I just got the deal of a lifetime (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right now I am still evaluating what I do and do not need. I also don't see the need for other folks to make decisions for me, or demands on me. If you don't like that fact, don't follow the thread.

Most of us down here in the sty think of this as “our place” to hang out and shoot the bull, share pictures and stories and with that a certain vibe develops based on the cast of characters participating at the time. We have our inside jokes that make most of us smile like “post pictures” or “$5000 budget” but I guarantee you that you will be hard pressed to find an automotive forum anywhere on the internet and find a less judgmental or more helpful group of guys and gals, if anything said to you up to this point in this thread is making you reply with “making demands on me” or “don’t follow the thread” I believe you are either “A” overly sensitive or “B” taking things out of context and are overly sensitive.

I am considering whether this is the right venue for me. I have no need for other peoples demands, I already pretty much do everything for myself anyway.......

If this isn’t the right venue for you then probably best you go back to the cat forums (https://thecatsite.com) and not post pictures of your cat.

You say that you can pretty much do everything for yourself on the 55 and you clearly don’t need or want any of our help nor do you enjoy our company so I really don’t know why you are still here but I would encourage you to say anyway. As I’ve said before this is one of the best group of guys anywhere and as you’ll soon discover there are very specific FJ55 parts and knowledge and nowhere on the internet will you get better access to both. So let’s start over and let me tell you about some of the guys that have already commented on your thread and what they bring to this community.

The Grumpy guy from “GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LIVE FREE OR DIE” @bobm is an incredible fabricator and he makes FJ55 body patch panels that wouldn’t exist otherwise and sells them for not much more than the cost to make them just to help the rest of us.

@Gordobe is a great dude, the first time I met Gordobe I was literally stranded on the side of a mountain and he stayed with us for 8 hours to help repair my 55 and make sure we got off the mountain safely.

@RUSH55 is a heck of a fabricator all around good guy, he is always one of the first guys to chime in and offer advice when someone has a question.

@Ol Yeller Has a really cool 55 project going on right now with lots of interesting content on his build thread, definitely worth a look.

@Megadoomer is our resident color coordinator, when any of us are struggling trying to find that perfect color the Doomer always comes in and nails it on the first try.

@scrapdaddy is a wizard with budgets, this man will show you how to really stretch a dollar when restoring a 55. It’s truly unbelievable how much he can accomplish with so little and how he has helped the rest of us do the same.

@LAMBCRUSHER You literally woke him up from the dead with your “I just got the deal of a lifetime” thread and we are all better off for it, Lambcrusher is a wealth of knowledge and has been MIA for a while now.

@wngrog If you want to take a picture or make rust shiny there is no better to ask.

@PabloCruise He is a wiz with dealer installed A/C systems and glove box handles.

Me I’m really good at origami, if you ever need to make a peacock from a waffle house menu I’m here for you.

I’m sure I forgot a few but you get the idea these are a solid group of guys and you should give them a second chance.

I’m never going to get to see that ambulance door........
Let’s take this one step at a time, we are trying to talk him off the ledge and asking for pictures is what got him up there in the first place. Once we get him back on solid ground might give it a few days before you traumatize him with multiple ambulance door photo request.

Please excuse our enthusiasm. We all like to see everyone’s projects. This is the best forum I’ve ever been on. My build is mostly stagnant due to caregiving responsibilities after my wife’s stroke. Several of this group of “demanding knuckleheads “ offered to drive from different states to help me work on mine, and even asked what parts were needed. I’ve been “harassed and cajoled” about my choice of tire size, yet I didn’t get myself worked up. Maybe the current state of this country is affecting your sense of humor? This is supposed to be fun as well as informative. Take a deep breath and realize it’s only metal.

Love all of it, haha.

Also, @J Mack is really good at product testing. If he can't break it, it's probably the best thing ever made.

@fj55-100 is a supercharger expert. He has a roots blower on his shop air compressor.

@cruiserjunktion is an activist and hands out free clothing on the highway.

Yup, best place going this, such an awesome group, so helpful when it counts... :beer:

Most of us down here in the sty think of this as “our place” to hang out and shoot the bull, share pictures and stories and with that a certain vibe develops based on the cast of characters participating at the time. We have our inside jokes that make most of us smile like “post pictures” or “$5000 budget” but I guarantee you that you will be hard pressed to find an automotive forum anywhere on the internet and find a less judgmental or more helpful group of guys and gals, if anything said to you up to this point in this thread is making you reply with “making demands on me” or “don’t follow the thread” I believe you are either “A” overly sensitive or “B” taking things out of context and are overly sensitive.

If this isn’t the right venue for you then probably best you go back to the cat forums (TheCatSite) and not post pictures of your cat.

You say that you can pretty much do everything for yourself on the 55 and you clearly don’t need or want any of our help nor do you enjoy our company so I really don’t know why you are still here but I would encourage you to say anyway. As I’ve said before this is one of the best group of guys anywhere and as you’ll soon discover there are very specific FJ55 parts and knowledge and nowhere on the internet will you get better access to both. So let’s start over and let me tell you about some of the guys that have already commented on your thread and what they bring to this community.

The Grumpy guy from “GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LIVE FREE OR DIE” @bobm is an incredible fabricator and he makes FJ55 body patch panels that wouldn’t exist otherwise and sells them for not much more than the cost to make them just to help the rest of us.

@Gordobe is a great dude, the first time I met Gordobe I was literally stranded on the side of a mountain and he stayed with us for 8 hours to help repair my 55 and make sure we got off the mountain safely.

@RUSH55 is a heck of a fabricator all around good guy, he is always one of the first guys to chime in and offer advice when someone has a question.

@Ol Yeller Has a really cool 55 project going on right now with lots of interesting content on his build thread, definitely worth a look.

@Megadoomer is our resident color coordinator, when any of us are struggling trying to find that perfect color the Doomer always comes in and nails it on the first try.

@scrapdaddy is a wizard with budgets, this man will show you how to really stretch a dollar when restoring a 55. It’s truly unbelievable how much he can accomplish with so little and how he has helped the rest of us do the same.

@LAMBCRUSHER You literally woke him up from the dead with your “I just got the deal of a lifetime” thread and we are all better off for it, Lambcrusher is a wealth of knowledge and has been MIA for a while now.

@wngrog If you want to take a picture or make rust shiny there is no better to ask.

@PabloCruise He is a wiz with dealer installed A/C systems and glove box handles.

Me I’m really good at origami, if you ever need to make a peacock from a waffle house menu I’m here for you.

I’m sure I forgot a few but you get the idea these are a solid group of guys and you should give them a second chance.

Thanks for this @J Mack
I was a couple drinks in last night and had worked out a much rowdier response than yours, but didn’t post it. I don’t come here for drama. I come here to escape drama. Cruisers are a passion for people like us - that’s why we’re here. If that’s something some random newb can’t comprehend, it’s not my problem. Was very interested in this thread because the rig supposedly comes out of the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness in the center of Idaho, which had zero vehicle access. And in case anyone reading this wasn’t aware, I’m a huge Idaho fan-boy. ATM, if this doesn’t turn around 180 degrees from its current trajectory, I won’t be back to chime in...

On the upside, thanks @J Mack and @RUSH55, I now know exactly who to bug when I run into the next wall :)
Great list!

1594487250772.jpeg

No offense, but really reading this from start, 800 original miles and there are broken seats, ????? One would expect a lot less wear with this.
Instead of focusing on 800 miles, it may help to think of it as a ranch truck with 46 years of experience.

Holy Moly, I just walked in to my motel room after driving all day, not to mention grumpy and I read all this. I haven't talked to my wife in four hours and you guys just made me laugh out loud. I'm all better now thanks to all you. :) Let me say, I'm just here to see guys in sandals. :rofl:

Hey Carbon, we're all here to learn and laugh at the same time and mostly at each other. You either like that kind thing or not, move on or stay, have some fun and learn stuff. 🤷‍♂️

I have some photos, including the ambi doors, but I need to process them, I don't do the phone camera thing.
My brother is trying to get images from the lodge with Loretta Lynn, John Denver, Jimmy Carter and others with this rig. Have a little patience, we'll see what I can come up with.

I have some photos, including the ambi doors, but I need to process them, I don't do the phone camera thing.
My brother is trying to get images from the lodge with Loretta Lynn, John Denver, Jimmy Carter and others with this rig. Have a little patience, we'll see what I can come up with.

Fantastic

Instead of focusing on 800 miles, it may help to think of it as a ranch truck with 46 years of experience.

Actually, I did think of that. If you do the math, 800 miles over 46 years is ~ 18 miles a year ? Now I know it is not miles alone but it is a metric. It is one would expect even a farm truck not to have that kind of issues unless it sat and was a playground and a chew toy. When one sees "low mileage", one expects low wear. Even if aging and patina comes into play. Others have told you many experienced people are here and a lot can be found , so do not take it personal if things are seen that conflicts with original thoughts.

Wow this COVID thing is really gots peeps powered up. I’m not a sappy guy until it comes to my wife (and boy it comes). But when my engine blew a head gasket on the the way to a pig meet and all the members at the pig meet were ready to send out a rescue party to me from a 1000 miles away, that’s when I understood what the term brethren meant.... This group is nothing less then that but a whole lot more.

I do know that If I consolidated the roughist 800 miles of the pig I had in the 70’s, then yes that poor girl was pretty whooped. It was me airplane, helicopter, submarine and brothel (that is what broke my front seat). I could see how some isolated ranch hands could do some serious damage to the only set of wheels in an area that has no official roads.

I’ve been driving one pig or another for close 47 years and nothing surprises me when it comes man and machine (or a pig)

pig speed to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom