Gas tank building excessive pressure & fuel smell. Dangerous for sure! Why does this happen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had this issue with and without full Dissent skids. In fact the single worst time I had fuel boiling out of my filler neck was without any after market skids. So I've ruled that out as a main cause, it could however be a factor in making a vehicle without a properly maintained cooling system run even hotter.
I notice you've a less than one yr old new radiator. Was the: "single worst time I had fuel boiling out of my filler neck was without any after market skids" with the old radiator?. Did you happen to monitor engine temp during that time period?

Within the last 2 months I've done:

O2 sensors (pre cat)
Fuel Pump (OEM)
Fan Clutch (OEM)
Built heat shield and wrapped fuel lines
Radiator is less than a year old (OEM)
Coolant is fresh and correct

Truck runs cool. Never see it get above 190.

I leave for Silverton on Sunday to run trails all next week. So I'll be testing with and without Ethanol free fuel. I will also be recording engine temp the whole time.

I was going to swap out EVAP system parts too before I leave but I want to do some testing and see what works. If I replace everything at once we won't get a lot data. Parts I have on hand with me to swap out during the trip are all the vacuum lines under the hood, VCS (2586050100) under hood, fuel pressure regulator (2328050050) and CC. All OEM parts. I'll keep everyone posted!
Were you seeing the same "Truck runs cool. Never see it get above 190." before doing above list of PM and heat shield build? Or did you monitor ECT!

I'm not trying to pick on you. Just looking for more color and timeline.

I notice you've a less than one yr old new radiator. Was the: "single worst time I had fuel boiling out of my filler neck was without any after market skids" with the old radiator?. Did you happen to monitor engine temp during that time period?

Were you seeing the same "Truck runs cool. Never see it get above 190." before doing above list of PM and heat shield build? Or did you monitor ECT!

I'm not trying to pick on you. Just looking for more color and timeline.

When I got the truck the first thing I did was a coolant flush with the proper Toyota coolant. While towing a trailer I got above 220 on a mountain pass during a heat wave, never saw the stock temp gauge move. Thats the highest I ever saw it go and it was only for a brief pass. This was the timeframe I had the worst boiling incident. When I replaced the radiator I saw the engine temps returned to normal (under 200) but I had the boiling fuel issue again in Death Valley (not high altitude) but not as bad with the new radiator. I also had it last year at HIHs. Both post new radiator incidents did have the fuel coming out the filler neck, just not as much. During HIH I noticed my floorboards were getting REALLY warm with the truck on ALL day and in low range a lot, so I replaced the muffler shortly after HIH (it was pretty banged up, so I suspected a leak. see my post history). Last fall a trip to the Yosemite area with all day driving lead to no issues at all, although there wasn't much off-roading involved on that trip.

This spring I have done O2 sensors, fuel pump, fan clutch (I think this was key!) and heat shield. So right now I'm running very cool, so next week will be good testing. If I still boil then I think its from damaged EVAP system parts when the engine was getting too hot previously and over loading the EVAP system.

As for Dissent Skids, they cover approximately the same amount as all 3 Slee skids. It is also a 3 skid system.

One point on my issue: It's never happened on road. It's only ever happened on slow trail accents on rocky roads, if I'm on a warm trail and rocking back and forth a lot, I know its coming! It's also never happened with ethanol free gas. Each time I had the issue happen I took it into a very well respected Land Cruiser shop and had the whole thing gone through including the EVAP test. I have full records and there were no previous heat issues, it was a soccer mom truck in southern california it's whole life. 160k miles.

This is happening to me on road and off and while towing my trailer or not. At altitudes above 4000 and above 82 degrees. Like many of you, I have full skids.

Gonna experiment with the non ethanol and see how it does. Replacing the gas cap didn't work.

Truck is about to turn 230k.

Last edited:
I have been watching this thread with some interest for a while.
I've had the same experience as @CatskillsRunner and replaced the gas cap late last fall.
Haven't had it since, but not a lot of driving this spring for obvious reasons.
Interested in your experience @CatskillsRunner as you test pure gas.
Are you and @Onur in CO now for a while?
Just wondering from an elevation standpoint (vs. NY).

I have been watching this thread with some interest for a while.
I've had the same experience as @CatskillsRunner and replaced the gas cap late last fall.
Haven't had it since, but not a lot of driving this spring for obvious reasons.
Interested in your experience @CatskillsRunner as you test pure gas.
Are you and @Onur in CO now for a while?
Just wondering from an elevation standpoint (vs. NY).

We live at 500 ft in NY.

We are in Grand Junction till late August.

But this started happening to the truck roughly in Kansas.

New gas cap installed last week. All vacuum lines have been replaced. FF is new.

CC hasn’t been replaced and is original. Could be the CC but truck would have thrown codes.

Funny thing is my Prius is fine out here. :lol:

Another +1 for the best toaster ever made. :lol:

I was under my truck doing some more mods. And since I have a fuel temperature sensor, I can tell what works and what doesn't. If you want to argue with me then just put me on ignore, please. If you want to prove me wrong, get your own fuel temperature sensor. Here's two good ones: Amazon.com: Innovate Motorsports 3904 MTX-D Dual Gauge Kit -Ethanol/Fuel Temp, 1 Pack: Automotive and Amazon.com: Zeitronix ECA-2 Ethanol E% Content Analyzer Kit with Blue Display Gauge: Automotive If you have constructive criticism, please post it.

Reminder, this thread is about boiling fuel. Your #1 point of reference should be the fuel's temperature. Everything else is secondary. No, I do not expect everyone to have fuel temperature because it's not available stock or without some elbow grease but I've got one.

The following are my mods to combat fuel temperature in order of their effectiveness. I have also done lots of work on my evap system which I've detailed in this thread: 100 Series Charcoal Canister Replacement Truck is well maintained and has many new parts over the last 1-2 years, too many to list but if you are thinking "but did you replace your _____" the answer is probably YES!

#1: Extensive heat shielding. Earlier in this thread there was talk about extra shielding on the catalytic converters, but I found recently over the past few weeks that there are far more important areas to add heat shielding. I've been doing this by driving a lot and then scooting under the truck on my creeper and feeling around with my hands and figuring out where things are hot and where they aren't and then doing it again.

There is an area here on the fuel tank where the stock metal guard doesn't cover and there is no heatshield between it and the exhaust pipe.

Bare fuel tank exposed within 12" of exhaust pipe (darker tank shield seen below exposed tank side with rough texture):
HQUOBO6.jpg

Here and on the tank shield itself I used adhesive backed heatshield material: Amazon.com: Second Skin Thermal Block - Automotive Heat Shield - Reflective Aluminum, Insulation & Adhesive (8 sq ft, 4 Sheets) - Made in USA: Automotive - https://amzn.to/3juiU2t This stuff blocks the radiant heat with the silver metal barrier but also insulates with a cloth layer underneath and sticks with adhesive which makes it easy to put anywhere. I use this small roller to help get a good bond: Amazon.com: LUMITECO Automotive Car Audio Sound Deadening Application Wheel Roller, Heat Abatement Mat Wallpaper Application PU Smoothing Tool Seam Roller: Automotive

I did the whole side of the fuel tank. I also extended the factory heatshield in a few more places:

iT5xzwc.jpg

G2vlILI.jpg

Lastly, I used some embossed heatshield material to shield the front crossover y-pipe from the front of the fuel tank: Amazon.com: Design Engineering 050503-16 Floor and Tunnel Shield: Automotive This stuff is really lightweight and easy to bend and and cut and work with but also extremely effective at blocking radiant heat.

A0TkgQu.jpg

#2: Moving return fuel line off the engine to the firewall. This just eliminated the steel return fuel line that is bolted directly to the engine cylinder heads on the rear of the engine reducing the amount of heat returned to the tank from the fuel rails. I also covered the fuel line as well as the rest of the lines with heatshield: Amazon.com: Design Engineering 010448 Cool-Tube Extreme Heat Reflective Sleeve, 0.75" x 9' - Black: Automotive - https://amzn.to/2ZZs0ds

vy5qrJq.jpg

#3: Catalytic converter and fuel line shielding: These were the first mods I did to try and combat fuel temperature, but I would only rate them #3 on my list. Every other mod was more effective at lowering the fuel temperature. I have no doubt this mod is effective in some way, but not as much as the others. If doing heatshielding under the vehicle, then this should be done no matter what anyway IMO. It's also the easiest of all the mods. I used this heatshield for the fuel lines: Amazon.com: DEI 010441 Cool-Tube Extreme Heat Reflective Sleeve, 0.5" x 9' - Silver: Automotive - https://amzn.to/2WYqZjS

ocMorbo.jpg

mhcxnSs.jpg

#4: Passive dual-pass finned fuel cooler. More of an experiment than anything I bought this inexpensive multipurpose cooler and plumbed it to the return line right before the fuel tank. I used quick connect fuel connectors so that if there is ever a problem with the cooler I can simply disconnect it and return the lines to stock without any tools. I placed it in the rear area above the frame rail. This area is always cool to the touch compared to the rest of the vehicle when I have been poking and probing for the last few weeks, it gets a surprising amount of air flow.

First I set it up to pressure test:
RmrckKt.jpg

It passed.

c6MauyE.jpg
I

Looking inside:

rCg87hD.jpg

Mounted above the frame rail by the evap canister away from danger.

wdMoOjf.jpg

I used this 12" fuel cooler: Amazon.com: HotRod99 12" Satin Aluminum Finned Dual Pass Heat Sink Cooler Transmission Cooler Black Includes Two 1/4 NPT Fittings: Home & Kitchen - https://amzn.to/2WYwxe4
Some 5/16 Gates fuel hose: https://amzn.to/302b4D9
and 1/4 NPT to 5/16 fittings: https://amzn.to/3044yMe

Before doing these mods my fuel temperature would routinely get to be 30-40F higher than ambient and sometimes even 50F or more if the tank was low and/or it had been hours on the trail etc. After doing these mods the fuel now stays between 10-20F above ambient even when low, though I have not done a long offroad trip with the newest mods.

This is about the hottest fuel temp I've recorded to date (127F), though I would bet it gets even hotter. This was before mods. This was at 1/4 tank of fuel driving home in 95F ambient temperature probably 3-4 hours running non-stop. I'm waiting for similar conditions to record a snapshot of the temperature now after all of the mods.

A0nUab7.png

Last edited:
Very cool thread.
We took a trip to the Black Hills a few weeks back and at a fuel stop I noticed the pump kept clicking off after very little volume of fuel transfer.
I think the tank was venting vapors out the fill neck for several minutes.
Eventually I was able to fill the tank, but it was interesting/annoying.

I was under my truck doing some more mods. And since I have a fuel temperature sensor, I can tell what works and what doesn't. If you want to argue with me then just put me on ignore, please. If you want to prove me wrong, get your own fuel temperature sensor. Here's two good ones: Amazon.com: Innovate Motorsports 3904 MTX-D Dual Gauge Kit -Ethanol/Fuel Temp, 1 Pack: Automotive and Amazon.com: Zeitronix ECA-2 Ethanol E% Content Analyzer Kit with Blue Display Gauge: Automotive If you have constructive criticism, please post it.

Reminder, this thread is about boiling fuel. Your #1 point of reference should be the fuel's temperature. Everything else is secondary. No, I do not expect everyone to have fuel temperature because it's not available stock or without some elbow grease but I've got one.

The following are my mods to combat fuel temperature in order of their effectiveness. I have also done lots of work on my evap system which I've detailed in this thread: 100 Series Charcoal Canister Replacement Truck is well maintained and has many new parts over the last 1-2 years, too many to list but if you are thinking "but did you replace your _____" the answer is probably YES!

#1: Extensive heat shielding. Earlier in this thread there was talk about extra shielding on the catalytic converters, but I found recently over the past few weeks that there are far more important areas to add heat shielding. I've been doing this by driving a lot and then scooting under the truck on my creeper and feeling around with my hands and figuring out where things are hot and where they aren't and then doing it again.

There is an area here on the fuel tank where the stock metal guard doesn't cover and there is no heatshield between it and the exhaust pipe.

Bare fuel tank exposed within 12" of exhaust pipe (darker tank shield seen below exposed tank side with rough texture):
HQUOBO6.jpg

Here and on the tank shield itself I used adhesive backed heatshield material: This stuff blocks the radiant heat with the silver metal barrier but also insulates with a cloth layer underneath and sticks with adhesive which makes it easy to put anywhere. I use this small roller to help get a good bond: Amazon.com: LUMITECO Automotive Car Audio Sound Deadening Application Wheel Roller, Heat Abatement Mat Wallpaper Application PU Smoothing Tool Seam Roller: Automotive

I did the whole side of the fuel tank. I also extended the factory heatshield in a few more places:

iT5xzwc.jpg

G2vlILI.jpg

Lastly, I used some embossed heatshield material to shield the front crossover y-pipe from the front of the fuel tank: Amazon.com: Design Engineering 050503-16 Floor and Tunnel Shield: Automotive This stuff is really lightweight and easy to bend and and cut and work with but also extremely effective at blocking radiant heat.

A0TkgQu.jpg

#2: Moving return fuel line off the engine to the firewall. This just eliminated the steel return fuel line that is bolted directly to the engine cylinder heads on the rear of the engine reducing the amount of heat returned to the tank from the fuel rails. I also covered the fuel line as well as the rest of the lines with heatshield: https://amzn.to/2ZZs0ds

vy5qrJq.jpg

#3: Catalytic converter and fuel line shielding: These were the first mods I did to try and combat fuel temperature, but I would only rate them #3 on my list. Every other mod was more effective at lowering the fuel temperature. I have no doubt this mod is effective in some way, but not as much as the others. If doing heatshielding under the vehicle, then this should be done no matter what anyway IMO. It's also the easiest of all the mods. I used this heatshield for the fuel lines: https://amzn.to/2WYqZjS

ocMorbo.jpg

mhcxnSs.jpg

#4: Passive dual-pass finned fuel cooler. More of an experiment than anything I bought this inexpensive multipurpose cooler and plumbed it to the return line right before the fuel tank. I used quick connect fuel connectors so that if there is ever a problem with the cooler I can simply disconnect it and return the lines to stock without any tools. I placed it in the rear area above the frame rail. This area is always cool to the touch compared to the rest of the vehicle when I have been poking and probing for the last few weeks, it gets a surprising amount of air flow.

RmrckKt.jpg

It passed.

c6MauyE.jpg
I

Looking inside:

rCg87hD.jpg

wdMoOjf.jpg

I used this 12" fuel cooler: https://amzn.to/2WYwxe4
Some 5/16 Gates fuel hose: Amazon.com: Gates 27348 Barricade MPI Fuel Line Hose: Automotive
and 1/4 NPT to 5/16 fittings: https://amzn.to/3044yMe

Before doing these mods my fuel temperature would routinely get to be 30-40F higher than ambient and sometimes even 50F or more if the tank was low and/or it had been hours on the trail etc. After doing these mods the fuel now stays between 10-20F above ambient even when low, though I have not done a long offroad trip with the newest mods.

This is about the hottest fuel temp I've recorded to date (127F), though I would bet it gets even hotter. This was before mods. This was at 1/4 tank of fuel driving home in 95F ambient temperature probably 3-4 hours running non-stop. I'm waiting for similar conditions to record a snapshot of the temperature now after all of the mods.

A0nUab7.png

THANKS FOR THIS GREAT INFO IWAS TOO LOOKING UNDER RIG THIS WEEKEND AND SAW THAT AREA OF GAS TANK NEXT TO EXHAUST. I LIKE THAT FUEL TEMP MOD. THANK FOR ADDING THE LINK I WAS JUST DOING THAT.

HQUOBO6.jpg

Here and on the tank shield itself I used adhesive backed heatshield material: This stuff blocks the radiant heat with the silver metal barrier but also insulates with a cloth layer underneath and sticks with adhesive which makes it easy to put anywhere. I use this small roller to help get a good bond: Amazon.com: LUMITECO Automotive Car Audio Sound Deadening Application Wheel Roller, Heat Abatement Mat Wallpaper Application PU Smoothing Tool Seam Roller: Automotive

iT5xzwc.jpg

G2vlILI.jpg

A0TkgQu.jpg

#2: Moving return fuel line off the engine to the firewall. This just eliminated the steel return fuel line that is bolted directly to the engine cylinder heads on the rear of the engine reducing the amount of heat returned to the tank from the fuel rails. I also covered the fuel line as well as the rest of the lines with heatshield: https://amzn.to/2ZZs0ds

vy5qrJq.jpg

#3: Catalytic converter and fuel line shielding: These were the first mods I did to try and combat fuel temperature, but I would only rate them #3 on my list. Every other mod was more effective at lowering the fuel temperature. I have no doubt this mod is effective in some way, but not as much as the others. If doing heatshielding under the vehicle, then this should be done no matter what anyway IMO. It's also the easiest of all the mods. I used this heatshield for the fuel lines: https://amzn.to/2WYqZjS

ocMorbo.jpg

mhcxnSs.jpg

RmrckKt.jpg

It passed.

c6MauyE.jpg
I

Looking inside:

rCg87hD.jpg

wdMoOjf.jpg

I used this 12" fuel cooler: Amazon.com: HotRod99 12" Satin Aluminum Finned Dual Pass Transmission Cooler Black: Automotive
Some 5/16 Gates fuel hose: Amazon.com: Gates 27348 Barricade MPI Fuel Line Hose: Automotive
and 1/4 NPT to 5/16 fittings: TUOREN 5/16" Barb to 1/4" Brass Hose Barb Fitting Male NPT Adapter 2Pcs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

A0nUab7.png

Thanks for putting together this data and information!

@J1000 Lots of data you have there, thinking of trying some of those. Non-ethanol fuel solves the issues for me, but you can't always get it. Being a DIYer I may go the route of some folks who have built ethanol % and temp readouts. For others who like building things here is a good link. As I don't want to make more room for yet another display will go with the Bluetooth output version.
DIY Arduino Ethanol Content Analyzer

@J1000 I think pressure is equally critical to temp. It's all about the phase diagram of gasoline. P and T go together in determining the phase. Also consider that ambient temps are often 120F in Phoenix and other climates. The system has to handle fuel temps well in excess of that. I think problematic fuel temps are way above 127F- perhaps 160F+. When I lived in Phoenix a couple years, I never experienced the fuel vent problem, even on a few really hot trails days at lower altitude (100F and maybe 8000 ft), but I did experience it on cooler days (hot by CO standards, maybe 90F and 12000 ft).

Something I noticed last week was that my LX has ZERO pressure in the tank, at any time I've ever noticed. Every time I fill up, there's zero pressure. Not a little, completely zero. Low elevation, high elevation, hot temp, doesn't matter. My 99 always has some pressure. The 99 has had the gas vent problem on multiple occasions, the LX has not (to date, granted it's still new to me this year). I suspect the 99 is not managing tank pressures properly and the LX is.

It makes me think there is a venting mechanism that commonly fails or partially fails. If the tank gets up to 160F, it should not build pressure to the point of the gas cap safety relief activating.

Is there an easy way to grab a pressure signal in the OEM electronics? My Techstream laptop seems to be unable to read my adapter so I can't load that up to check.

I think you can avoid most the problem by keeping the fuel near ambient, but the system is still broken if a problem exists at 130-140F fuel temp, IMO. It should be able to run all day in Phoenix and Abu Dhabi when the ambient temp is 120F+ and the fuel/fuel tank is inevitably hotter.

Aldo, do you have a rundown of temps at each mod stage? It'd be neat to see how that all compares.

It makes me think there is a venting mechanism that commonly fails or partially fails. If the tank gets up to 160F, it should not build pressure to the point of the gas cap safety relief activating.
I share a similar line of thinking. I live in PHX and have never experienced the fuel boiling or extreme pressurization. I’ve no doubt that heat plays an important role, but there is malfunction somewhere in the fuel venting/EVAP system that I suspect is the primary culprit of problems described in this thread.

For example, Although the CC (and EVAP system in general) is different in 80 series than 100s, it appears that a lot of the 80 guys have completely resolved/eliminated their fuel pressure/venting/boiling problems by modifying (or deleting) a venting valve.

@J1000 I think pressure is equally critical to temp. It's all about the phase diagram of gasoline. P and T go together in determining the phase. Also consider that ambient temps are often 120F in Phoenix and other climates. The system has to handle fuel temps well in excess of that. I think problematic fuel temps are way above 127F- perhaps 160F+. When I lived in Phoenix a couple years, I never experienced the fuel vent problem, even on a few really hot trails days at lower altitude (100F and maybe 8000 ft), but I did experience it on cooler days (hot by CO standards, maybe 90F and 12000 ft).

Something I noticed last week was that my LX has ZERO pressure in the tank, at any time I've ever noticed. Every time I fill up, there's zero pressure. Not a little, completely zero. Low elevation, high elevation, hot temp, doesn't matter. My 99 always has some pressure. The 99 has had the gas vent problem on multiple occasions, the LX has not (to date, granted it's still new to me this year). I suspect the 99 is not managing tank pressures properly and the LX is.

Is there an easy way to grab a pressure signal in the OEM electronics? My Techstream laptop seems to be unable to read my adapter so I can't load that up to check.

I think you can avoid most the problem by keeping the fuel near ambient, but the system is still broken if a problem exists at 130-140F fuel temp, IMO. It should be able to run all day in Phoenix and Abu Dhabi when the ambient temp is 120F+ and the fuel/fuel tank is inevitably hotter.

Aldo, do you have a rundown of temps at each mod stage? It'd be neat to see how that all compares.
I've been wondering about the vent line from the tank to the canister. I think there's a rollover valve on that line, isn't there? I'm wondering if that gets stuck closed or something? There's the vent line going from the canister to the wheel well (at least I think that's what it is), but I'm guessing that has an overpressure valve that needs to open before it all vent. I've noticed the same thing with my '99, that there is always some pressure on hot days. Even when I changed my fuel pump the other day, I reinstalled the lid on the fuel tank without the lines connected, and immediately started getting fuel flowing out the return line fitting. It was a hot day, but it doesn't seem like the take should be pressurizing. Makes me wonder where the vent line restriction is occurring.

I've been wondering about the vent line from the tank to the canister. I think there's a rollover valve on that line, isn't there? I'm wondering if that gets stuck closed or something? There's the vent line going from the canister to the wheel well (at least I think that's what it is), but I'm guessing that has an overpressure valve that needs to open before it all vent. I've noticed the same thing with my '99, that there is always some pressure on hot days. Even when I changed my fuel pump the other day, I reinstalled the lid on the fuel tank without the lines connected, and immediately started getting fuel flowing out the return line fitting. It was a hot day, but it doesn't seem like the take should be pressurizing. Makes me wonder where the vent line restriction is occurring.
There is a valve at the top of the fuel tank. This is where the canister connects to the tank. When I installed the 40 gallon LRA tank I replaced that valve and the vent line at the tank since they had more than 300k miles on use.
1595886821846.png

1595886846528.png

My fuel tank is still pressurized and my charcoal canister still makes groaning noises after a hot drive 👎

I do not believe this valve is worth replacing to solve this issue.

There is a valve at the top of the fuel tank. This is where the canister connects to the tank. When I installed the 40 gallon LRA tank I replaced that valve and the vent line at the tank since they had more than 300k miles on use.
View attachment 2385649
View attachment 2385650
My fuel tank is still pressurized and my charcoal canister still makes groaning noises after a hot drive 👎

On a 100 series, that I just cured of fuel boiling. I did not replace that rollover valve. Which is on 98-02 tanks IIRC. But I do have some concern, it may be or was gunked up. That when fuel tank filled and climb a hill. Fuel sloshing around may push up valve into shut off position. It was something I was going to look at. To see if it had gunk build up and sticking. But since the client has is happy, as fuel not boiling any longer. I'll not likely get a chance to pull it and see.

Last edited:
That's
View attachment 2385649
View attachment 2385650

That's good info. Thank you for sharing it.

Looking at the system diagram in the FSM, I'm focusing hard on the purge VSV. I'd love to know if any vehicle experiencing excess pressure has a functional purge VSV and line and whether or not it's activating when needed. If the valve works and is just not activating the problem could be one of the many input parameters to the ECM or there could be an input sensor with a potential failure at high altitude.

I imagine a manual trigger switch for the VSV could solve the issue by forcing it open, allowing vent into the intake manifold (as is factory plumbed).

Step one would be for someone experiencing this reliably to run the Techstream utility that activates the purge VSV. If you can run the utility while the venting is occurring out the gas cap you should hear the engine respond when the utility is run and pressure is vented suddenly. If you run the utility on and off with no change in engine sound, my guess would be the purge VSV is not working and that's the culprit.

@2001LC I wonder if you ran this utility on your troublesome car before the issue was fixed.

Looking at the system diagram in the FSM, I'm focusing hard on the purge VSV. I'd love to know if any vehicle experiencing excess pressure has a functional purge VSV and line and whether or not it's activating when needed. If the valve works and is just not activating the problem could be one of the many input parameters to the ECM or there could be an input sensor with a potential failure at high altitude.

I imagine a manual trigger switch for the VSV could solve the issue by forcing it open, allowing vent into the intake manifold (as is factory plumbed).

Step one would be for someone experiencing this reliably to run the Techstream utility that activates the purge VSV. If you can run the utility while the venting is occurring out the gas cap you should hear the engine respond when the utility is run and pressure is vented suddenly. If you run the utility on and off with no change in engine sound, my guess would be the purge VSV is not working and that's the culprit.

@2001LC I wonder if you ran this utility on your troublesome car before the issue was fixed.
I was wondering about the purge valve also, and the ECM logic for triggering it. There's the pressure sensor on the canister (on my '99), but I think that's only used during the self check. I need to look at the schematic again to see if there's also a pressure sensor on the tank. Those differential pressure gauges are comparing atmospheric pressure to the sensed pressure, do they will vary with elevation. I think it would read higher pressure at higher elevation though, so should be more inclined to open the purge valve I would think. I would guess that the purge valve would be open whenever the engine is running to clean out the canister, unless the system is running the self check, but I'm really not sure.

No, I did not. I did go in tech stream and turn off and on. I could hear one on CC. But can't say I learned anything.

My plan was to come back and work through testing EVAP system, from end to end. But after my approached of first getting basics inline. Which included vacuum lines that appeared loose or cracked, to point of vacuum leak. Which one vacuum line I R&R, was from intake VSV to CC (underhood in 99). One other thing I did, which I've now no way to measure benefit if any. Was too R&R fuel pressure regulator. I'd wish I done job one thing at a time, than test drive, to see effect.

What I am sure had greats benefit was servicing coolant system w/external radiator fin cleaning. The ECT went from rapidly jumping from about 187 to 205f , to a very steady avg 187f. (184 to 189F). I tried very hard in 6 hours of city and mtn driving w/OAT 75 to 95F, to boil fuel. It did not once work of basics completed.

One vacuum line R&R'd. Was from intake VSV to CC. It comes with that little box, 4 clamps and 2 lines. There is a 3rd line at end of it, the assembly did not include.
IMG_5735.JPEG

Fuel pressure regulator. IIRC this same PN4 for 98-07. I cut just a tad off fuel line to install.
IMG_6089.JPEG

The radiator was badly clogged as most are.
IMG_6193.JPEG

FWIW. Here's a little tick, to fill pitting from electrolysis, when new inlet cap not available. Worked very nicely
IMG_6084.JPEG

I let cure for 24hr.
IMG_6085.JPEG

I am working on a 2007, with fuel boil issue now. It's ECT are jumping up fast to 205F. I did a coolant system service with rad fin cln. The system was ready for it, but not what I'd call overdue. Vacuum lines throughout looked very good, so didn't replace any. I did not get as much change in ECT as I expected, now getting 187f up to 196F.

Looking at fan clutch it seems okay. But may toss in a new one to see if any benefit. It also had a reported "crank no start", once after a fuel boiling incident. So we're considering a new fuel pump also. 06-07 really have high incidents of bad fuel pumps. I suppose weak fuel flow/pressure, could have it running lean. But Long term fuel trims (LT FT) looked pretty good. Actually better than most all VVT that I've run logs on FT.

Radiator fin cleaning yield some yuck, but not a hole lot.
IMG_6951.JPEG

In this 07 as with any 100 or 200 series, getting ECT (engine coolant temp) down. Is first on list!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom