FJ55 year by year differences listed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know what the horn button on the steering wheel looks like on a 1969? I bought mine with no wheel, I just bought a wheel with no horn button.
I see some have a big button, and then there’s the small one here on an early 40.

PNG image 14.png

E4898B66-47EE-4242-95A5-D30975AFDF22.jpeg

The large one is correct for a 69 model, but it's not a horn button, just pad.
Do you know if the early fj40 horn button will fit my 55 wheel? Where’s the horn button?

Do you know if the early fj40 horn button will fit my 55 wheel? Where’s the horn button?
3 buttons, one in each spoke. I think all 55 years have a horn button in each spoke.

Dont forget about the birfield and knuckle change, disc brakes. Hood change, air cleaner change.
First post says 3.70 differential ratio in 1978, and 1979 is the same overall--does that mean the large knuckle started (along with 3.70, like the 40 series) in 1978 for the 55 series? Or was this only for the 40 series and other, newer series? I just made a deal on a 1978, sight unseen, and am just curious.

First post says 3.70 differential ratio in 1978, and 1979 is the same overall--does that mean the large knuckle started (along with 3.70, like the 40 series) in 1978 for the 55 series? Or was this only for the 40 series and other, newer series? I just made a deal on a 1978, sight unseen, and am just curious.
Short answer - I am not sure. I know for 40's, the common assumption was that they switched to 3.70s for the '79 model year, when they went "square" and added catalytic converters.

Longer, maybe slightly useful answer - my '78 40 was built in Sep of '77. So it is an early '78. Not only is it 4.11 thirds, it is the coarse spline pinions. Pinions switched to fine-spline sometime in '78, but it was after my '78 was built.

I assume I am on the small pattern knuckles, I have never measured.

Short answer - I am not sure. I know for 40's, the common assumption was that they switched to 3.70s for the '79 model year, when they went "square" and added catalytic converters.

Longer, maybe slightly useful answer - my '78 40 was built in Sep of '77. So it is an early '78. Not only is it 4.11 thirds, it is the coarse spline pinions. Pinions switched to fine-spline sometime in '78, but it was after my '78 was built.

I assume I am on the small pattern knuckles, I have never measured.
Thanks. My guess would be small pattern as well. I've got a 5/79 FJ40 and it has the large pattern knuckles, so when my 55 arrives I will compare them and post my findings.

Thanks. My guess would be small pattern as well. I've got a 5/79 FJ40 and it has the large pattern knuckles, so when my 55 arrives I will compare them and post my findings.
Looking forward to it!
I always encourage new Pig owners to post a build thread on their Pigs. We love to hear the story behind what got you into Pigs, and how you got yours!

Curious, but does anyone know the MM/YYYY for when the warm pull was added to pigs? Mine is an 08/1971 and it does not have this or a PO removed it and plugged the hole

Curious, but does anyone know the MM/YYYY for when the warm pull was added to pigs? Mine is an 08/1971 and it does not have this or a PO removed it and plugged the hole
So from what I’ve seen… warm pull was added when they removed the hand valve off the back of the head. Somewhere around 9/73?

great reference.... just got 4 69-71 piggies, and both early ones have the round reflectors on them....

question on the rear glass switch, reading this thread there should not be any dash switch for the glass, so if we don't have a key for the rear lock mechanism, does toyota sell a kit to change all the switches, or does the passenger door have a code like later model toyota's to have a key made?

@cjmoon

reading this thread there should not be any dash switch for the glass
There should be a dash switch for the tailgate glass and the key switch on the gate. Probably the easiest way to square away your keys is get ahold of @ToyotaMatt He sells key blanks, etc. for the 55s.

great reference.... just got 4 69-71 piggies, and both early ones have the round reflectors on them....

question on the rear glass switch, reading this thread there should not be any dash switch for the glass, so if we don't have a key for the rear lock mechanism, does toyota sell a kit to change all the switches, or does the passenger door have a code like later model toyota's to have a key made?

@cjmoon
There should be a dash switch for the tailgate glass and the key switch on the gate. Probably the easiest way to square away your keys is get ahold of @ToyotaMatt He sells key blanks, etc. for the 55s.

i do offer 3 types of FJ55 keys blanks YES ,

- NOS OEM 90999-00027
- MY reproduction 90999-00027

- and

- a ITIALY made brand called SILCA

- but ........

more then that , i am the GLOBAL FJ55 Community Master of KEYS ........ :cool:

- just ask this extremely satisfied Client

next up ,

i have produced 2 different FJ55 Locks and Keys topics TECH. Videos

Please Review each one when you can pop a cold beer and take in the TECH.

i would like to thank once again @gonzopancho for his awesome teamwork and for loaning me 2 complete different sets of random fj55 locks , many without ANY keys or

key code for me to take the needed time to experiment , learn and FAIL a few times in efforts to absolute PERFECT now being able to crank out ANT T- SERIES FJ55 Key

cut the code or a later K series column one .........

next up ,

i have produced 2 different FJ55 Locks and Keys topics TECH. Videos

Please Review each one when you can pop a cold beer and take in the TECH.

i would like to thank once again @gonzopancho for his awesome teamwork and for loaning me 2 complete different sets of random fj55 locks , many without ANY keys or

key code for me to take the needed time to experiment , learn and FAIL a few times in efforts to absolute PERFECT now being able to crank out ANT T- SERIES FJ55 Key

cut the code or a later K series column one .........

Batter up.... will send you a PM

Batter up.... will send you a PM

did i mention i really really have a total obsession with ANY Vintage TOYOTA Key in general 🤔

so much so i GOLD PLATE them and folks like my Solid MUD Buddy @orangefj45 can't seam to let them out of his sight , kind of like FROTO's RING of POWER :D

examples of a factory T-SERIES Key code stamped on a FJ55 1967-8/80 passenger side door lock cylinder

- 99% of the time its on the passenger side as it should be

- the other 1% of the time its actually on the drivers side lock cylinder for some odd azz reason ? 🤔

here is what your looking for in a perfect TEq world ......... :cool:

FJ55_door_cylinder.jpg
fj55_door_cylinder_code.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom