Best Aftermarket headLights For Fj40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LED headlights with temperature controlled heated lenses are available if you want to drain your bank account. For whatever reason the heated lense LED headlight has not made it to the budget friendly price range yet.

I've been eyeballing the Rigid ones. They don't screw around on charging for those things.

I've got the set that City Racer offers. They're decent, but I'm super happy with the Rigid lights I have on the bumpers. They are incredibly bright. And by pure dumb luck, have a fantastic spread the way they are mounted

I‘ve been searching for RHD iteration for a long time. No luck.
what are the correct part #'s Beno? 81110-60P70? Is that just one light or you get the set?

When I bought that part number, 81110-60P70, a year or so ago, it came with both lights, harness with connectors, relays and a bag of wire ties. It was plug and play. @Beno would know but I believe the harness is so long so it fits the 60 series also.
Many have shortened the harness for cleaner looking install on a 40 but I just doubled the harness and hid it along radiator support.

Every place I've checked is out of stock. Does anyone have any leads of a place to buy them that's not going to rape me on shipping?

I ordered a set to just to have as extra and just got an email that they are back ordered. Expected delivery between Nov. 8 - 30th.
I ordered from Conecelli Toyota outside of Philadelphia. First time I have an order on back order. Someone must have hit Toyota hard and stocked up nationwide.

When I bought that part number, 81110-60P70, a year or so ago, it came with both lights, harness with connectors, relays and a bag of wire ties. It was plug and play. @Beno would know but I believe the harness is so long so it fits the 60 series also.
Many have shortened the harness for cleaner looking install on a 40 but I just doubled the harness and hid it along radiator support.
Long enough for 60 series with plenty of extra. Just installed in my 60 last week.

Stock on these has been spotty since the middle of the summer. My ETAs from Toyota on various parts orders are usually very accurate, but on the Koito headlight kits they either come weeks early, weeks late, not at all, or the ETA keeps changing. There was a point this summer where the North American stock cratered, from a TON of these kits available in the Toyota system to single-digits - almost overnight - so all that's left is a trickle from overseas and whatever dealers are hanging on to. That's my best analysis anyway. Now the big-name online dealers are selling them for less than my wholesale cost. I'm not really sure if they have any stock or just advertising the stupid low price to clicks on their website. Hard to compete with that as a small-time vendor though.

The takeaway: get 'em when and how you can. When I saw the stock drying up I kept three extra sets for myself ... just in case I accidentally acquire another Cruiser, which has been known to happen.

I ordered two sets this past weekend from Desert Toyota in Tucson. I got an email invoice on Monday. I emailed them to ask if that means they have it or if they will notify me when they arrive. They emailed right back saying they were ready for pickup. They were only $16.51 each kit.

I think it was over $50 if shipped. I picked up at the counter.

Last edited:
I love the looks of the H4. I may go with this kit also.
Does anyone have a DIY link to do the upgrade to the H4? Looks like there is another harness involved and it isn't as simple as plug and play.

I installed the OEM Toyota Koito H4's on my FJ40 this weekend. Quoting my post earlier in the thread to correct myself, this kit was plug and play and very simple to install using the included diagram instructions.

The kit came with the lights, harness, zip ties, and grease. Pretty much everything you would need. I had to fab a little bracket for the relays and install new battery positive and negative attachments as the ones on the included harness were too small for the battery bolts.

The lights are beautiful with a period correct look and much brighter than what I had (just some generic Sylvanias). As mentioned previously on Mud, the kit is a tremendous value and I'm convinced this is the best modification you can do to a 40 series per dollar spent. A few pics below:

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

I installed the OEM Toyota Koito H4's on my FJ40 this weekend. Quoting my post earlier in the thread to correct myself, this kit was plug and play and very simple to install using the included diagram instructions.

The kit came with the lights, harness, zip ties, and grease. Pretty much everything you would need. I had to fab a little bracket for the relays and install new battery positive and negative attachments as the ones on the included harness were too small for the battery bolts.

The lights are beautiful with a period correct look and much brighter than what I had (just some generic Sylvanias). As mentioned previously on Mud, the kit is a tremendous value and I'm convinced this is the best modification you can do to a 40 series per dollar spent. A few pics below:

View attachment 3457354

View attachment 3457355

View attachment 3457363

View attachment 3457364

View attachment 3457366

i really dig the non-usa PTO Winch mounting location of your FOG lamps that you settled on ......

it's more natural and balanced too ...

out front is .........well too out front , they get knocked off and such .,...:confused:

very sharp .....:)

1977 FJ40 - still has the front OEM harness with no modifications.

I modified and installed the 81110-60P70 headlight kit this weekend. Went for a night drive with the lights on and noticed that my AMP meter stayed pegged on 30+, or very close to it. Has anyone else seen this anomaly with their installs?

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

I'll mention that I have the City Racer LED lamps and I love them...but I found out the hard way that they dont get hot enough to melt wet warm snow on the highway.
The headlights were caked over about a inch thick with close to zero light transmission.
It was a very short drive around twilight and it was very hard to see down the road. When I got home I found out why...
View attachment 3296814
I put a coat of RainX on them... sheds water and ice🤗

I modified and installed the 81110-60P70 headlight kit this weekend. Went for a night drive with the lights on and noticed that my AMP meter stayed pegged on 30+, or very close to it. Has anyone else seen this anomaly with their installs?

View attachment 3504326

View attachment 3504327

Rick ,

what did you
modify when you installed the 60p70 Kit , H4 lamps and included wire harness ?

View attachment 3504326

View attachment 3504327

I shortened and installed the kit. I'm also no longer using my ammeter, so I have no idea how many amps it's drawing. I'm running a GM internally regulated alt. I will say, my lighting has improved significantly.
Ill be watching what other folks experiences are. Looking at your pic, it appears you removed 1 relay and fuse. I'm curious as to why.

My 77 has a similar issue, not pegged to the right but lets say half way between center line and pegged. I've been rolling with it for a couple of years now, no battery charging or any other electrical issues that I have noticed

My 77 has a similar issue, not pegged to the right but lets say half way between center line and pegged. I've been rolling with it for a couple of years now, no battery charging or any other electrical issues that I have noticed

What was your amp draw prior to installing the kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom