I finally get the shop I have wanted for too long (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. I'm sure you're glad to get to this point. I noticed your doors are on the "low" side of the building and you have to drive across the porch area. No concern with headroom? Hard to tell how much clearance you have at the porch eave.

Porch clearance was an issue during this build. I was supposed to have 9’ high doors but the clearance under the porch is 7’3”. The garage doors are 8’ high. To say we had issues with the architect would be the politest statement I could make.

Porch clearance was an issue during this build. I was supposed to have 9’ high doors but the clearance under the porch is 7’3”. The garage doors are 8’ high. To say we had issues with the architect would be the politest statement I could make.
That is a bummer. I just had a friend finish up a fairly nice RV garage, only to find out that their RV does not fit by 1'. Same thing, the architect screwed it up.

What about removing this facade or trim piece (in yellow)? It looks like it is at least 8" and would let you use the whole 8' height of the doors without really changing the look of the shop. But I guess if none of your vehicles are over 7'3'', then it doesn't matter.

51659974336_efce4e56b0_c.jpg

The blue trim is actually 16” tall and is covering the bar joists which support the 20’ openings between the posts. If you scroll back through the pictures you can see them before they were covered.

The blue trim is actually 16” tall and is covering the bar joists which support the 20’ openings between the posts. If you scroll back through the pictures you can see them before they were covered.

Yes I did see that. I'm neither an architect nor engineer so this is only a guess, but it looks like that horizontal support is not load bearing and more for shear? If the trim is 16" tall, it might be possible to move up the horizontal support 8", shortening the trim to 8", and giving you another 8" of clearance.

51660821614_809f7fb4f9_c.jpg

Those bar joists are 16” tall and are supporting the porch trusses.

Ok. I see it now. Yeah nothing you can do. Regardless, still a sweet shop and 7'3" is enough to clear an 80 on 37"s.

If it ever becomes a serious issue then just cut in another door on the backside.
Or let the air out of the tires if it is a challenge. You might be able to place a smaller metal ibeam down the road.

Where’s your lift going?

Directly through the 10’ door on the right, 15’ off the back wall.

You need a good 12’+/- for the lift. If 15’ from back wall allows you to lift rig without issue awesome. Does this align with apex? If not it might make sense to position posts directly blow apex.

The wall height of the shop is 12’. With that distance from the back wall it is 15’-16’ directly over the posts.

Very nice work. Looking to build a Barndaminium someday so looking for ideas and pitfalls.

The building shell was $40,900.00. The concrete was another $24,000.00.

Wow! Turned out great.

Im uber jealous of all that space you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom