Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have used the new Holley when I did my swap but it hadn’t came out yet.
Many reasons. Big one is ability to make on the fly changes freely. Like if I decide to swap a 4l80e in, or go drive by wire, or new cam, displacement, turbo etc
The stock computers suck for this.
There’s more but I’ll text you the long version since it’s way off topic for this forum

Last edited:
After much thought I decided to put my rig up for sale to fund a new build. Here’s a copy of my add from my TLCA clubs Facebook page

Last edited:
Don’t do it. It’s a trap. Hope this is an April Fools joke. A lot of people on that trend right now haha

Yeah April Fools haha. I may abuse and neglect it but I'd never get rid of my first love ♥
And $18K? Come on that's ridiculous

ok so I think I'm ready to put hydro assist on this thing. I have the 80 steering box currently installed, but I have another 60 box that needs a rebuild so I'm probably just going to rebuild that one and tap it for the hydro assist ports. I doubt the slightly more powerful box matters once the hydro assist is on anyways. On a side note I haven't been happy with my steering assist since the V8 swap even with my upgraded "CBR" pump (2019 duramax pump) last year. I'm just not getting that "one finger" steering. I changed literally everything when I did the motor swap, I had a few different pumps since then and burned the cheaper ones up pretty easily but none have really made a huge difference in assist. So maybe a hydroboost or steering box issue? I'm wondering if my hydroboost is too restrictive or the box is just too tight. I've never touched the adjusting screw before on it.
Anyways I'm planning on a 1.5" ram which seems to be the perfect size.
Also been thinking about making a double sheer pitman arm and steering arms, converting to crossover with aluminum links, and 6-stud knuckle conversion. Making everything from scratch of course.

Usually everyone ports their steering box on the "Toyoda" and on the round part but I found this old picture with both ports on top, which I think would work way better for my hose routing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Pics uploaded by @lowenbrau about 2006 i think

60ps1.JPG

ported60box.JPG

You might want to rethink the 1.5" ram. I put a 1.5" ram on the brown 60 and barely noticed any assist in normal driving, slightly better in the rocks.
Surplus Center has good RAM prices. Discount Hydraulic Hose.com has a good price on R2 hydraulic hose and reuseable fittings.

It drives down the street fine, no death wobble or bump steer or anything like that, I just want more assist when bound up in the rocks with the front locked up.

You might want to rethink the 1.5" ram. I put a 1.5" ram on the brown 60 and barely noticed any assist in normal driving, slightly better in the rocks.
Surplus Center has good RAM prices. Discount Hydraulic Hose.com has a good price on R2 hydraulic hose and reuseable fittings.

Hmm. Maybe 1.75” would be perfect then? PSC has a 1.75x6”.
Was planning on a PSC ram they’re only a few bucks more and I like the mounting more.

I couldn’t imagine driving mine one handed down the freeway without hydro assist, it’s a game changer. I tapped mine on the Toyoda stamp too.

Do you have straight fittings or 90’s coming off the box? I want to use straight swivel hose ends on one end of each hose so I don’t have to be super careful with the hose orientation. If that makes sense

Correction: I searched my memory banks, It was a 1.75" ram I had gone with. If I was doing mine over again, I would put a 2" on it. I will say the 1.75 didn't affect road manners or make steering twitchy the least little bit.
I put swivel ends on everything including the crawler. I never found the sharp 90 bends to cause any problems. Other people might have different results.

Do you have straight fittings or 90’s coming off the box? I want to use straight swivel hose ends on one end of each hose so I don’t have to be super careful with the hose orientation. If that makes sense
I have the ram size 1.5”x6” stroke and I’ve got swivel 90s on both ends. The hydro assist ram came with the hydraulic hose and fittings. Works great.

I'm not concerned about a flow restriction, just routing. If you have a hose with 90's on both ends then extra attention needs to be spent when lining up for the crimps. I guess a non-issue if I spend for serviceable fittings, trying to keep the price down though.
I'm taking my core steering box apart tonight so i'll take a look and see where I want to tap it. I really like the way it's done in those pics I posted with both fittings on top. avoiding the hoses going around the front of the steering box.

ok so I think I'm ready to put hydro assist on this thing. I have the 80 steering box currently installed, but I have another 60 box that needs a rebuild so I'm probably just going to rebuild that one and tap it for the hydro assist ports. I doubt the slightly more powerful box matters once the hydro assist is on anyways. On a side note I haven't been happy with my steering assist since the V8 swap even with my upgraded "CBR" pump (2019 duramax pump) last year. I'm just not getting that "one finger" steering. I changed literally everything when I did the motor swap, I had a few different pumps since then and burned the cheaper ones up pretty easily but none have really made a huge difference in assist. So maybe a hydroboost or steering box issue? I'm wondering if my hydroboost is too restrictive or the box is just too tight. I've never touched the adjusting screw before on it.
Anyways I'm planning on a 1.5" ram which seems to be the perfect size.
Also been thinking about making a double sheer pitman arm and steering arms, converting to crossover with aluminum links, and 6-stud knuckle conversion. Making everything from scratch of course.

Usually everyone ports their steering box on the "Toyoda" and on the round part but I found this old picture with both ports on top, which I think would work way better for my hose routing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Pics uploaded by @lowenbrau about 2006 i think

View attachment 2320177
View attachment 2320178
I can't quite remember which build this was but my friends and I did a few like this and at least a couple are still running around on this setup. I was hoping there would be a way to kit up a ported box for folks with limited fab skills so they could just swap the cap with a ported one but obviously that only helped with pressure from one side.

I can't quite remember which build this was but my friends and I did a few like this and at least a couple are still running around on this setup. I was hoping there would be a way to kit up a ported box for folks with limited fab skills so they could just swap the cap with a ported one but obviously that only helped with pressure from one side.

cool. I'm going to do mine the same I think. I think I'll have to cut my inner fender a bit but other then that the way you did it makes a lot more sense to me then drilling on the outside and having to route the hose forward and around the box

So I took a steering box apart today and I don't see how you get away with drilling into the 4-bolt top piece (sector shaft retainer) the way you did? It looks like it would go right into the bearing.

So I took a steering box apart today and I don't see how you get away with drilling into the 4-bolt top piece (sector shaft retainer) the way you did? It looks like it would go right into the bearing.
Yep. You're testing my memory but I think the spot was carefully chosen so the oil flows right through the bearing. @shaker

Last edited:
Yep. You're testing my memory but I think the spot was carefully chosen so the oil flows right through the bearing.

ok, thanks. obviously, as you said, you did it, more then once, and it works. Looks like i will just have to be careful with the drill

looking back through the last few pages I realized I never posted anything at all about my steering pump "upgrades" here. It's probably useless info for everyone else on here but some may find it entertaining. I'll post up some stuff later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom