Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little more of "Louis" Schenot (a family name ... my grandfather and uncle were also Louis and my middle name is Louis)

From a website a relative had created awhile back.... better details of his Civil War career

"Louis’s first enlistment came on May 12, 1861, when he joined Company H, 69th Regiment of the New York State Militia. A website that calls itself the Civil War Archive has accounts of the activity of each of the units with which Louis served.

Louis’ name appears in the muster rolls for this enlistment as follows:

SHENOTT, Lewis
Company: H Unit: 69 N. Y. State Militia
Rank In: Private Rank Out: Private
National Archives Microfilm Box, Roll, and Record: 000551, 0127, 00003404

In his first enlistment Louis Shenot joined the “Irish Brigade,” commanded by Colonel Michael Corcoran. The 69th New York State Militia was present at the battle of 1st Bull Run (Manassas), in which Colonel Corcoran was wounded. A History of the 69th New York can be found at this website.

Louis Shenot was honorably discharged from – or “mustered out” of – the 69th New York State Militia in New York City in August 1861.

His first experience as a soldier couldn’t have been all bad, because Louis re-enlisted the very next summer. On May 29, 1862, he joined Company I, 8th Regiment of the New York State Militia (Infantry). The Civil War Archive website identifies this regiment as the “8th Regiment National Guard Infantry.”

Louis Shenot was honorably discharged in New York City on September 10, 1862. His name appears in the muster rolls for this re-enlistment:

SHENOTT, Lewis
Company: I Unit: 8 N. Y. State Militia
Rank In: Private Rank Out: Private
National Archives Microfilm Box, Roll, and Record: 000551, 0127, 00003403

Louis’ last re-enlistment came the next summer, when he was mustered into Company F, 37th Regiment, New York State Militia (Infantry) on June 18, 1863. His final tour of duty was also the shortest: Louis was honorably discharged on July 22, 1863. The Civil War Archive website identifies this regiment as the “37th Regiment National Guard Infantry.”

This is the only enlistment for which we have not yet found Louis’s name on a muster roll index. His pension documents, which were written mostly in longhand by various officials, indicate in at least two places that he was listed for his service with the 37th Regiment as Lewis “Schnant” or “Schenant” or “Schenaut.” For obvious reasons we suspect spelling, handwriting, and/or transcription differences may be the reason we can’t find Louis’s name. It’s always possible, too, that the original muster roll documents were lost, damaged, or destroyed."

About the 69th also called "The fighting 69th"
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/69th_Infantry_Regiment_(New_York)

The 8th Regiment National Guard Infantry called up for the Gettysburg campaign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Army_National_Guard)

Again entered service for thirty days June, 1863. Left State for Harrisburg, Pa., June 18, and duty there until July. Attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Dept. of the Susquehanna. Mustered out at New York City July 23, 1863.

Its interesting that a 'John' Van Alstyne had died during the Gettysburg Battle (my wifes side of family) and 'Louis' (my side of the family) was also at Gettysburg... there is no mention of Louis actually 'in' the fight... but... the time frame puts him there.... supposedly the unit had joined with the 40th NY as the main body of the 37th was decimated during Chansselorsville.

Hi All,
I enlisted in the U.S. Army to be a helicopter pilot. That was after high school and a 2 year trade school in electronics. After bombing out of flight school I picked avionics. I finished my first tour after spending a year in Korea and Ft Sam Houston, TX. I tried college for 2 years and home wasn't the same. I had changed. I enlisted again and ended up going to Germany for a 3 year tour and them stationed in Southern Alabama at Ft Rucker. I had my first 4x4 truck (Toyota Long Bed) and loved the red clay. A nice electronics school at Ft Devens, MA and I would up in White Sands New Mexico. I sold the truck to a co-worker after owning it for 17 years. I put 12 years in the Army, 10 years as a Gov't Employee at White Sands and am now getting close to having 40 years with my 18 years with DOJ. I got the 78 FJ40 off eBay from a guy in NE Indiana. It was once owned by the collector Bud Mic out of Novi, Michigan. The 40 once had Fuel Injection, 250 HP Nitrous boost and a 3K stall converter. The previous owned removed the Nitrous and the FI. I had the stall converter changed. I still have a hefty cam and get rubber in first and second from the light.
My mother found one of my ancestors was the Provost for Governor Bradford in the Mass bay colony. Another was a Revolutionary War soldier Zacharias Wooden fought the British in his nineties. I even have a fifth cousin Bruce Springsteen but he never writes.
I do a lot of Ham Radio. I have been at it for over 40 years. My mud id is my ham call.

Best Wishes, Larry Springsteen in El Paso, TX

stationed in Southern Alabama at Ft Rucke

Hey Larry welcome aboard,

Thanks for your service...

Dothan Alabama AKA "South LA" as my rotor-wing buddies call it. I spent several weekends there as a young 2LT, impersonating an astronaut (can't make this up), while attending the "Benning School for boys". Dothan, as I recall, was the natural habitat and "nesting grounds" for the cherub faced, spandex clad, Maybelline streaked "Dothan Deb" (Debutant)...A flightless "bird" of varying circumference, often found roosting in mass at or near the Club at Ft Rucker.....:D

Care to share some pics of that chert rocking eating TLC???

Last edited:
@WB8LBZ

I was at the NY State Office of Emergency Management located in Albany ny ... We used a cool ham radio set up in the building that they are located in It was converted from a nuclear fall out shelter. I was there with the Young Marine unit we belong to. Talked half way round the world... Cool stuff ham radio

Hope to get the kids into it more some time

I leave the glib tongue to Jeff.

My friend you honor me, but you presume too much. I am without doubt, a humble product of the WV public school system, a nephew to an infamous bootlegger, and was once accused, in a lesser court, of 2nd degree "Mopery" (to wander aimlessly)...I now, through the MUD Forum, stand on the shoulders of Giants!

I think maybe we are getting some traction on the "Highway"!! Thanks Danny!

My friend you honor me, but you presume too much. I am without doubt, a humble product of the WV public school system, a nephew to an infamous bootlegger, and was once accused, in a lesser court, of 2nd degree "Mopery" (to wander aimlessly)...I now, through the MUD Forum, stand on the shoulders of Giants!

Your flowery prose brings smiles to the faces of all who read it!!

I think maybe we are getting some traction on the "Highway"!! Thanks Danny!

It seems so, Jeff... hope it continues to build!! Keep up the good work!!

@JohnnyC
Ham Radio has changed a lot in the past 40 years, no more Morse code, local testing and internet practice tests.

Larry

@JohnnyC
Ham Radio has changed a lot in the past 40 years, no more Morse code, local testing and internet practice tests.

Larry

HAM Radio has changed a lot. Now the computer/digital world is getting involved. Personally, I can understand the situation. Early years, morse code was necessary, as time passes, appears not needed. Communication , is always needed, so , HF will never go. Now, if the world falls apart, morse code may be important. I , myself , love HAM radio and realize its' overall importance, especially in disaster...

I was there with the Young Marine unit we belong to.

JohnnyC can you elaborate on the "Young Marine" organization? Is it a local group or does it have a larger audience..I recall you mentioning it in another post. Sounds like a very worthwhile endeavor.

The Young Marines are an international youth program .... run by non-active duty Marines... as well as currently serving Marines.

Young Marines: http://www.youngmarines.com/

The local Young Marine units are usually 'attached' with a MCL (Marine Corps League) detachment ... Our unit is attached to the Captain William Dale O'Brien Detachment 241:

https://www.mcleague.com/mdp/userpages/CAPT_WM._DALE_OBRIEN-676.php
https://www.facebook.com/CaptWmDaleOBrien241

Our Unit is the Hudson Mohawk Young Marines based out of the capital region in upstate NY
link to our site: www.HudsonMohawkYoungMarines.webs.com

we are within Division 1, Southern New England Regiment, 1st Battalion SNER

there are literally hundreds of units throughout the USA .... we are a low profile organization :)

May 15 1756The Seven Years War, a global conflict known in America as the French and Indian War, officially begins when England declares war on France.

May 15 1864Students from the Virginia Military Institute take part in the Battle of New Market, part of the multi-pronged Union offensive in the spring of 1864 designed to take Virginia out of the war.

May 15 1918Pfc. Henry Johnson and Pfc. Needham Roberts received the Croix de Guerre for their services in World War I. They were the first Americans to win France’s highest military medal.

May 15 1942
A bill establishing a women’s corps in the U.S. Army becomes law, creating the Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (WAACs) and granting women official military status.

May 15 1945
On Okinawa, American troops secure Chocolate Drop Hill after fighting in the interconnecting tunnels.

May 15 1951
After the quick rout of two South Korean divisions by an attack of some 120,000 Communist Chinese troops, the U.S. 2nd Infantry Division, supported by intense and accurate 105mm howitzer fire from Wyoming’s 300th Armored Field Artillery Battalion stemmed the enemy assault long enough for American positions to stabilize.

May 15 1963Gordon Cooper is launched into space aboard Faith 7 on the longest American space mission to that date.

May 15 1967U.S. forces just south of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) come under heavy fire as Marine positions between Dong Ha and Con Thien are pounded by North Vietnamese artillery.

May 15 1975Merchant ship U.S. Mayaguez was recaptured from Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge.

May 15 1988More than eight years after they intervened in Afghanistan to support the procommunist government, Soviet troops begin their withdrawal.

May 15 1996
US Navy Admiral Jeremy Boorda committed suicide shortly before answering questions from Newsweek Magazine about his right to wear certain combat pins.

May 15 2003
– US Army forces stormed into a village near the northern city of Tikrit before dawn, seizing more than 260 prisoners, including one man on the most-wanted list of former Iraqi officials.

May 15 2014Shinseki testifies before the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. “Any allegation, any adverse incident like this makes me mad as hell,” he says. At the same hearing, acting Inspector General Richard Griffin tells lawmakers that federal prosecutors are working with his office looking into allegations veterans died while waiting for appointments.

The Young Marines are an international youth program .... run by non-active duty Marines... as well as currently serving Marines.

Thanks JohnnyC...Thanks for the information...From a personal perspective, I can't tell you how good it is to hear that an organization such as the "Young Marines" exists....

I usually tell people the Young Marines are kinda like the scouts... but better and with out all the baggage :)

I thought you were going to say "But with better air support"!!!

Last edited:
I know you won't mind... I'm going to copy your

By all means Danny...Some where down the "Highway" I hope to see it copied in more sig blocks!!!

By all means Danny...Some where down the "Highway" I hope to see it copied in more sig blocks!!!

Great idea Jeff!!

Everyone... please add Jeff's two-line or my one-line reference to Veterans' Highway to your signature - maybe more people we become aware of OUR Veterans Highway thread.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom