FJ55 year by year differences listed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This thread is exactly why pigs are all f***ed to work on. Nothing is standard.

I see what you mean. I hope this will at least help figure out which is which.

My 73 has a 4speed with f155

Build date? Could it be a late 73 production (July/Aug 1973)?

One more thing.

Did the fender scripts change year to year? The brochures don't have detailed photos of the fender scripts, so I can't tell.

One more thing.

Did the fender scripts change year to year? The brochures don't have detailed photos of the fender scripts, so I can't tell.
Yes. Separate script until 09-73. Script that is one piece and still available from 09-73 to 1980. ToyoDIY is good for that kind of information:

Just now getting caught up on this thread. My September 72 (73) pig has solid apron vents, bug catcher windows, rear marker with grill/vent, tag lights on either sides, and big backuplights

Things I’ve learned from several different pigs I’ve owned.

77 radiator was different than 73
68 plastic rear window gear is different than 71
77 front seat is different and will not fit in a 73
68,69 had a cool different steering wheel, then went to red center, then to blue center on later pigs.
68/E69 had grill mounted markers and apron mounted blinkers
77 heater box had a vent at top like a late model 40.
Door panels changed a few different times over the years, early pigs had chrome metal window cranks, later pig has black plastic.
Early pigs have black with chrome end caps on the interior grab handles, later pigs have gray.
My 68 and 69 pig had lap belts front and rear, no shoulder belts up front.
68-E72 that Ives owned has had slotted apron vents my sept. 72 had solid.
My 77 had non stamped tailgate with orange 4wheeldrive emblem at bottom lower corner like early tailgates.
Late model pigs has different speedometer (has more mph) also believe has an extra number for mileage?
Late 77 and on had chrome drip rail trim also chrome around windows (like fj60)
Last year for the pig had TOYOTA cut out in grill (super pimp)

All I can think of at the moment. I feel sorry for someone wanting to do a full restoration on a 77 😂 probably worse than owning a late 74/early 75 Fj40.

Yes. Separate script until 09-73. Script that is one piece and still available from 09-73 to 1980. ToyoDIY is good for that kind of information:

Ok, will add this to changes.

Just now getting caught up on this thread. My September 72 (73) pig has solid apron vents, bug catcher windows, rear marker with grill/vent, tag lights on either sides, and big backuplights

Things I’ve learned from several different pigs I’ve owned.

77 radiator was different than 73
68 plastic rear window gear is different than 71
77 front seat is different and will not fit in a 73
68,69 had a cool different steering wheel, then went to red center, then to blue center on later pigs.
68/E69 had grill mounted markers and apron mounted blinkers
77 heater box had a vent at top like a late model 40.
Door panels changed a few different times over the years, early pigs had chrome metal window cranks, later pig has black plastic.
Early pigs have black with chrome end caps on the interior grab handles, later pigs have gray.
My 68 and 69 pig had lap belts front and rear, no shoulder belts up front.
68-E72 that Ives owned has had slotted apron vents my sept. 72 had solid.
My 77 had non stamped tailgate with orange 4wheeldrive emblem at bottom lower corner like early tailgates.
Late model pigs has different speedometer (has more mph) also believe has an extra number for mileage?
Late 77 and on had chrome drip rail trim also chrome around windows (like fj60)
Last year for the pig had TOYOTA cut out in grill (super pimp)

All I can think of at the moment. I feel sorry for someone wanting to do a full restoration on a 77 😂 probably worse than owning a late 74/early 75 Fj40.

Thanks for all of this. Will get this in.

Found out during my body swap that there was a change in blower-to-heater ducting in the cab from '73 to '74.

Some will also say there were no single color Pigs. Not true...the '76 I flipped way back when was Freeborn Red everywhere you could see color, inside and out.
And there were two versions of Cygnus White...codes 012 and 031. Believe it's 031 that's the purer white.

79 has power steering standard also
No. PS was optional. My '79 had manual steering from the factory.

There are changes to various frame pieces in 78 and/or 79. Had a talk with Marv years ago about them but things that far back are fuzzy. Front crossmember comes to mind and something about the rear bumper/overhang.

When did headrests start?

'78/'79/'80 tail lights are "International" spec with turn, brake, and signal combined. That's all I know or can remember so I'll keep quiet.

Does this correspond with the dashboard change?
It corresponds to the switch for on a two speed fan to a three speed one if that’s what you mean.

My 79 has one key works fuel, ign , doors and gate window. Fuel tank sat on towers that are laying somewhere in my shop and a very good fuel tank sitting outside on the deck of my car trailer. I have an aluminum one to go between the frame rails under the pickup body.

Toyota jailbar from side.JPG

Another change from 78 to 79 is the front wiring harness (maybe more). 78 uses a 3-wire voltage regulator while the 79 uses a 6 wire VR. Chester is a cross over Pig with a 79 VR

Another change from 78 to 79 is the front wiring harness (maybe more). 78 uses a 3-wire voltage regulator while the 79 uses a 6 wire VR. Chester is a cross over Pig with a 79 VR
That's intriguing. The change date appears to be 7/78. The 3-wire to 6-wire VR change occurred 5/78 in US spec 40 series vehicles.

I was under the impression that the step-up from 30amp to 50amp ammeters didn't happen until 1/79 in the 40s so... did 55 models get a 50amp ammeter starting with the '78 models or did they remain 30amp versions? The only ammeter change I'm seeing for FJ55 models is from 9/77-->.

Also, did 55s get the dual fusible links that 40s got with the 79 models? You do occasionally see them on earlier 40s.

The cat comes in on 55s at 1/79 as federally mandated but that isn't a wiring related issue per se.

That's intriguing. The change date appears to be 7/78. The 3-wire to 6-wire VR change occurred 5/78 in US spec 40 series vehicles.

I was under the impression that the step-up from 30amp to 50amp ammeters didn't happen until 1/79 in the 40s so... did 55 models get a 50amp ammeter starting with the '78 models or did they remain 30amp versions? The only ammeter change I'm seeing for FJ55 models is from 9/77-->.

Also, did 55s get the dual fusible links that 40s got with the 79 models? You do occasionally see them on earlier 40s.

The cat comes in on 55s at 1/79 as federally mandated but that isn't a wiring related issue per se.
Chester's build date is May 78. Arnold's build date is Dec 77. Maybe they got and early start with the front harness. I can't tell if there's any difference in the amp gages between my two pigs - but then again, I haven't pulled the dashes to compare. Both are (Arnold) and were (Chester) Cali emissions. Chester was partially desmogged (now complete thanks to Jim C) when I bought him. Arnold has all his emissions crap intact.

I didn’t see any reference in this thread to a California model. Mine has a fan that blows in the intake for the air cleaner. This 55 does not have a carb fan like my 40 or my 60. My FJ55 is a ‘76 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom