Aftermarket Air Bags for '73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a '73 FJ40 that is sagging in the rear. This is due to moving the gas tank to the rear, a heavy rear bumper, tire hanger and spare tire. Adding up all of this extra weight is roughly 350 pounds.

I was looking at some of the aftermarket airbag kits and wondered if anyone had ever done this. I know that neither of the two kits below are designed for the FJ40 - just wondering if there are air bag kits out there that people have had luck with. Thanks in advance.

Amazon product ASIN B07W7MDKL6

I can't help you with the air bags, but why not just fit stiffer 45 springs?
My 45 is very stiff in the rear, even with the whole camper /bed/kitchen setup I feel like I need to remove a leaf.

Boss is your only off the shelf option right now.

Torfab used to sell brackets which I prefer because they use airlift bags....but sadly they no longer offer.
Check Slocruisers on eBay. That’s where he sells most of his stuff. I’ve got a 3 bell Airbag on my 60.
contact @SLOCRUISER directly. He is very helpful and will spend time making sure you get what you need

Got a '73 FJ40 that is sagging in the rear. This is due to moving the gas tank to the rear, a heavy rear bumper, tire hanger and spare tire. Adding up all of this extra weight is roughly 350 pounds.

I was looking at some of the aftermarket airbag kits and wondered if anyone had ever done this. I know that neither of the two kits below are designed for the FJ40 - just wondering if there are air bag kits out there that people have had luck with. Thanks in advance.

Amazon product ASIN B07W7MDKL6
I have a ‘73 FJ40. I took the rear hangar eye and sliced the rivets and flipped the eye around. Lined
it back up with the rivet holes, bolted and welded it on. I then mounted 60 series rear spring there.
it really improved the ride and gives more load capacity. The rear shackles had a slightly more angled ride too, definitely smoothed out the bumps. It also moves the rear axle back about 2”.
This in my eye makes the wheel look more centred in the opening and it’s an unnoticeable change
to many. I had really heavy 1/4” ( home made overbuilt rear bumper and tire carrier with
38.5x14/15” TSL SX mounted) and a steel 22 gal rear tank. It went to Yukon twice fully loaded
and these springs worked very well. I used the heavy Confer shackles.
what I did, hope it helps.

I have a ‘73 FJ40. I took the rear hangar eye and sliced the rivets and flipped the eye around. Lined
it back up with the rivet holes, bolted and welded it on. I then mounted 60 series rear spring there.
it really improved the ride and gives more load capacity. The rear shackles had a slightly more angled ride too, definitely smoothed out the bumps. It also moves the rear axle back about 2”.
This in my eye makes the wheel look more centred in the opening and it’s an unnoticeable change
to many. I had really heavy 1/4” ( home made overbuilt rear bumper and tire carrier with
38.5x14/15” TSL SX mounted) and a steel 22 gal rear tank. It went to Yukon twice fully loaded
and these springs worked very well. I used the heavy Confer shackles.
what I did, hope it helps.
Sounds interesting, could you send picks of the hanger eye and anything else you think is noteworthy

I should have mentioned this was a SOA set up. I only have one pic immediately, I kept it
for the pic of my pack of Terriers but it shows clearly the rear shackle angle as well as if I’d
tried to get it. That bumper was 1/4“-2x4 tube, stupid heavy. I had SS slugs that I slid the
tire carrier swing arm over ( exactly like Trail Taylor swing outs before he existed ). Spare
tire redundant while bombing around home. This was dual ARB and I worked it hard.
I’m older now and it will be stock with 60 springs front and rear SUA with 35” tires next.
A3D8193A-0F02-4029-9050-F6AE8DD9CF92.jpeg

Been sitting outside in a shed. Torn down for restoration. Looks far worse than it is. But basically
just shows the position of the reversed eye. Honestly I was surprised that the rivet went thru the side
so close to the edge but that’s the factory original rivet hole. It’s been welded so that bolt is just cause it’s there
E736CC40-B398-4947-B844-6729A83AB8EB.jpeg
37F122A1-8D23-4AB0-B5A4-6C9E5676D467.jpeg
F2DD9BE0-C9A1-4B66-9D93-18EE9DAAEAA6.jpeg
AD4C0371-665A-4D4E-B4EC-E5A075B284FE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom