My 1969 FJ55 The Iron Rat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I acquired this 55 via 2-way swap deal and ended up with a decent 55. Never owned one, didn't need it, kinda dig it.

I'm going back on what's been done and how it all started.

When I got it:

20230510_170137.jpg
20230510_165212.jpg
20230510_165328.jpg

Spent a bunch of time and much anxiety cleaning this thing out. Between the several dead rodent carcasses, poo, ya know. Bad.

I've completely revived the cooling system (new hoses, new housings, thermostat, belt, water pump... all new heater hoses. Rebuilt the rear heater.

All the gauges and senders now work. The horn and the dome light and most of the outside lights.

Redid the front seat.

Lots more electrical stuff. Because I dislike glass fuses, replaced the original crusty fuse block with a shiny new one from Blue Sea.

Fixed the broken (chewed) wire to the gas tank. Gauge works now!

New pluq wires. Newer battery.

Removed the crusty headliner and felt stuff.

In the process of getting the rear tailgate all sorted out. New OEM terminal block, rebuilt the regulator, just received a new gear from Shapeways.

Pics later.

Yeah, I would of freaked out seeing that interior. Sounds like you've done plenty of good work it. 69 or 68?
It's a 69.

The interior looks slightly better now

20230920_092802.jpg

Yeah, I'd said that is slightly better. :) Looks like someone converted it to a floor shift.

Not sure. The shift diagram on the glovebox door looks like a floor shift

So the 2 newest challenges are the fuel pump is now leaking, and the rear window won't work at all.

I removed the rear window regulator, cleaned it up, put a shapeways gear from fj55_100 in it (there was no gear at all before!).

But the motor won't turn at all, whether on my workbench or plugged into the truck. Connected a 12V source to the motor leads: white/black negative, positive to either of the other wires, all I get is sparks. No matter how I connect it.

Could I have put the gear in backwards? It didn't seem to matter and looks like it doesn't.

BTW this truck is for sale. I'd like to sell it to finance the build on my 67 FJ40... :)

20230920_111551.jpg
How it looks now on the outside. Yeah, it's got some rust. :frown:

But it runs and drives, the brakes work, the coolant system works, the gauges work, the headlights and wipers are horn, too!

So the 2 newest challenges are the fuel pump is now leaking, and the rear window won't work at all.

I removed the rear window regulator, cleaned it up, put a shapeways gear from fj55_100 in it (there was no gear at all before!).

But the motor won't turn at all, whether on my workbench or plugged into the truck. Connected a 12V source to the motor leads: white/black negative, positive to either of the other wires, all I get is sparks. No matter how I connect it.

Could I have put the gear in backwards? It didn't seem to matter and looks like it doesn't.

BTW this truck is for sale. I'd like to sell it to finance the build on my 67 FJ40... :)
The gear orientation won’t have anything to do with the motor operation. Sounds like the motor is shorted.

During all this, I refurbed/cleaned the rear heater. All new hoses and clamps, too.

20230906_083354.jpg
20230907_085746.jpg

The reason I don't tend to do build threads is I don't take "before" pics and rarely take "after" ones. I just dive in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom