with more pics when I’m back in the shop tomorrow.

in

@UZJ105's truck looks amazing on 37s. Definitely the way to go with a SAS.

Following.
I did warn him how much of a PITA they will be. I still need to do a lot of cutting if I want to truck to be more functional offroad. Ironically, I recommended he go with 35s for practicality.

Got the old coil retainers cut off and new TT coil retainers burned it.
image.jpg

Frame ground down. You 100% need a plasma cutter to cut all the old IFS stuff out.
IMG_0136.jpeg

Radius arm mounts burned in. Push these all the way back to where the trans crossmember is.
IMG_0140.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

Seems like an ideal time to put in some Doug Thorley headers. I love mine.
Perfect time, but I’ve already got a small chunk of change in this thing. Still need to buy wheels/tires, suspension and steering.

I am amazed at the pile of parts cut out and on the ground. it makes one realize how much goes into a SAS conversion. I bet the pile weighs less than the solid axle itself!? Great work, you sure do work fast. this would take me months and months to

watching and learning ^^

Since you are doing all that welding. Have you thought about or will you cut & turn the knuckle balls for better caster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom