Builds Fly By Night (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some pics from this evening’s mad thrash. Not as much as what I’d have liked, but it’s a step or two along a long, winding road.

Finished welding one floor patch. Got the center section of whatever you call that piece (transition) tacked it. Drilled a few holes through it along the bottom seam to run some bolts through it to act as clamps. Looks like it’s gonna sit down pretty flush. I must have guessed at that bend angle, sometime last year when I made that piece - not gnat’s ass tight, but pretty close.

9C65FFF8-7012-4FD4-A355-6C4B43FCCB19.jpeg

26583298-CC1F-4D4F-9393-F2ECD59A413B.jpeg

EC2AB0D0-C722-4572-95ED-7048EDA57856.jpeg

3041D0EA-0789-4BDA-B25D-2A39402D31CC.jpeg

B5759705-5374-4A5F-964C-50F274DBD12C.jpeg

Thanks Gordon. Not sure if I consider it amazing, but I appreciate the encouragement 👍😁
What’s been amazing is the cooperation the weather has been giving me all month. Normally rains every day in August, but it’s been nothing but hot and dry for the most part. Helps give me time to git er dun.
Supposed to rain tomorrow though, so she’s back under the tarps.

In a short break from the tub work, wanted to show some pics of what I’m planning to use to plate the inside front of the frame with. The front sections of frame were cannibalized from that 71 overseas frame I picked up back around March. The idea was/is to rip the outer plating of this frame tubing, and affix it to the inner plating of my frame.
Planning on plating from the rear of the front cross member, to just past the rear spring hanger of the front leaf spring.
This still won’t happen for a few months, just kind of staging puzzle pieces.

View attachment 2066879

View attachment 2066881

View attachment 2066882

Man, you are making things happen!

Made a little progress over the weekend, not as much as I’d like but something anyways.

Cut out rusted sections of that rear passenger seat floor riser. Have the patch pieces for those. Decided to cut the rusted out strip of floor with the bend, but didn’t have an adequate piece in my scrap collection.

A3E93759-15CD-491E-ABDA-A25E70C6E2A5.jpeg

E205C98C-AD6C-4767-AC49-AFCE79F6480E.jpeg

1E1A4861-26E4-4723-97FA-9395BA3C4E7B.jpeg

Every time one of you guys peels back another layer, I'm amazed at the rust these wagons have going on. I know it's a ton of work, but you must feel good about getting rid of another bad spot. Steady progress!

For sure! The funny thing is that the rust in this area originated from the inside of the cab, under the rear floor mat. The mats rarely get removed because of the sill plates, and any moisture that gets under there is trapped. That factory tar coating on the floor goes a long way in protecting the floor from moisture. Everywhere that stuff is absent gets the rust.

Thought about doing a full weld across there, but I'm just going to spot-weld to the floor pan with seam sealer between. Already filled the areas not being welded on that center section with seam sealer. Once it's finished, I'll put down another layer of seam sealer after the epoxy primer is down, inside and out.

Thanks guys! Gonna pick up a couple more tubes of seam sealer and see if I can’t possibly finalize this little project this weekend.

I’ll tell you, I think I’ve saved the best for last. The caps I’d like to make for the rear quarters are not going to be as easy as all the rest has been so far, at least in execution. I have this specific idea in mind for what I want it to look like, but getting the metal to go along with that idea is going to be a challenge. My biggest requirement is that I want the outer edge to be rolled, like how the rocker caps are, and I want the inner edge to hang lower so that there’s an angle going on there as opposed to it being flat across. Mulling over several ways to go about it, and I seem to want to settle on the one that involves the most work 🙄
Remembering why I always turned and ran the other direction when facing a possible way to do a real finish job on this area - all the opposing angles and curvatures make it a PITA! There may be a few rough drafts that you guys won’t be privy to seeing - trying to do myself and my 55 family right by turning out something decently satisfactory. It may take a bit, probably gonna overrun my self imposed goal of “by end of summer” by just a tad. S’ok😜
Also kinda chomping at the bit to start the frame and chassis work. Got a few things on simmer, you know, that back-burner, that I’m waiting to crank up and get cooking on. Welding on thicker steel is gonna be so dang awesome 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom