I finally get the shop I have wanted for too long (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here’s an interesting perspective.
Before, during and after.

D85DA351-E9BD-4CD5-8FC2-194BA0ADA688.jpeg
AD7910A3-D057-4D2C-AC12-6A89983AA95D.jpeg
0ECF0FF6-7967-43C8-8410-7E1A18B2DF8E.jpeg

To say we had issues with the architect would be the politest statement I could make.

Just out of curiosity, was it an actual Registered Architect? As one myself, I find a lot of the time people say "architect" it's just some CAD jockey without a license.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Registered Architects that are good on paper, but not so much in real life. There are a lot of reasons for that, but I think a lot of it comes down to the emphasis on college degrees and book learning instead of actual practical experience - something that seems to be an issue in a lot of fields these days.

@PAToyota to my knowledge he is a licensed architect. I had to have stamped drawings for my permits.

I think he was in a hurry to produce the drawings before he left on vacation. He and I never had a conversation. The person I contracted with gave him the information, which was part of the problem.

Thank you for the reply. As I said, I'm just curious about such things.

So his contract was with the contractor? I always work directly with the client. Part of the duty of an Architect is to act as the client's representative.

The bright side is that you got this far without a conversation on the project. Usually fatal.

Thank you for the reply. As I said, I'm just curious about such things.

So his contract was with the contractor? I always work directly with the client. Part of the duty of an Architect is to act as the client's representative.

Are you open to work? I've got house project I could use an architect for.

I received a belated anniversary gift from my wife today!

E447E9C9-6574-418D-A0AE-5C414DC65D7E.jpeg

Now that’s a keeper.

I mean your wife!!!

Are you open to work? I've got house project I could use an architect for.
I'm currently only licensed in Pennsylvania. Really, you want someone local to your project site. The first thing is to be familiar with local codes, contractors, code officials, and so forth. Someone not in the local "loop" is really at a disadvantage. Secondly is not being able to be there on a regular basis to follow the construction, answer the little questions, and make sure everything is on track. More and more is being done with video conferences and digital scanning and such to "see" a project from afar. But I still don't feel that it is as good as being "hands on" to something.

I do have colleagues with licenses in a dozen states that will fly in to their various projects. Obviously, you're paying for that $$$-wise for the travel (and the ego). Beyond that, that sort of thing works for "big image" projects. A college campus project, hospital, hotel, or such does fine with someone to give the "big picture" for a project and then most of the work is done by local consultants - who often have to work around that "big picture" to actually meet the needs of the project, local codes, and such.

I put a gravel apron around the porch today. I was tired of the rain splashing mud on the porch and tracking mud in the shop for days after a rain. I also needed a little more elevation at the edge when driving into the shop.

I made the queen of our castle happy by installing the sign she brought for me.

BBADDD44-AE00-438B-8F43-4CA65B768B85.jpeg
F0041232-3B91-4E6B-8844-2CCDC36FFDCC.jpeg
8010BDB1-347E-4F7E-A294-E5A9C91B2EF3.jpeg
DCDBEF25-B842-4108-A671-FE3BC406B319.jpeg

I didn't even know MUD had a workshop section til you referenced it elsewhere. Man... so many cool builds. Love this Michael... well done. Looking forward to following along for the interior finishing.

You'll be installing rain gutters at some point?

Right now the plan is no gutters. The oak tree puts out too many leaves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom