Builds Live in Texas, drive a pickup: HDJ79 single cab build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Onur : yeah man, yeah.

@Mr Cimarron : you know, your build was the first inkling that maybe I could tackle such a complex project. Watching how well thought out and meticulous your build is, I saw that could break my build into a bunch of small, approachable pieces and tackle it and actually do it. Although I have to admit, watching you build your wiring harness from scratch fills me with terror. Thanks for offloading my truck...and unloading my wife’s horse feeders too...

16A04728-3D7C-4C52-9EBE-E703FAF991D3.jpeg
F7A8B1E5-E05A-4AC5-905D-4EE7553B818C.jpeg

(my wife had 3 800 lb horse hay feeders delivered and didn’t specify that they needed to send it with a forklift...so we rented one on the fly and Cim picked the feeders off the trailer. And then Joe and Cim stood out in the rain to help me assemble them for an hour. I owe them big time.)

One of the best purchases I ever made was a Deere 4400 with a front loader. I would have serious back issues without those hydraulics to move, lift, push, pull and do just about everything around here. Belly mower, forks or bucket up front, 3 point tiller, and snow plow. As reliable as any of my Toyota's. getting close to 2k hours, about 25 years old.

1579274251247.png

1579274412749.png

Man I am really happy you let me put this together for you Galen , I am looking forward seeing you taking this to the next level ……. and yes I will stop sending you pics of new projects I find for a while ;)

Man I am really happy you let me put this together for you Galen , I am looking forward seeing you taking this to the next level ……. and yes I will stop sending you pics of new projects I find for a while ;)

Lord no, don’t stop yet...the poverty pack needs an FT...or a mechanically converted FTE.

Joe, thanks for the awesome fabrication, parts sourcing, and I’ll see you soon at Roundup.

Wish we had more time with the loader. We could have done all kinds of moving with it.
The axles are pretty much the same that came on my mine truck.

I dont get the appeal of factory tubs, but regardless, another coiled 79 is always awesome

I dont get the appeal of factory tubs, but regardless, another coiled 79 is always awesome
The "appeal" is directly related to availability and cost in the U.S. While the factory beds are still somewhat of a rare commodity, they are available and considerably less expensive than a tray back which seems to be in the $7,000.00 + (USD) range according to Norweld's website.

*Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:

I don’t like the looks of the tray backs but then again you never see them in the Middle East.

Work on the pickup is on temporary hold as I’m in Tel Aviv for work for a week. Been spotting Prados and Hiluxes every day and taking way too many pictures.

Trying to google for a wrecking yard or at least a parts counter to see what diesel parts I Csn scounge. I haven’t seen a full size pickup here on the roads so I’m guessing 79 parts will not be in surplus.

Still an amazing place to visit and there are SO MANY diesels of all shapes and sizes.

85A13D66-2864-4733-AE13-98ED362D16AE.jpeg
61E62DF0-3296-4C47-BAC4-FE7CBB8372C5.jpeg

I’m currently away but I have been busy with online parts procurement.

I contacted @c2dfj45 immediately because the very first thing I wanted - no, NEEDED - was a Satoshi grill. Chris told me what to google and I found the part number in a MUD thread: PZ127-60001. He told me it was available only from Japan and I initially only found it on Amazon Japan - in Japanese only, no English translation on the page. I tried to use the Japanese only webpage, but was super unsuccessful.

Chris redirected me to Impex Japan, which is the only Japanese site that has an English version, and had the grill in stock. It was pricey, but I swallowed hard and bought it.

As this was my first time using Impex, Chris passed on some important advice. You will first place your order and pay. After about 5 days, the parts will be shipped to their warehouse, and you have to log on again and pay for shipping in a second, separate payment. They will then pack and ship the parts. I am now in that limbo. Luckily, I’m not going to need this grill for a year, so I can wait it out.

33233939-DC55-4C6C-94BC-21D02032D959.png

Second, I was able to get a new in bag cowl wiring harness from @lowenbrau ’s spectacular mine truck part out thread.

I am terrified of the wiring that I am going to have to do. Hopefully this cowl harness will make it easier- especially since it is 1999-2006 vintage, meaning old model dash compatible. I am hoping that it takes up at least half of the circuits I’ll have to wire up for this truck. The only saving grace is that I’m running a mechanical diesel- no computer control there.

Pic taken from for sale thread. UPS tells me it was delivered yesterday but I’m 10,000 mi away for the next couple of days.

64217CA2-C4F5-435A-B337-65ED18C52925.jpeg

I sat here in the OR watching my colleague operate and made a comprehensive list of parts that I *might* need from @lowenbrau. Time to compose a lengthy email.

156281B7-EDD5-40D8-B970-56C8905CF444.jpeg

@Onur: The harness, or grill???

BOTH.

for posterity, the harness part number is 82129-60410.

I am trying to collate all the part numbers I am using, (mostly as a reference for myself) just like in my 80 thread.

I’m currently away but I have been busy with online parts procurement.

I contacted @c2dfj45 immediately because the very first thing I wanted - no, NEEDED - was a Satoshi grill. Chris told me what to google and I found the part number in a MUD thread: PZ127-60001. He told me it was available only from Japan and I initially only found it on Amazon Japan - in Japanese only, no English translation on the page. I tried to use the Japanese only webpage, but was super unsuccessful.

Chris redirected me to Impex Japan, which is the only Japanese site that has an English version, and had the grill in stock. It was pricey, but I swallowed hard and bought it.

As this was my first time using Impex, Chris passed on some important advice. You will first place your order and pay. After about 5 days, the parts will be shipped to their warehouse, and you have to log on again and pay for shipping in a second, separate payment. They will then pack and ship the parts. I am now in that limbo. Luckily, I’m not going to need this grill for a year, so I can wait it out.
Such a great grille, the perfect upgrade!

Its already ordered obviously, but for future/others out there it also looks like its available via Ebay Australia(link) from a Toyota dealer in perth. I ordered 70 series floor mats and some other parts this way, and had them forwarded to USA via Parcl. Same Idea as Impex just different country!

Some Satoshi inspiration for you....

20180309_074837_HDR.jpg

20180307_172703.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom