100 Series Charcoal Canister Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just went through this, and no, there are no suitable aftermarket ones. I cut my canister in half with a reciprocating saw, dumped out the charcoal, went to Petco and got some aquarium carbon, refilled it, sealed it up with a metric ton of RTV and huge HVAC zip-ties. Total cost maybe $40 instead of $400. I was getting a CEL frequently and it has now vanished. More details here: Charcoal Canister Replacement Option
So doing this. Do you have a long term report?

Well I gave it a shot today. Will report back how it works tomorrow after the epoxy cures. I ended up needing almost 80 OZ of activated granular carbon like this: https://amzn.to/2KTfjbJ

Many of the hoses are shot so I will be replacing them. I think vapor leaks are actually coming from the hoses and will add hose clamps to them where they weren't any before.

5sMFPTT.jpg

8NARepz.jpg

pDaHfwW.jpg

0MWti6T.jpg

RBDu7wi.jpg

i7iZ5IP.jpg

S4BkM4K.jpg

All done. So far so good. The little black box on the left just has an air filter element in it. The connections on it are extremely fragile FYI, I broke both of them off on accident but it's nothing some plastic weld epoxy can't fix. The blue hose replaces the factory hose I am almost certain was leaking vapors. The blue hose came from Sandia National Laboratory so it's probably now the coolest thing on my truck. All in all I think I saved myself about $580 but won't know for sure til I put some miles on it.

EphkmDw.jpg

I am not getting CEL or fumes yet, '01 LC with 284K miles...it's going to be an issue I will have to deal with at some point...

I thought the two variants were drastically different shapes and that it wouldn't work - but if it does, post some pics :)

Pyrenees, I wonder if:
-your fix is still working? collecting fumes etc? No CEL?
-did you find the two springs and filter thingys as shown in the pics below when you opened the engine bay mounted canister?

And, J1000:
- when you cut into your container did you destroy the springs and order new ones? how bout them filter thingys? Same question?

Well I gave it a shot today. Will report back how it works tomorrow after the epoxy cures. I ended up needing almost 80 OZ of activated granular carbon like this: https://amzn.to/2KTfjbJ

Many of the hoses are shot so I will be replacing them. I think vapor leaks are actually coming from the hoses and will add hose clamps to them where they weren't any before.

5sMFPTT.jpg

8NARepz.jpg

pDaHfwW.jpg

0MWti6T.jpg

RBDu7wi.jpg

i7iZ5IP.jpg

S4BkM4K.jpg

Anyone have part numbers for all the hoses?

Anyone have part numbers for all the hoses?
Diagram here: EVAP System
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.31.43 PM.png

Looks like 2 of these: 95337-06030 @$30ea
and one of these 95331010018 @ $17 ea

Kind pricey-might be cheaper option just using metric fuel hose- just need measurements.

Weird I show the hoses being 77249B, 77255F and 77261A per this drawing:

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 3.01.41 PM.png

It looks like its 3 different hoses:

95337-06030
77259-60460
95331-10018

Which would make sense base on how my actually charcoal canister looks like. No two hoses are the same:

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 3.23.47 PM.png

Anyone else confirm?

When I scrolled over the parts diagram ref numbers ithe outer and mid hose referenced the same part number. But they look different pn your evap can for sure.

Either way I’m def not paying $75 for 3pcs of hose that equal about 18” total material. Going to come up with another option.

When I scrolled over the parts diagram ref numbers ithe outer and mid hose referenced the same part number. But they look different pn your evap can for sure.

Either way I’m def not paying $75 for 3pcs of hose that equal about 18” total material. Going to come up with another option.
Any updates on the DIY hoses?

Outlet fittings are as follows:
  • OD of Small fitting: 6.45mm>> the closest SAE equivalent is 1/4" ID Fuel hose (6.3mm ID)
  • OD of 2 x Large fittings: 10mm>> the closest equivalent is 3/8" ID Fuel hose (9.5mm ID)
Hose ID's are slightly smaller than fitting OD, and fit snugly which I think is what we want. I bought some 1/4" ID for the smaller hose and 3/8 ID for the two larger hoses. I haven't installed yet but I have test fit the spare canister I have. About $10 worth of hose.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.18.31 AM.png

Thought I'd follow up on this since it's been about a year since I refilled my OEM canister. It's still holding up just fine. I did get the P0441 CEL one time since then but I cleared it and it never came back. That's acceptable enough to me, since I was getting it every couple of weeks before.

I had used some epoxy I got from work to reseal my charcoal canister and it failed. I redid it with some Permatex Black Plastic Weld and it's since been holding up great: Permatex Black Plastic Weld: https://amzn.to/30AfkJ7
They say it sets in 5 minutes but in my experience if you mix it really well it's more like 1-2 minutes so work fast or in small sections! I've used tons of this stuff in the last few weeks fixing all sorts of things.

My MPG definitely improved after rebuilding my canister and fixing these leaks. Since I did it I had a couple weeks smooth sailing but then my VSV failed then threw a couple CELs; P2401, P2402, and P2419.

nxvQiXQ.jpg

I tested the evap vac pump per the FSM and it was leaking. I cross referenced the number and found out it's the same as on many other Toyotas and Scions. I went to a local pull-a-part and pulled one for $10. It tested fine. It came from a Scion Tc a few years newer and about half the mileage as my LX. In fact, the entire charcoal canister is identical for the most part. If you wanted to buy a new evap vac pump they'd be over $200: Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products SMP LDP67 Intermotor Fuel Vapor Leak Detection Pump: Automotive

Toyota p/n: 90910-14002
Denso p/n: 082100-0020

8Jg1uei.jpg

So far so good!

Happy boy! My evap readiness check was completed!

CrGrDvP.jpg

I was messing with my truck pressurizing the gas tank and I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be a check valve built into the filler neck and mine has failed. The two vent lines go up and are covered in a plastic cylinder that circles the filler neck. When I try to pressurize my fuel tank I get leakage around the outside of this plastic part. Has anyone taken these apart?

It1yjdv.jpg

xUKvg53.jpg

cOE7iRs.jpg

I replaced my entire charcoal canister and valve etc from a 2007 Scion TC at the junkyard. The Scion can was about 1/2" shorter otherwise identical. My can started leaking where I epoxied it together. I still have the external vent blocked off, get a CEL every so often that I just clear for failed purge valve test. My truck doesn't smell like fuel anymore and my fuel tank stays sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom