FJ55 year by year differences listed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. My sept. of 77 has the rounded front doors and no TOYOTA stamped tailgate.

2 keys.....different for passenger door and fuel door

Where can I get a non-locking fuel door?
^pigeaten looks like he has one.

For those with multiple keys:

Do the door/ignition key look the same as the gas door key? Has anybody tried to get the doors, ignition and gas door keyed to 1 key?

For my 74 Celica, I took a locking gas cap to the locksmith and had it rekeyed, so I have 1 key for doors, ignition and gas cap. No fumbling around with multiple keys.

I would need owners to chime in and tell me changes to the fuel tanks so i can update the list.

I have a 73 and a 77 fuel tank. The 73 rested directly on the frame and the 77 mounted to towers above the frame.

not sure when the design changed.

For those with multiple keys:

Do the door/ignition key look the same as the gas door key? Has anybody tried to get the doors, ignition and gas door keyed to 1 key?

For my 74 Celica, I took a locking gas cap to the locksmith and had it rekeyed, so I have 1 key for doors, ignition and gas cap. No fumbling around with multiple keys.
The door and gas door keys are the same. The ignition is different.

Would the changes in fuel tanks and mounting points be worthy of mentioning?

I would need owners to chime in and tell me changes to the fuel tanks so i can update the list.

There is this:

1618145994127.png

From this thread: anybody ever put an fj40 fuel tank in an fj55? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anybody-ever-put-an-fj40-fuel-tank-in-an-fj55.1247738/page-2#post-13767946

I have a 73 and a 77 fuel tank. The 73 rested directly on the frame and the 77 mounted to towers above the frame.

not sure when the design changed.

I wish we had a "?" emoji...

My '74 tank bolts to the body.

Your '73 tank bolts to the frame? Do you have pics in your thread? You have since swapped out for a long range tank, eh?

I wish we had a "?" emoji...

My '74 tank bolts to the body.

Your '73 tank bolts to the frame? Do you have pics in your thread? You have since swapped out for a long range tank, eh?
This is the 73 tank. I pulled it 3 or so years ago. I thought it rested on the top of the frame but it could have been the body.

I just know it’s a lot different than the 77 I put the LRA into

0FD27F9B-C8D2-4FBB-9F5E-70B5B0A6983F.jpeg

This is the 73 tank. I pulled it 3 or so years ago. I thought it rested on the top of the frame but it could have been the body.

I just know it’s a lot different than the 77 I put the LRA into

View attachment 2641858
What are you doing with that tank now?

The construction of that tank “appears” to be the same as the later tanks, as far as the mounting through the seam. The location of the holes might be different, but the later tanks mount via the seam just like that one.

The reason I figured out they were different mounts was after I did my LRA tank Georg had a customer buy a tank. They list as 68-80 as the same but they had to source the mounts from the frame like I have to make the tank work on a older 55

The reason I figured out they were different mounts was after I did my LRA tank Georg had a customer buy a tank. They list as 68-80 as the same but they had to source the mounts from the frame like I have to make the tank work on a older 55
Did you put frame mounts on?

Did you put frame mounts on?
My 77 had them. The LRA needs them.
The early truck needed them to make the LRA work so they made some in the end

We’re the bolt holes in the top of the frame already or did you have to drill?

I guess I’m confusing people here.

My 1977 has the risers above the frame. The LRA went right on them.

The 1973 tank I removed from the donor Pig did not have the risers.

Right after I installed my LRA Georg called and had me troubleshoot with a customer how to make his LRA fit his early pig.

Turns out the LRA is designed off the later 55 like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom