Choke cable variations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSCN9447.JPG
DSCN9448.JPG

I jumped the Gun a bit , :confused:

this is what the 1974 FJ55 choke cable started Life as .......

Using the same as TOYOTA did in 1974 By-Hand Techniques I apply the solid brass end cap Ferrel

DSCN9436.JPG
DSCN9442.JPG
DSCN9443.JPG
DSCN9444.JPG
DSCN9445.JPG

Second are the 9/66-7/70 variety, marked by the large unframed choke butterfly inside a recessed head. Bare spiral sheath, solid core.

View attachment 1395691

Question for you Mark - doesn't the smooth domed head choke cable go through 8/67-ish and the one above starts in 9/67 vs 9/66? I ask since my yellow truck is a '67 and was built sometime b/w March and April in 1967 (based on SOR's chart) and has the all metal dash.

Question for you Mark - doesn't the smooth domed head choke cable go through 8/67-ish and the one above starts in 9/67 vs 9/66? I ask since my yellow truck is a '67 and was built sometime b/w March and April in 1967 (based on SOR's chart) and has the all metal dash.

Adding @65swb45 so he will more easily see your question.

Interesting. My 6/71 build date fj40 has a choke cable with the butterfly in the box that you indicate was 73-74. I would've thought that my choke cable was stock for my year.

B8r8TU_f2l2Db3ou4DYdtubVOWKq5eaux3mh9nqIfYdb7RpJLgFWVI6CWs_nO7n3tr9FPR1XRz3CoFCjavmKR2ixDEGhTOy-KR1UeHajmXF6xML-gf-WI6sACJC_9YvWO9c14w

S3SF2mq9qhHNz-ganLtun2vKRrAG7YDG9GaCDmFcQCXX0om5LuDk1Dv4o3XtLa02c9uVdtl_iMnq_F60QycRV-V5pS9S2uYhDo3ggu8uaLegBuF2wQtMWOmNPpB0XZQdKhUapw

I have the same knob in my early '72

Last edited:
@DSRTRDR , That's the Holy-Grale of " RARE " when it comes to Control Cables

& was particular to this Model year at the very least

@HelloKitty65
&
@Martyt

are the only Human Beings on Planet Earth that have ones that i know of o_O

DSCN9801.JPG
DSCN9802.JPG

my choke cable has the square box, though - and in the place of that throttle cable hole in the dash I have a custom illuminated pull knob (Hella brand) for an aftermarket radio

my hand throttle cable for all these years has been the '73-and-later style (sold to me by Marv Specter himself in circa 2005) mounted under the dash next to the under-dash hand-brake

Jon

As I said when I started this thread, my information is inferential; I have never consulted a parts book or microfiche on this. My logic is that the dashpad came online in early ‘67, and it seems like it would have been an appropriate time to make the other style changes in the knobs.
In 1988 I bought a mid year ‘67(don’t remember the exact production) with the dashpad and later style knobs. I was sorely disappointed to learn when I started tearing into the front end that it was a ball joint, not a birfield type, as I was having quite a run on them with my new-to-me ARB air locker (second one off the boat from AU).

That is the extent of the information from which I made the distinction. Just something to start a discussion.

Jon

As I said when I started this thread, my information is inferential; I have never consulted a parts book or microfiche on this. My logic is that the dashpad came online in early ‘67, and it seems like it would have been an appropriate time to make the other style changes in the knobs.
In 1988 I bought a mid year ‘67(don’t remember the exact production) with the dashpad and later style knobs. I was sorely disappointed to learn when I started tearing into the front end that it was a ball joint, not a birfield type, as I was having quite a run on them with my new-to-me ARB air locker (second one off the boat from AU).

That is the extent of the information from which I made the distinction. Just something to start a discussion.

Thanks for the additional details. All metal dash (no pad) and smooth domed throttle / choke knobs go together and changed with the intro of the pad...makes sense to me!

Inferential—- spoken like a lawyer:). The logic makes sense to me. Part of the fun of the 40s is figuring out some of the factory changes. Some had to do with the US market—Toyota was always playing catchup on emissions; hence the carb on my 69’ which was on 3/69-9/69. With that said, imperfect science at best since there was a human effort at the factory.

Thanks for the additional details. All metal dash (no pad) and smooth domed throttle / choke knobs go together and changed with the intro of the pad...makes sense to me!

hi Jon,

This part # is in my 1965 USA spec. print media paper parts Cataloger

i can't say i have ever seen another one ?

and here's why ; The knob is 100% Cast Plastic of some sort , a new material toyota introduced , maybe the

knobs all broke off within a short period of time and were upgraded to something else or retrofitted with the first

generation dish face ones u refer to above ?

Note: the textured Knob face o_O

DSCN8805.JPG
DSCN8806.JPG
DSCN8808.JPG
DSCN8809.JPG
DSCN8812.JPG

@RAGINGMATT - curious if you've run across an engine "stop control button" before? My '83 illuminated choke knob acts the part fine but I've always wondered about replacing it with a factory stop knob.
stop engine knob.png

Yes ,

i have
@RAGINGMATT - curious if you've run across an engine "stop control button" before? My '83 illuminated choke knob acts the part fine but I've always wondered about replacing it with a factory stop knob.
View attachment 1891913

Yes, i have

i think the knob is Fixed & part of a bigger assy. that goes behind the dash ?

are u looking for the entire " Thing " ?

Not that rare. These guys got lots 'em. For some reason they collect 'em. Tough to compete on EBay. They pick you up and you wake up with your memory wiped.View attachment 1891929

Hilarious!!! So all those throttle controls were whisked away— an abduction. LMFAO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom