My 1969 FJ55 The Iron Rat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work! Say, where did you source your seat covers?

Not covers, but complete new seat upholstery. New foam and vinyl. From Specter Off-Road.

Not covers, but complete new seat upholstery. New foam and vinyl. From Specter Off-Road.

Thanks. Its either CC or SOR. Both decent options.

The gear orientation won’t have anything to do with the motor operation. Sounds like the motor is shorted.

Yeah that makes sense.

So a continuity check from either wire to the ground wire will tell me if the motor is bad, right? Disconnected from the truck of course.

Spent a bunch of time and much anxiety cleaning this thing out. Between the several dead rodent carcasses, poo, ya know. Bad.

I've completely revived the cooling system (new hoses, new housings, thermostat, belt, water pump... all new heater hoses. Rebuilt the rear heater.

All the gauges and senders now work. The horn and the dome light and most of the outside lights.

Redid the front seat.

Lots more electrical stuff. Because I dislike glass fuses, replaced the original crusty fuse block with a shiny new one from Blue Sea.

Fixed the broken (chewed) wire to the gas tank. Gauge works now!

New pluq wires. Newer battery.

Removed the crusty headliner and felt stuff.

In the process of getting the rear tailgate all sorted out. New OEM terminal block, rebuilt the regulator, just received a new gear from Shapeways.

Pics later.
You are on the move - great work!!!

So the 2 newest challenges are the fuel pump is now leaking, and the rear window won't work at all.

I removed the rear window regulator, cleaned it up, put a shapeways gear from fj55_100 in it (there was no gear at all before!).

But the motor won't turn at all, whether on my workbench or plugged into the truck. Connected a 12V source to the motor leads: white/black negative, positive to either of the other wires, all I get is sparks. No matter how I connect it.

Could I have put the gear in backwards? It didn't seem to matter and looks like it doesn't.

BTW this truck is for sale. I'd like to sell it to finance the build on my 67 FJ40... :)
What does motor do w/ no gear and direct connection to battery?

Rear seat upholstery kit incoming!

View attachment 3461124How it looks now on the outside. Yeah, it's got some rust. :frown:

But it runs and drives, the brakes work, the coolant system works, the gauges work, the headlights and wipers are horn, too!

this right here.......some 30x9.5 BFG ATs and rock on. Perfect driver.

wouldn't touch a thing.

OK a few updates and more pics

Got the rear seat upholstery kit from SOR

20231103_144958.jpg
20231103_144725.jpg

20231105_152251.jpg

More pics

Driver's footwell above the body mount

20231024_075832.jpg

Passenger door rocker

20231024_075854.jpg

Detail of above

20231024_075928.jpg

Inside the rocker panel looking forward

20231024_075902.jpg

Overall rear shot, gas tank etc

20231024_080045.jpg

It’s all opportunity!!!

So that's a wrap. Listed here in the Classified section. Asking $12K.

It's a pretty good project. As for me it needs to go I have other stuff I want to work on. I do think it's a very cool rig and if circumstances were different I'd keep it and fix it. Needs to go to a good loving home that appreciates pigs for what they are!

Well that was quick…but understandable with the amount of metal work.

Well that was quick…but understandable with the amount of metal work.

It was always the plan. I just wanted to clean it out, redo the seats and get some stuff working, get it running, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom