Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I realized I never updated. Been driving every day the past month, the transmission still makes noise on coast and decel but I’m over working on it. Just going to live with it, turn the radio up and look into some sound insulation additions.

Last night I test drive it with my new rear shocks, set up the way I should have from the beginning but ran out of money. These are Fox 2.0’s that I ordered from Accutune Off-roadside they are setup custom for me. I am extremely pleased with them. They nailed what I asked for, firm to help combat body roll but smooth and not jarring over bumps. Absolutely worth the money. And now I really want a pair for the front of course.
The lower mounts are the super tough Ruffstuff ones and I made the upper mounts quick and dirty.

A9859E32-BDC0-4022-BC4C-E89638C955E2.jpeg

9E94A3C0-CF1D-4CF3-A46E-6ED57F7CBBDF.jpeg
79C9FD83-5E7D-48FE-A2E3-E071267A5E01.jpeg

Damn dude! You sprung for the fancy shocks.

What valving did you specify?

Not sure! I just gave them a very detailed description of the truck, springs, tires, intended usage, type of terrain, weight, etc. and Accutune set them up accordingly.

The remotes aren’t going to contact the old upper shock mounts are they?

No, they’re farther back on the chassis then the original shock mounts. I would cut them off but I am thinking about using them for exhaust hangers.

ok so after messing around in the woods yesterday with guns, tannerite, etc, we went to leave when it started getting dark, we got lost a few times, and it had also been raining a bit lately so the exits trails were pretty muddy.. and the lifted F150 in the group kept getting stuck. One of these times I was trying to pull him and out and was really giving it hell back and forth with 1st and reverse and after we got him out and the rest of the night I noticed shifting had started to get more difficult, and became increasing so. On the road back it required several clutch pumps to get into 1st or 2nd.. Anyways, I figures I burned some clutch fluid or the slave since its right next to the exhaust and i never made the heat shield I had said I would. Got home and went to investigate and found this:

So that's fun. hopefully not a hard fix. I guess that's the downside of having the clutch pivot mounted to the transmission instead of the bellhousing, the load is transferred through the bolts. Time for a upgrade I guess
I also smashed my passenger front door and semi-new fender by pinballing off a tree so that's annoying, but I was already able to get the door 95% popped out and it had already been hit a few times prior, and I think i'll be able to hammer most of the fender dent out.

Yep, should have it fixed tonight and driving to work tomorrow morning. waiting for rain to die down and then going to get after it

Last edited:
Happy new years everyone, i had a short day at work today so I got home at about 1:30, pulled the transmission and bellhousing out, looked at it, then went with a friend to buy a F150 parts truck for something else, and then we slammed the 62 back together. Looks like the bolts just loosened up, I didn’t put any threadlocker or probably even really tighten them that hard when I put it together last yet.
So I replaced two bolts with longer ones and nylock nuts, and a bunch of threadlocker on the upper bolts (I only had two longer bolts in inventory otherwise would have done all of them). Hopefully no more issues with this.

1789CADF-2F5E-44BE-B05B-38DEC8911D15.jpeg

9AE12260-A61A-439E-84F6-260EF96F3241.jpeg

942C5330-7876-4F6F-87E9-1B9CFC0216FA.jpeg

Last edited:
just wanted to update two months later that ive driven the truck every day since... so about 3000 miles (60 miles daily plus a few trips including one into a lake). Day after submarine excursion (which also included trying to yank a stuck Jeep, noticed the next day or so that the clutch felt weird and had some shakes at idle. This time it was the transmission/adapter plate bolts. Tightened them up in the Home Depot parking lot with my beloved Milwaukee and put them on the list to get safety wire and threadlocker. Hopefully will get that done this weekend, wanting to maybe do some light wheeling while the weather is still decent down here.
Pic of swim, taken after we woke up (parked here at about 5:30am and then promptly reclined the seats and went to sleep, Subaru seats reclining completely flat are a great feature)

C92AFAD5-AFBA-4DCC-9025-4BC141EEBCF0.jpeg

Cool. But no pix, no happen.
refresh. added.

And my friend @Oscar Witte who showed up to rescue me and then pulled out my friend's Jeep that I was on my way to recover before I failed like 1000ft away. And then popped the front diff on his 80 and then drove through a lake and soaked his fiance who was thrilled to be there. So we'll need to get his diff fixed for like the 8th time.

40918E09-4C8F-483C-AB6A-70726B76A218.jpeg

just wanted to update two months later that ive driven the truck every day since... so about 3000 miles (60 miles daily plus a few trips including one into a lake). Day after submarine excursion (which also included trying to yank a stuck Jeep, noticed the next day or so that the clutch felt weird and had some shakes at idle. This time it was the transmission/adapter plate bolts. Tightened them up in the Home Depot parking lot with my beloved Milwaukee and put them on the list to get safety wire and threadlocker. Hopefully will get that done this weekend, wanting to maybe do some light wheeling while the weather is still decent down here.
Pic of swim, taken after we woke up (parked here at about 5:30am and then promptly reclined the seats and went to sleep, Subaru seats reclining completely flat are a great feature)

View attachment 2227303
What's rad about this is your obvious adherence to the "tools not jewels" mantra.

Just another day in the life of an owner of a very impractical 80. lol And shout out to you and your buddy. Very stand up guys.

Which subaru seats sit completely flat?

Just another day in the life of an owner of a very impractical 80. lol And shout out to you and your buddy. Very stand up guys.

It will be super practical once we get the tons under it

Which subaru seats sit completely flat?

My seats are Subaru 2002-06 Impreza I think? They recline almost completely flat, definitely enough to sleep comfortably in my opinion. If you mounted the front higher then I did they would be pretty flat reclined.

So I am seriously considering putting a Holley EFI setup on my truck.. any potential LS swappers interested in a deal on a used standalone harness made by PSI? Two years old with no damage, just some dirt but it would clean up like new.

Last edited:
So I am seriously considering putting a Holley EFI setup on my truck.. any potential LS swappers interested in buying a deal on a used standalone harness made by PSI? Two years old with no damage, just some dirt but it would clean up like new.
Why the switch to Holley?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom