anybody ever put an fj40 fuel tank in an fj55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have any later tanks, I sold the 78 I had years ago.

for some reason I was thinking the volume changed in the later years, 2-3 extra gallons??
Do you have any tanks from pre- frame mount that we/you could compare side-by-side?

I am thinking the lip and dimensions look quite similar to my '74 tank.

If so, a repro tank that fits those dims could cover a pretty good range of Pigs. Maybe not all, but some...

1617542210486.png

Looks like there were 4 different tanks used from '68 to Jul '80.

I am guess the frame mount tanks happened in Aug of '76.

@RUSH55 - what is the build date on your Pig?

If the '71 to '76 tanks are close enough to the '76 to '80 tanks, a repro could cover a pretty range of years. Then the question would be can the '68/'69 and '69 to Sep '71 variants adapt?

Something to think about...

Now we’re gonna have to get pics and measurements of all those tank variations and see what the differences are. Shouldn’t be too difficult to recreate an aluminum tank of stock dimensions and capacity that would allow you to retain the spare tire crossmember and install an FI pump.
My rig’s build date is August of 77.

Destroyed how?

RUST

The OEM tanks are pretty thin. If there’s rust flaking off inside, it’s gonna be more prone to pinholes, which could possibly be patched over, unless most of the surrounding metal is wasted then there’s nothing substantial to weld to. Maybe solder, but I don’t know how well that would work out.

View attachment 2635058

Looks like there were 4 different tanks used from '68 to Jul '80.

I am guess the frame mount tanks happened in Aug of '76.

@RUSH55 - what is the build date on your Pig?

If the '71 to '76 tanks are close enough to the '76 to '80 tanks, a repro could cover a pretty range of years. Then the question would be can the '68/'69 and '69 to Sep '71 variants adapt?

Something to think about...

IIRCC the early tanks are the same, just have less vent tubes, or none to a vapor recovery system

the only 2 tanks I have are the 2 in the pic which were frame mounted.

was I confused, body mounted was the earlier tank and frame mounted is the later tank?

IIRCC the early tanks are the same, just have less vent tubes, or none to a vapor recovery system

was I confused, body mounted was the earlier tank and frame mounted is the later tank?
I can check my tank and take pics in the next day or two when I head over to my property if it helps.

RUST

The OEM tanks are pretty thin. If there’s rust flaking off inside, it’s gonna be more prone to pinholes, which could possibly be patched over, unless most of the surrounding metal is wasted then there’s nothing substantial to weld to. Maybe solder, but I don’t know how well that would work out.
That seems like my problem right now, the whole inside is so far gone that I can hear sheets of rust falling off when I shake it. Even even with a chemical bath I don't see this thing coming back to life without a full restoration which is currently beyond my scope, I just need a something that isn't a complete s***show already lol.

I think one of the very early tanks had vapor lines out at each corner; either the 68/9 or 69/71.

The tank that came off my '74 (I think was stock, so would be the 9/71 - 8/76) has the 4 vapor recovery lines in a similar looking place to your tanks.

I got a spare tank from Ige, @nuclearlemon and the only difference I noticed was the fuel inlet did not stick out as far. I wish I had done more detailed pics of the tanks together. I wonder if her tank is one of the 8/76 to 7/80?

7-19-15 076.jpg

The bad/good news is that I am going to swap out the Ige tank and put my original back in.

Pig smells like raw gas back by the passenger rear corner, same way she smelled when I dropped the original tank.

There was a tear in the top of the tank. In this pic you can see where the fuel would run all over the top until it evaporated:

8-02-15 035.jpg

The Ige tank would not take the spare tire winch, so I did not force it. There must be a slight difference on the bottom of the two tanks, or maybe the '76 - '80 tank is a little deeper for extra fuel capacity?

Here is a picture of the tear - does not do a good job of showing the location on the top of the tank:

9-22-15 049.jpg

That seems like my problem right now, the whole inside is so far gone that I can hear sheets of rust falling off when I shake it. Even even with a chemical bath I don't see this thing coming back to life without a full restoration which is currently beyond my scope, I just need a something that isn't a complete s***show already lol.

If you find a solution, want to donate your tank to science?

Not promising anything, but how sweet would it be to reproduce a Pig tank that will fit, and designed to take a common in-tank pump...

I may have a later spare tire winch/crossmember, wonder if the shape changed to go with the tank??

there was a member in the midwest looking for a tank for his 69, and I sent him pics of mine and he stated that mine had extra lines, by the fill port versus his tank
wonder if the vent lines on each corner of the tank, helped fill the tank to relieve air as it fills from a lower point??

I may have a later spare tire winch/crossmember, wonder if the shape changed to go with the tank??

there was a member in the midwest looking for a tank for his 69, and I sent him pics of mine and he stated that mine had extra lines, by the fill port versus his tank
wonder if the vent lines on each corner of the tank, helped fill the tank to relieve air as it fills from a lower point??
Hmm... I have a vague memory of someone showing a fill neck with 2 vent lines in the thread about where to buy new fill hose.

@scrapdaddy was that you?

How much would you want for the later spare tire winch? I would like to see if it fits with this tank, and compare to the winch that came off my’74

Yes, my old fill neck had two vent lines and the tank had vent tubes on each corner. Each cargo area had a emissions fume catcher with a rubber line running over the top connecting each other, crazy. The Long Range tank I have now uses all four vents at one corner.

IMG_2856.JPG

Last edited:
I had an issue getting a early spare winch on the 1976 limo. Had to do some mods

I talked to my local aluminum guy and he said it would be WAY cheaper for him to modify a standard rectangular one you buy from Jegs or summit to work versus making a brand new one from scratch.

I had an issue getting a early spare winch on the 1976 limo. Had to do some mods

I talked to my local aluminum guy and he said it would be WAY cheaper for him to modify a standard rectangular one you buy from Jegs or summit to work versus making a brand new one from scratch.
Do you think that it would be possible to modify an aftermarket tank with the proper baffles and vent/intake/return lines?

Do you think that it would be possible to modify an aftermarket tank with the proper baffles and vent/intake/return lines?

Well you will have to find one with baffles or use foam.

Most all come with return provisions.

Find a local fan shop and seek advice.

I would find a used one or do as I did and get a Long Range Automotive via @FJ60Cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom