KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding some long overdue pics of the (now OG) Reefs.

Where visible, they're stained with Miniwax Gunstock finish which was a pretty close match to the red toned wood on the LX trim. Sealed with several coats of Polycrylic and topped with cheap marine carpet.

I initially purchased some angled aluminum to protect the leading edge, but then decided to leave it as-is. Figure it's easy enough to add later if things get dinged up and I kinda dig on the baltic edge against the carpet.

Thanks Dave for offering this outstanding kit.

PXL_20220728_022724379.jpg

PXL_20220728_022836355.jpg

PXL_20220728_023026546.jpg

Adding some long overdue pics of the (now OG) Reefs.

Where visible, they're stained with Miniwax Gunstock finish which was a pretty close match to the red toned wood on the LX trim. Sealed with several coats of Polycrylic and topped with cheap marine carpet.

I initially purchased some angled aluminum to protect the leading edge, but then decided to leave it as-is. Figure it's easy enough to add later if things get dinged up and I kinda dig on the baltic edge against the carpet.

Thanks Dave for offering this outstanding kit.

View attachment 3071066

View attachment 3071067

View attachment 3071068
Looks fantastic. Have you had any issues with the edge of the carpet lifting? I’m getting ready to carpet my cabinet and that was my main concern.

Thanks! I was concerned about that too, but no issues so far. I used the stronger variety of the 3M spray and made sure there was extra good coverage near all the edges. Also used some strategic scrap boards and weights on the leading edge to ensure good bonding.

There is one big piece of carpet for the entire top. I aligned and glued down just the center portion and left both wings unglued initially. Then traced the curves on the outside/wing edge and trimmed with scissors. Final step was to glue down the wings and then used a razor blade to carefully cut the straight-lines on the wings.

Thanks! I was concerned about that too, but no issues so far. I used the stronger variety of the 3M spray and made sure there was extra good coverage near all the edges. Also used some strategic scrap boards and weights on the leading edge to ensure good bonding.

There is one big piece of carpet for the entire top. I aligned and glued down just the center portion and left both wings unglued initially. Then traced the curves on the outside/wing edge and trimmed with scissors. Final step was to glue down the wings and then used a razor blade to carefully cut the straight-lines on the wings.
This is the same carpet trimming technique I used, easy and effective!

I have never come across this thread until today! Funny.

I made this last kit, from inspiration from a few directions. Dave from PullKitchen, for general stacked slides. OB0000 for his rear platform general shape, and the fridge drawer must have. Trekkbox for the vertical divider, but I wouldn't do it again...may even remove it for a track inlay. Plyguys UK for their usage of Heksa Ryga Phenolic veneered Baltic Birch ply (they never tell anyone what it is, or where to get it, but I figured it out anyway).

So, it's a simple storage / platform.

We warm weather camp, and sleep in our branded wedge RTT.

The Dometic 30, was unavailable, only came with a manual thermostat, no compressor shroud, and five times the price of our Alpicool D30. So, if you want a D30 in North America, we are the only vendors. www.bjlanders.com. Bluetooth controls, included shroud, and fraction of the price.

The frame is 3/4 tubular steel. The concern over any rust was moot, as we don't live by any ocean, and we don't sleep in the cab.

The slides were as heavy as available, as we used a grade down previous, and just felt they were a bit suspect. both slides extended fully, I can sit on the end, and the cruiser's suspension compresses.

All the panes are 3/4" BB, and they were all cut via a CNC bed. Some final tweaking / routing was done by hand.

A single 100 watt HTFE flexible panel is on the RTT, and charging of the 'house' sealed AGM battery is done via a Renogy 30a DCDC alt+PV controller. All it runs is hatch lights, fridge, and accessory plug for water pump. Fridge draws 24 watt max, 1 watt min.

Things to change; No divided and grid. 1/2' on the drawer carcass to scrub some weight. Powdercoat the frame.

Took two days, to weld, paint, assemble, and install. I had just completed one for a Four Runner, so had it all planned out already.

61948A3C-3B30-4CD9-B709-1B49652C0698_1_201_a.jpeg

C19FE307-AA8B-41C7-924C-85F2984CE8B8.jpeg

C6905250-8A6E-48C9-9A01-B13BD87F2321.jpeg

794AE7AD-7DAB-408B-86D1-E87FB6A94152.jpeg

D5FBAA54-E455-41F5-8E7A-3856FABC5E3D.jpeg

If your drawers are bolted in consider cup holders in the tailgate. If a latch cable/sheath breaks you are f***ed. Cup holders act as excellent access panels. View attachment 3073566
Loving all the build pics everyone, thanks for sharing!

It breaks my heart to say it but I need to give an update, a new day job sucked all the extra time I used to use for LSO away, so until I can 1) hire someone local to do it all, or 2) find a new captain to take the helm, I'm just supporting existing customers if/as I can, I'm sorry. If you're waiting to buy Reef drawers, sign up to be notified on the product pages when they do go back on sale, and connect me to that local or captain I'm looking for and receive a free full Reef setup as a finder's fee ;) Here Be Dragons - the Call for Brave Souls - https://landsharkoutfitters.com/blogs/news/here-be-dragons-the-call-for-brave-souls

Has anyone heard from @cruzerDave or Land Shark Outfitters? Doesn't show when he was last online, or any activity under his name, and his messages are maxed. The website is also down. I was really hopeful that this might be an affordable drawer option for me.

Has anyone heard from @cruzerDave or Land Shark Outfitters? Doesn't show when he was last online, or any activity under his name, and his messages are maxed. The website is also down. I was really hopeful that this might be an affordable drawer option for me.
I saw an update a few months back that sounded like he was going to open the store back up but his site is down now so who knows. It’s too bad as his drawers were great and affordable. Mine have held up great. Even at the height of supply issues he tried his best and was great to update and communicate with supply issues going on.

I think he was looking for a business partner or buyer a while back. It sounded like he was too busy to sustain this business by himself.

I think he was looking for a business partner or buyer a while back. It sounded like he was too busy to sustain this business by himself.
yup, long gone for now.... which is a bummer

Anybody else know any KISS drawer options?
I bought (2) of the first generation KISS drawers. One for my DD, and one for my son’s DD. Then I bought a third 100 series. I have one set of KISS drawers in the “third vehicle”, and one set still in the box, but I’m not terribly motivated to sell. At one point, @suprarx7nut ’s ADGU was a reasonable alternative…

I bought (2) of the first generation KISS drawers. One for my DD, and one for my son’s DD. Then I bought a third 100 series. I have one set of KISS drawers in the “third vehicle”, and one set still in the box, but I’m not terribly motivated to sell. At one point, @suprarx7nut ’s ADGU was a reasonable alternative…
I’m just looking for a single drawer like this one ADGU sent me. I was hopeful they might be an affordable option, but was quoted over 1700 for this one. 😔

1EBF2023-9850-4143-BCF7-F6F7378785CE.png

I saw an update a few months back that sounded like he was going to open the store back up but his site is down now so who knows. It’s too bad as his drawers were great and affordable. Mine have held up great. Even at the height of supply issues he tried his best and was great to update and communicate with supply issues going on.

I think at this point we can say they were *too* affordable.

We (ADGU) talked to Dave about his business and the looming sale in late 2022. I think he did a great thing for the community and it sounded like an amazing real world business lesson for his kid(s). It also sounded like too much to handle as a for-fun side gig and not profitable enough to hire employees as a genuine business (and presumably now we can say not profitable enough to sell to somebody else). We know what all that material, labor, machining, SGA costs. The meat on that bone was either slim or absent.

Thanks for the plug! We do have some awesome options, but nothing near the bottom of the market in terms of price. Our customer base keeps pulling us up-market and we follow where they lead.

I’m just looking for a single drawer like this one ADGU sent me. I was hopeful they might be an affordable option, but was quoted over 1700 for this one. 😔

View attachment 3403933

We do offer a cubby option where the drawer assembly is removed. That's a great way to reduce cost without sacrificing quality. That was actually how ADGU as a company started - minimalist storage platforms with integrated sleeping panels. Doing a "proper" drawer that lasts off-road is a significant thing, so removing the drawer box can save some $$. If you'd like pricing on that drawer-less single cubby I'd be happy to work up a quote.

-Andy

View attachment 3403933

If you can cut a reasonably straight line with a jigsaw then you can build one like Landshark offers via the DIY route. I built mine but only because Dave wasn't taking orders at the time and I needed to get something installed. I don't think ADGU had a 200-series drawer system at the time (IIRC it was released right afterwards, but I could be mistaken and had just missed it). I have a parts list around here somewhere, but in the end it was about $500 in material all-in, plus probably 20 hours of labor (though I'm slow careful and methodical). A good set of drawer slides would add another $100 or so.

I noted in the thread but I'll re-state it here though, the UHMW slides are ok for light duty, but I have 100# or more in the drawer and it's a serious challenge to slide it out. I like the UHMW slides because they give a bit of extra space, but even now I'm still inclined at times to try to figure out how to retrofit normal slides. (I think I could do it with bottom-mount slides, but I'd lose the awesome slide-out table...)

1692366184014.png

I think at this point we can say they were *too* affordable.

We do offer a cubby option where the drawer assembly is removed. That's a great way to reduce cost without sacrificing quality. That was actually how ADGU as a company started - minimalist storage platforms with integrated sleeping panels. Doing a "proper" drawer that lasts off-road is a significant thing, so removing the drawer box can save some $$. If you'd like pricing on that drawer-less single cubby I'd be happy to work up a quote.

-Andy
I never found out how much Dave charged, but I suppose you are probably right.

I hope nobody thought I was disparaging you Andy or ADGU. I am really excited that you guys are around and doing well. Your products look very high quality. Just a little out of my range at the moment. I would love to get a price on a drawer-less single cubby. Especially if it allows a drawer to be added down the road. I can reply to your email or you could PM me.
If you can cut a reasonably straight line with a jigsaw then you can build one like Landshark offers via the DIY route. I built mine but only because Dave wasn't taking orders at the time and I needed to get something installed. I don't think ADGU had a 200-series drawer system at the time (IIRC it was released right afterwards, but I could be mistaken and had just missed it). I have a parts list around here somewhere, but in the end it was about $500 in material all-in, plus probably 20 hours of labor (though I'm slow careful and methodical). A good set of drawer slides would add another $100 or so.

I noted in the thread but I'll re-state it here though, the UHMW slides are ok for light duty, but I have 100# or more in the drawer and it's a serious challenge to slide it out. I like the UHMW slides because they give a bit of extra space, but even now I'm still inclined at times to try to figure out how to retrofit normal slides. (I think I could do it with bottom-mount slides, but I'd lose the awesome slide-out table...)

View attachment 3404141
Thanks for chiming in Geoff and for texting with me earlier. I really like how yours turned out. It still blows my mind that a single drawer could cost $600 in parts alone. If that is even close to accurate, and the fact that I have no woodworking tools or skills, I better just save my pennies for something premade, or used.

I never found out how much Dave charged, but I suppose you are probably right.

I hope nobody thought I was disparaging you Andy or ADGU. I am really excited that you guys are around and doing well. Your products look very high quality. Just a little out of my range at the moment. I would love to get a price on a drawer-less single cubby. Especially if it allows a drawer to be added down the road. I can reply to your email or you could PM me.

Thanks for chiming in Geoff and for texting with me earlier. I really like how yours turned out. It still blows my mind that a single drawer could cost $600 in parts alone. If that is even close to accurate, and the fact that I have no woodworking tools or skills, I better just save my pennies for something premade, or used.
I paid just under $900 shipped for two drawers. Air down drawers are super nice but man $2700 is definitely no where near affordable for two drawers. Have u looked at the ARB, Dobinson, or DFG Off-road Drawers? Those might hit your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom