1999 | Bruiser - Yearly Stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

87warrior

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
SILVER Star
Threads
Exactly one year ago I bought my first Toyota, a 1999 100 series. I set out looking for a 100 series in October of 2015 after returning home from exploring the Rockies in a 70Kmile 2006 Hemi powered Grand Cherokee. The Jeep was comfortable and had more power under the hood than necessary, but it always felt cheap and clunky, it was creaky and it failed to go into 4Low at the base of Cinnamon Pass in the San Juans (this infuriated me). Thanks to a lot of background reading here at Mud I knew I could find the right cruiser with a modest $15k budget. However when a one owner, 246K mile rig popped up on craigslist for a mere $6k with complete Toyota service records, I couldn’t say no.

IMAG0452.jpg

I have been quite pleased with my ‘budget’ Cruiser and my Toyota learning experience over the past year. I knew the Cruiser would need some TLC and maintenance, so I jumped right into unfamiliar territory.
- Scrubbed and cleaned the interior (the original owner passed away from lung cancer and the interior smelled like an ash tray)​
- Installed cabin filter​
- Removed running boards​
- Replaced steering rack​
- Replaced upper ball joints with 555 joints​
- Serviced wheel bearings (oil seal, flange gasket, Slee bushing tool, etc)​
- Greased drive shafts​
- Cranked the torsion bars to reduce the 2 ½” forward rake to ¾” rake​
- Replaced the tires with 265/75r16 AT3’s​
- Replaced coil pack #1 with a Denso​
- Replaced heater tees​

After driving it a few thousand miles I could tell my baseline work wasn’t complete.
- Installed new front swaybar bushings/links and new rear bushings​
- Replaced the shocks with OEM (The actual shock was okay, but the bushings were shot. Bushings cost nearly as much as the shock assembly!)​
- Replaced MAF sensor​
- Replaced overhead interior and center dash lights with LED​

Now that the Cruiser was driving well I started to make it mine.
- Removed the faded/peeling faux wood trim​
- Installed WeatherTech floor mats​
- Upgraded the radio to a JVC touchscreen and routed HDMI/USB extension cable to the ashtray​
- Installed a PL259 connector in the face of the ashtray and ran the coax behind the second row of seats for easy access for a mag mount CB antenna. A Midland 75-822 CB gets pulled out as needed.​
- Replaced the garage door housing in the overhead console with a HomeLink module and a Blue Sea USB power source​
- Installed a Warn winch on the TJM 957MTT1581C winch plate behind the stock bumper​
- Installed a set of Black Peak 80 series D-ring tow brackets up front​
- Installed a set of IPF lights (purchased from mudder) on a homebuilt mount up front with the FJ Cruiser Auxiliary light switch​
- Replaced the cracking factory Michelin spare tire with a 265/75/r16 AT3 tire​
- Performed the spare tire lift mod​
- Performed the rear mud flap trim mod​

Then more general maintenance was required as time went on.
- Replaced the fan bracket, tensioner pulley and serpentine belt​
- Replaced coil pack #3 with a Denso (now I carry one in the glovebox)​
- Replaced the generic 24F battery with a lead acid 27F from Batteries Plus (840CCA and 168RC)​

How the time flies where you are having fun. I’ve driven this Cruiser to the Salida, CO area four times, once to the Ouray, CO area, once to Branson, MO, and explored my backyard (Flint Hills area, KS)

IMAG1468.jpg

14706898_10103289817376571_2211958648028315551_o.jpg

IMAG1419_1.jpg

Putting 24K miles on a single vehicle in one year is a new personal record for me. All of that seat time gave me time to think about what I am missing. I already have a list of things to accomplish this coming year.
- 2m/70cm install with Gamiviti antenna mount​
- Bypass factory amplifier to open up the space for a Kenwood V71A (see above)​
- Perform timing belt and water pump replacement (last done at 190K miles by original owner)​
- Install a rear hitch (Reese, purchased from mudder)​
- Refinish the leather on a spare steering wheel (purchased from mudder)​
- Install seat covers, get new leathers or refinish existing covers (still researching these prospects)​

Last edited:
Good stuff! I have the same color. While not my first choice, its really grown on me. doesn't show dirt and It blends in when hunting. I approve!

Nice write-up. This would be a good reference for folks looking at rigs with higher miles. Your list of maintenance, mods and issues is a reasonable inventory of what to expect in the first year. Clean her up, fix some stuff and make her yours. If your not doing all three (the first year and beyond) then you're doing something wrong.

Nice man, real nice!

Awesome work and learning it all feels great as well doesn't it!

I like the winch behind the factor bumper. Pretty slick if I do say so.

Can I get a pic of your interior "sans" the fake wood trim.

24k miles in one year!?! I'm impressed! One of the first things I did to my Cruiser (which I purchased 49 weeks ago) was to remove the faux wood trim. Makes the truck look so much better! Love the write up!

I can't wait to remove the faux wood.

I'd love to see a pic of your Homelink/USB set up.
I do have a picture of that. Turned out pretty good in my opinion. The Ram ball mount is for mounting my phone when using Back Country Navigator.
IMAG1157.jpg

Last edited:
Nice post. Very inspiring. I'm still looking and have been avoiding higher mileage LC's / LX's.

Actually... DAMN YOU!! Now i'm really confused again about what I want!!

Cheers.

I recently picked up a 99 same color although it's been painted at least once. I have found out from some research that it has spent most of its life in Puerto Rico. The main project right now is rebuilding the motor or replacing it, we are still diagnosing it as the PO cooked the motor from overheating. After a trip to jiffy lube for a fluid change the top radiator hose blew and dumped all the coolant. She kept going needless to say the results are not good. Leak down testing this weekend. The truck has only 136k on it and spotless underneath so it's worth doing in my opinion. I expect to have a to do list whic I will tackle over time. Good luck with yours. These are beyond compare.

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

I am still here, ringing in year 2 with the Cruiser. She recently turned over 288K miles and is ready to tackle year 3.

The cruiser has been pretty trouble free the past year, but it has needed some continued maintenance.

- New Toyota fuel filter
- New Toyota Mass Air Flow sensor
- New Denso SK20R11 Iridium Plugs
- New Toyota front brake pads and guide pins
- New Toyota rear brake pads
- New Napa rear brake rotors
- 2 new Denso coils on Bank 1 (chasing misfire codes)
- New Whiteline ‘big’ horseshoe steering rack bushing (I reused the factory bushing when I originally replaced the steering rack)
- Remanufactured Denso alternator
- 4 new Denso coils on Bank 2

Modifications came slow and steady through 2017, the Cruiser is simply been great!
- Bypassed factory amplifier
- Installed Kenwood TM-71A ham radio
- Refinished and installed a Reece 2” receiver
- Installed Curt 55356 trailer wire harness/converter
- Installed a 32g ATOTO Android Radio to replace the JVC radio

IMG_20180108_223324.jpg

IMG_20180108_222736.jpg

The modifications came slow because the Cruiser and I were busy exploring. From leading 30 rigs through the Flint Hills Back roads of Kansas, to following a herd of 100’s at HIH7 in Silverton and leading an Arkansas River run in Western Kansas. Needless to say, the Cruiser and I made a whole host of new friends this year.
IMG_20180108_223804.jpg

IMG_20180108_224526.jpg

IMG_20180108_230832.jpg

A few items need to be addressed during my 3rd year with the Cruiser
- The front wheel beatings are due for packing
- Timing Belt and water pump (last done at 190K)
- Front differential bushing ‘stopper’ needs replaced
- The AT3’s are getting well-worn and will need replaced, probably with a taller/narrower tire
- Rear control arm bushings are sloppy so I need to replace those
- Front seat leather is now cracking on both sides and needs to be addressed in some fashion
- I still do not have sliders :cautious:

Last edited:
I am still here, ringing in year 2 with the Cruiser. She recently turned over 288K miles and is ready to tackle year 3.

The cruiser has been pretty trouble free the past year, but it has needed some continued maintenance.

- New Toyota fuel filter
- New Toyota Mass Air Flow sensor
- New Denso SK20R11 Iridium Plugs
- New Toyota front brake pads and guide pins
- New Toyota rear brake pads
- New Napa rear brake rotors
- 2 new Denso coils on Bank 1 (chasing misfire codes)
- New Whiteline ‘big’ horseshoe steering rack bushing (I reused the factory bushing when I originally replaced the steering rack)
- Remanufactured Denso alternator
- 4 new Denso coils on Bank 2

Modifications came slow and steady through 2017, the Cruiser is simply been great!
- Bypassed factory amplifier
- Installed Kenwood TM-71A ham radio
- Refinished and installed a Reece 2” receiver
- Installed Curt 55356 trailer wire harness/converter
- Installed a 32g ATOTO Android Radio to replace the JVC radio

View attachment 1612317
View attachment 1612326

The modifications came slow because the Cruiser and I were busy exploring. From leading 30 rigs through the Flint Hills Back roads of Kansas, to following a herd of 100’s at HIH7 in Silverton and leading an Arkansas River run in Western Kansas. Needless to say, the Cruiser and I made a whole host of new friends this year.
View attachment 1612316
View attachment 1612313
View attachment 1612311

A few items need to be addressed during my 3rd year with the Cruiser
- The front wheel beatings are due for packing
- Timing Belt and water pump (last done at 190K)
- Front differential bushing ‘stopper’ needs replaced
- The AT3’s are getting well-worn and will need replaced, probably with a taller/narrower tire
- Rear control arm bushings are sloppy so I need to replace those
- Front seat leather is now cracking on both sides and needs to be addressed in some fashion
- I still do not have sliders :cautious:
I'd like to know how you liked the 265/75/16 tires. I'm thinking based on how I drive mine that this will be the size I go with. Your thoughts?

I’m looking at 265/75/16’s now. I see you would like to go taller and skinnier next time. What kind of driving are you doing that you feel the need for a change? I’m still on 275/70/16 Michelin ltx and want to go with an all terrain tire. I also have 280k and don’t want to add the stress of 285/75/16’s

I'd like to know how you liked the 265/75/16 tires. I'm thinking based on how I drive mine that this will be the size I go with. Your thoughts?
I have no complaints with the 265/75r16 tires. They are essentially stock size. Sure they measure a little taller and narrower, but the difference is negligible.

I’m looking at 265/75/16’s now. I see you would like to go taller and skinnier next time. What kind of driving are you doing that you feel the need for a change? I’m still on 275/70/16 Michelin ltx and want to go with an all terrain tire. I also have 280k and don’t want to add the stress of 285/75/16’s
I just want a little more clearance under my rear axle with a taller tire. As I push the Cruiser more off-road, I am finding a little more clearance would be beneficial as well as a tire with more meat than the AT3 provides. I don't really want to go wider (I've been down that rabbit hole in the past). Considering the ST Maxx in 255/85r16 as the new replacement.

Great write up thanks for sharing , I’m loving my 01 of the same color I’d sure get some sliders on it ASAP it’s one of the first thing I did and am glad of it. I’ve taken a couple shots that would have dented the rockers for sure. I also apparently had a car hit me in the passenger side while parked. It left a heavy stripe of white plastic on the slider. I’m sure that would have gotten the door with out the slider

I missed your year one writeup, but was laughing when I read your first post in this thread....

' The Jeep was comfortable and had more power under the hood than necessary, but it always felt cheap and clunky, it was creaky and it failed to go into 4Low at the base of Cinnamon Pass in the San Juans (this infuriated me).'

Was that due to the infamous N23 recall by chance? I got rid of my diesel WK because of it........

Either way, nice writeup.

Let's talk about the winch coming through the stock bumper.... Any write ups on that?
I think this thread will answer any questions you may have: OEM Bumper Winch Mount

I missed your year one writeup, but was laughing when I read your first post in this thread....

' The Jeep was comfortable and had more power under the hood than necessary, but it always felt cheap and clunky, it was creaky and it failed to go into 4Low at the base of Cinnamon Pass in the San Juans (this infuriated me).'

Was that due to the infamous N23 recall by chance? I got rid of my diesel WK because of it........

Either way, nice writeup.
You've got it. The N23 recall killed the WK for me. If I had procrastinated on the recall like I usually do, I would probably still be driving the Jeep. I do miss the Hemi power under the hood....but not the 16 spark plugs. The Cruiser is a better vehicle overall and I am happy to have made the change :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom