Best Gas Tank Option for ‘78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i found a leak in my tank so I think it’s probably time to replace it. I’m looking into options. CCOT seems to have a decent reproduction tank at a decent price ($571), but not currently available. BTB has one ($652! on back order. SOR is over $700.

I’m told Toyota still makes tanks? Is that the way to go (through the dealership)? Does anyone have the PN for a 78 FJ40?

Any other good options/recommendations?

O

OEM Toyota and it will be less then all of those.

I just started another batch of the Downey 22 gallon rear fuel cells- - -just saying.

0197204C-0E8A-4D48-904C-54032402109D-1.jpeg

I just started another batch of the Downey 22 gallon rear fuel cells- - -just saying.

View attachment 3588438
If I didn't already have a good Con-Fer rear tank, this is the route I'd go and free up the space in the cab. I'd planned to ditch the in cab tank, but was given a good in cab tank, so Now I have both and a 400+ mile range... :grinpimp:

the Downey tank does mount up under the rear floor area, behind rear diff. No clearance problems unless you are going to move the rear diff rearward.

the Downey tank does mount up under the rear floor area, behind rear diff. No clearance problems unless you are going to move the rear diff rearward.
How do I contact you about the fuel tanks? Like some more info please.

How do I contact you about the fuel tanks? Like some more info please.
I already replaced my OEM tank. I really didn’t want to drop a grand on an extended fuel tank. I had thought a 7-8 gal tank behind the seats and roll cage cradle that could tap into the OEM would be a neat option for long trips, but it would have to be custom and probably expensive.

I’ll send you my email.

Does the Downey tank mount under the floor? Does it create any clearance issues?
IMG_4728.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

I just picked up the aluminum skid plate from Jim yesterday and will post some pictures when I get it mounted. As you can see the tank would mount easily from underneath. The skid plate replaces the two aluminum straps and is very sturdy. As a guess it's 1/4" plate.
Once the tub is mounted the tank will be tightened up against it.
The submerged fuel pump to the left is for the LS, the fuel sender mounted in the center plate is from Dakota Digital.

Got the skid plate mounted yesterday. With the tub off it looks like the tank is sitting about an inch high in the rear but I will have to wait to see. It will be easy enough to modify but will affect the hitch receiver.
IMG_4844.jpeg

IMG_4845.jpeg

IMG_4846.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom