Builds My Costa Rican BJ40 search begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr Cimarron

DRIVE, BREAK, FIX, REPEAT
SILVER Star
Threads
Backstory is wife and I want a 40. We searched locally for awhile there was nothing. Then we decided was want to stay a diesel only household and a FJ40 here in North America isn't going to cut it. Also finding one here thats not a rust bucket, long term project for our budget is not going to happen. Our budget is about 6K. This thread will chronicle my attempt to find a decent BJ40.
The best part of my search is I have a friend in Costa Rica, local born and raised, that is helping me find one. I've been looking for a few months searching the CR used car sites for one that is near him that looks worthy of his time. Today we found one close to him that we considered worthy of a call. For 6K you don't get perfect but you get more than you would here and best of all its diesel.
This one is listed for $3,000,000 Colón which is $5,600 US dollars and states it's a 1977 with 56,500 kilometers. My friend really wants to look at it in person this weekend so I may send him with my list of what to look for.
IMG-20150911-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20150911-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20150911-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20150911-WA0019.jpg

Whether you buy this one or a different one what is your plan for bringing it to the states? Are you going to drive it back or ship it?

Whether you buy this one or a different one what is your plan for bringing it to the states? Are you going to drive it back or ship it?
It depends. If it works out that I have it bought and titled at a time I off work I want to drive it back. If not I will ship it. Starting in October Southwest starts flying to CR with one way fairs ranging from $150-$200 through the end of the year.

If you drive it back bring tools with you and some spare parts.

My buddy and his brother took a look at the 40 this afternoon. According to them its exactly what you would expect for something in Costa Rica. He put me on video chat while it was running. Sounded good. He took 43 photos so here are a few.

IMG_20150912_143547419.jpg
IMG_20150912_143810954.jpg
IMG_20150912_143552396.jpg
IMG_20150912_143803983.jpg
IMG_20150912_143603842.jpg

I love the spirit of the adventure, if you can pull it off I think driving it back would be awesome!
I would love to once I decide to pull the trigger on one but it may take longer than I have time. If I drive I would need a few days with help to baseline the rig before departure. Then a week to get back. Good thing is I have the help their. Both my friend and his brother are shade tree mechanics like myself.

crautos.com
Encuentra24.com

Lots of really nice cruisers down there. Wish I had a bigger budget than what I have set.

Looks like a solid 40 with an interesting color, floor boards look great! love those little 4 banger diesel engines they are indestructible!
So, when are you planning the big trip?:cheers:

Looks like a solid 40 with an interesting color, floor boards look great! love those little 4 banger diesel engines they are indestructible!
So, when are you planning the big trip?:cheers:
All depends on when I find one. Not sold on this one yet. I can't go anywhere due to work till at least November if I drive. I would like to buy one by the beginning of October so I have enough time to get it titled before I head down.

That looks pretty decent.

Color could be factory (under a repaint ) in the mid 70's(74-75) there were OEM orange 40's, even in the US, story on the US orange 40s was that demand in US was high(think 74 was highest 40 sales #), some SA were differred to the US market(with mostly normal us parts), in the US market an OEM orange 40 will have different interior doors, they are paded early type doors. There may have been some green 74s with the same door panel.

That looks pretty decent.

Color could be factory (under a repaint ) in the mid 70's(74-75) there were OEM orange 40's, even in the US, story on the US orange 40s was that demand in US was high(think 74 was highest 40 sales #), some SA were differred to the US market(with mostly normal us parts), in the US market an OEM orange 40 will have different interior doors, they are paded early type doors. There may have been some green 74s with the same door panel.
Trying to get VIN to look it up. I'm also wondering if it was originally from Costa Rica or somewhere else. Most of the CR BJ40s seem to have 70 series marker lights on the front. Maybe it varied.

Called about another one. This happens to be another 1977 with the same orange. This one has 200 kilometers on it and is a little under $4,000. My buddy said it came with a nice story when he called about it.

The car has been in the family since 1997. They are not sure how many owners before them. Everyone loves the car, but no one use it. Only Mr grandpa, who goes to church every Sunday in it. Every once in a while someone else uses it to run errands. They want to sell it to someone who will take good care of the car.

2015-09-19.jpg

2015-09-19-1.jpg

2015-09-19-4.jpg

2015-09-19-6.jpg

2015-09-19-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom