Labor of love, no doubt about that... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I reset the float level and I think I got it a bit low this time, but while I was in there I found this! Lame.
I put the old leather accelerator pump back in and I'll hope for the best.
It starts much easier now...

View attachment 3566673
Aw man, that is lame! I hope the old-school leather pump does the trick.

As for the float level - 3rd time is the charm, eh?

Aw man, that is lame! I hope the old-school leather pump does the trick.

As for the float level - 3rd time is the charm, eh?
Let's hope.
Fuel injection is the charm.
Carburetors build character, and maybe once you've done a lot of them tumors...

As for the distributor you asked about. I was able to turn it until I got roughly 12° of advanced for base timing. I locked it down there, and messed with other things. Didn't restab the distributor and I may not restab the distributor.

Last edited:
So. With my new, lower float level (too low really) I have 3 cold starts, all way easier. Not necessarily because of the float level adjustment but the float level adjustment was what prompted me to pull the top off of the carb which is when I discovered my accelerator enrichment pump seal was perforated. With three successful cold starts under my belt I decided to take it for a drive. Everything worked well enough on my trip to town, I pointed it up Cohasset road and drove all the way to the mountain store up there, which was closed. Noteworthy is that my fj55 drove the whole climb in 3rd gear doing 45-50 mph.
Previously, sections of it were 35mph 2nd gear crawls. I'll fine tune the float level back upwards but I think that for now my carb and ignition are working about as good as can be expected. It's running real nice. Makes me wish I had someplace to be!

So. With my new, lower float level (too low really) I have 3 cold starts, all way easier. Not necessarily because of the float level adjustment but the float level adjustment was what prompted me to pull the top off of the carb which is when I discovered my accelerator enrichment pump seal was perforated. With three successful cold starts under my belt I decided to take it for a drive. Everything worked well enough on my trip to town, I pointed it up Cohasset road and drove all the way to the mountain store up there, which was closed. Noteworthy is that my fj55 drove the whole climb in 3rd gear doing 45-50 mph.
Previously, sections of it were 35mph 2nd gear crawls. I'll fine tune the float level back upwards but I think that for now my carb and ignition are working about as good as can be expected. It's running real nice. Makes me wish I had someplace to be!
Sounds awesome! You are getting through the tough stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom