El Cochiloco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased an FJ60 2 years ago at the recommendation of @Cruddz in order to be able to go on runs and just have a cool experience of getting out and doing fun things with my friends. As a side hobby, over the past two years I have taken detours, side roads, and back alley's in order to find and spot any and all LC's to report back to Alvis for acquisition.

I have found several models that he passed on, were too pricey, or were otherwise unfit for him to take on. One day in December of last year, I found an fj40 that I immediately thought he would enjoy. He then drove out and purchased this 40 and it is under construction. He already had a donor 40 shell, and as a finder's fee for the 40 I found him in December, it was agreed he would sell me the 40 shell. While dreaming of finding the 2f that i would plan on rebuilding for my next project, I sought out to look at inspiration and ideas on the 40 & 55 forum. The really interesting pages I found belonged to @wngrog, and a quote that he had resonated with me: Paint is for pussies. Considering that my 60 had sick patiner, I was not about to paint my future 40 that I spend all day dreaming about. But while I roamed his builds, I was surprised at how much I admired his 55. Unbeknownst to me, my fate would lead me to a pig of my own.

I was driving these neighborhoods back to the office, when I found this gem in hiding. I parked, and as fate would have it, the female owner of the truck came outside to water her desert plants. I said, ma'am, is this truck for sale. She responded, well it ain't a truck, it's a Toyota, and yes, it is for sale. Without hesitation, I asked the price, as I knew @Cruddz was willing to buy this pig site unseen. When the price was cited, I knew, this will no belong to this lady by the end of this weekend.

6B949B88-B583-4A58-828E-26DB02E4BFC7.jpeg

A4987D8E-2FBA-4578-BE9C-49A6845224BF.jpeg

So Mr. Clark, the lady's husband, came home and we spoke about the truck, and we hashed out the deets and I confirmed the lady's quote. He said, yes sir, that's the price. I pulled some resources together, and lo and behold, the pig was ready to be picked up today, 2019/04/07.
IMG_2195.jpg
Mr. Clark ran through the whole history, stating that this truck belonged to a former sergeant out in Fort Huachuca, AZ. He bought it '94 and used it for hunting, as evidenced by the shotgun shells, sleeping bags, and other crap that was piled up in there prior to me getting this gem. Along with the truck, which had an electric fuel pump and chevy distributed, this truck had original floor jack, original owner's manual from 1976, 2 original rims, and floor mats. The crappy part was major rust on the floor boards pasenger side and a bit on some of the wheel wells.

Oh well.

And, for some unknown reason, every LC I purchase has an electric fuel pump routed to a makeshift gas canister, in this case, an aluminum can. SICK MOD.

Well, Mr. Clark told me I would need a tow, so I called @Cruddz to assist, and also said I would have to trailer it home, as the brakes were shot. Well we used to listen to punk rock, and there was a song called Moron Brothers...
IMG_0868.JPG
Mr. Clark had an old battery that did not charge, so he demonstrated, with much success, manually starting the rig! We drove a quarter block and realized that driving the truck under its own power was unreasonable, since it is an unmoveable force. So we had to use some old fashioned Cotton City ingenuity
IMG_0870.JPG

We created a Land Cruiser Centipede running his 60 and my 55 ATM style. If you don't know, now you know.
IMG_0872.JPG

She's home. I am off to California for a couple weeks. I will be dreaming. Tasks will through my mind. There is too much to talk about. Almost overwhelmed. confused. lost. flabbergasted. psyched. ready. Let's get this pig back on the road. All Hail Swine Flu.

El Cochiloco. 666.

Last edited:
Congrats amigo!

Thanks Hank!
I remember we went on that relic run last year, I saw your ride and was like damn, that thing should be in a show room. I hope I can take this on that run next year again
Me too! It would be great to have another pig in mix. Couldn't be happier for you man.

Since I cannot do any mechanical assignments at this time, I decided to clear out as much of the interior as the 2 hour window of sun light would allot. The floorboards looked like god damn Desert Storm.
IMG_0351.JPG
Unfortunately, the rubber mat on the driver side was melted to the floorboard, and could not come out in a complete piece. But I damn sure tried.
IMG_0354.JPG

Looking at the engine bay, You can see the sick EFP mini canister. Dropping the gas tank and doing the brakes are the top priority at this moment, since it starts, though the lord knows there are a plethora of to-do's on the mechanicals.
IMG_0340.JPG

I found some gems that were in the glove box. I am sure some of these things would make a cruiser die hard get hard.
IMG_0356.JPG

Then I shifted my attention to this military bag, which was briefly mentioned by Mr. Clark. I damn near chit my pants. Can someone confirm these are original Toyota issued tool kit?
IMG_0357.JPG

Nice stash!

I can’t comment on the tools but certainly the roll is not original.

No toyota badging on the tools, but it is unusual that the tools resemble what would have been provided in a oem tool kit.

I did find a Toyota badged spark plug socket! score!

That tool kit looks an awful lot like the ones provided by every Japanese motorcycle company in the 70’s and 80’s...

Nothing wrong with the quality, generally. But not “Toyota”

Nice score man! Glad you are here. Your thread always leaves me laughing my ass off. There are tons of people here to help with advice and parts. Your truck is better than most so it should be a piece of cake, right?

All Pigs are F’d by design. Piece of Cake need not apply.

Everything is a piece of cake on a 55. Simple, durable wiring, abundance of spare parts, amazing resistance to rusting, many common parts to other cruisers,

c'mon man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom