8x Series V8 Swaps (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
This thread is for V8 swaps to 80 Series Toyota Land Cruisers.

Your truck frame must start with the following: FJ80-0xxxxxx or FZJ80-0xxxxxx. Of course, it can also start with an HDJ/HZJ iteration. Only the Aussies yank out perfectly good Toyota diesel engines to swap V8 power into them... Oh and our friends in the ME as well. :)

Your frame number will always be on the RH side of your truck, on the frame, right near your front RH shock.

Please post direct links to your build thread, post pertinent technical information, and discuss TECHNICAL aspects of V8 swaps into the 8x platform.

No diesel V8's; only small block or big block petrol V8's.

And, yes, Toyota Industries and Bodine Alumimum 4.7L and 5.7L engines are included. One cannot discount how perfect Toyota V8's are in the 8x Series Chassis. Of course, this option requires the serious expertise.

Please keep all discussions pertinent to only technical aspects of petrol V8 swaps--the real "doing" of a swap; no selling of swaps, no vendor sales, no discussions of merit vs a Toyota power plant.

Just: "I did a LT-1 swap and this is how I did it, these are the parts I used, these are the resources I relied upon (pertinent informational resources), this is how much it cost, this is what I would do differently next time, these are the people that did my swap, this is something new I discovered about X."

Keep it empirically-based and keep it authentic.

Drive fast and take chances.

Last edited:

Its currently pulled apart as im cleaning the engine bay and the wiring...

I converted my HZJ80 to 5.7L LS1, im in OZ so parts were easier but also harder then the you guys in the states

I retained the 5speed manual

Rear hump sump from summit racing with 3 in coils clears fine, using some hooker block huggers into a twin 2.5 to single 3in exhuast

I did my own wiring.

Marks adaptors here in australia supplied all the adaptors

Any more questions, just ask :)

Its currently pulled apart as im cleaning the engine bay and the wiring...

I converted my HZJ80 to 5.7L LS1, im in OZ so parts were easier but also harder then the you guys in the states

I retained the 5speed manual

Rear hump sump from summit racing with 3 in coils clears fine, using some hooker block huggers into a twin 2.5 to single 3in exhuast

I did my own wiring.

Marks adaptors here in australia supplied all the adaptors

Any more questions, just ask :)

Toyota 5 speed manual? H150F? H151F? What adaptor did you use? Mark's?

1995 80 Series with brand new GM LS3 6.2 EROD crate motor with a nearly new 2 mile 6L80E transmission from a GMC 2500 4x4.

-Cruise Control - Check
-Manual tap +/- shifting - Check
-Sport mode - Check
-Tow Haul mode - Check
-GM A/C-Check
-GM Power Steering-Check
-PRNDM mode in shifter with PRN123456 digital read out- Check
-No money Left - Check

Just getting ready to start for the first time next week. Will have a complete build thread and will be glad to try and answer any questions that are at my pay grade. Other questions will need to go to the shop that is doing my build. Lot's of little challenges but anything you desire is possible with these builds if you have time and money to do it. Even with a GM LS drive-by-wire engine the factory cruise control lever can operate the cruise control as it did stock. You can have manual tap shifting and tow haul and sport mode if you desire. I admit I desired all of it. Did I mention time and money? More details and info soon.

IMG_4772_2.jpg

IMG_4773_2.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4878.JPG

Last edited:
I wanted to highlight a number of V8 swaps from years past. As the archive gets deeper, it's important to discuss those who came before us to know what has changed, the limitations of early motivations and the acceptance of doing certain swaps in a certain way.

I've been around for many of these discussions over the years and each thread presents very interesting cross-sections of MUD users and history of modifications to these vehicles from members past and present.

V8's swaps are nothing new to the 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser platform.

Jeff (@warpdriv ) down in Texas back in the day: Another Texas LS1 Swap

Lou's (@Luke111 )early Slee Toyota 2UZ-FE swap: New 80 In Virginia

@extremetoy1 2UZ-FE swap into an FJ80 from years ago (2006):
FJ80 2UZFE Tundra V8 Conversion pics and build

@SuperRunner's 2UZ-FE swap (2009):
2UZFE swap into FJ80 - building - in progress

Of course, @rockrod (2011): 1994 FZJ80 5.3l and 4L60e swap

A phenomenal build by Slee and Company for @Boltripper:
BoltRipper's 2-year Overdue Build Thread

@kirk swaps (yes, swaps. Kirk does not settle for less than perfection. Caveat: I used to work for Kirk back in the day when I lived in Ohio and was doing my Ph.D. I moonlighted at Kirk's manufacturing facility in Canton, OH. and learned a lot of fabrication, manufacturing and small business ownership from my time there. Good friends still to this day):

2005:
V8 Swap Project Begins!

Then five years later:
V8 Swap Project Begins! Again with LS2

Then old @RockJock82 down in Arizona:
1996 LX450 5.3L swap let the fun begin!!

My good friends and MUD supporters @35inchoverdrive and @Skrewball from Forge Specialties: great solid work from a specialty mechanical shop on the East Coast:
A 1994 80 Series gets an LQ9 GM V8

@clanlino and his Vortec Swap: 1992 FJ80 6.0 Vortec Engine Swap

Not sure what happened here:
400HP 6.2L LS with 6 Speed auto swap....no lift. Plug 'n play swap kit in development

Another one that disappeared for whatever reason:
New Build: GM 4.2L Atlas into '91 FJ80

1995 5.3L w/o lift kit

And there are many, many other ones that are on MUD that I forgot so my apologies if your's is not listed here. These are just a sampling. There are tons of them all over in different sub-club sections of MUD as well. Do your research and you will be rewarded.

Last edited:
Great idea Onur and a long time coming. Thanks for stepping up and making this happen. So much info that needs to be shared with the masses.

My contribution coming soon....

Even with drive by wire the factory cruise control lever can operate the cruise control as it did stock.

The cruise control and factory lever job is a little more involved than just connecting wires. Certainly, a V8 swap "sticky" wouldn't be complete without @MarkN and his cruise control box. LS SWAP - DBW - Cruise Control

The cruise control and factory lever job is a little more involved than just connecting wires. Certainly, a V8 swap "sticky" wouldn't be complete without @MarkN and his cruise control box. LS SWAP - DBW - Cruise Control

Great information and nicely done.

Everyone goes about these builds in a different direction and there are many different ways to accomplish one's goals. In my case I am running an aftermarket cruise control unit that is designed specifically for the LS drive-by-wire engines. This unit appears to be similar to what MarkN did on his own. Kudos to him on being the first individual to accomplish this and it's obvious that he is a smart guy. The company I hired to do the swap has figured out how to integrate the factory cruise control lever with the aftermarket cruise control system. The EROD ECU doesn't support cruise control or tow haul mode unless you have the ability to re-flash it. This can't be done with HP tuners or any tuning software and there are only a few guys out there that have re-flash capabilities. The guys that are doing this swap for me have all the information and details and will most likely share the information somewhere at the appropriate time and place. They have spent a lot of time and put in a lot of countless hours to get the little details worked out with my build.

Cruise Control for GM LS Drive-by-Wire Engines

Great looking swap! It's so funny to see how small the LS looks in the engine bay and how low it sits considering it is 37% more displacement in 6.2L and much lighter weight. It is the smart swap if you're doing an engine swap.

1995 80 Series with brand new GM LS3 6.2 EROD crate motor with a nearly new 2 mile 6L80E transmission from a GMC 2500 4x4.

-Cruise Control - Check
-Manual tap +/- shifting - Check
-Sport mode - Check
-Tow Haul mode - Check
-GM A/C-Check
-GM Power Steering-Check
-PRNDM mode in shifter with PRN123456 digital read out- Check
-No money Left - Check

Just getting ready to start for the first time next week. Will have a complete build thread and will be glad to try and answer any questions that are at my pay grade. Other questions will need to go to the shop that is doing my build. Lot's of little challenges but anything you desire is possible with these builds if you have time and money to do it. Even with a GM LS drive-by-wire engine the factory cruise control lever can operate the cruise control as it did stock. You can have manual tap shifting and tow haul and sport mode if you desire. I admit I desired all of it. Did I mention time and money? More details and info soon.

View attachment 1319261

View attachment 1319262

View attachment 1319263

View attachment 1319264

View attachment 1319266

Last edited:
OMG WHERE WAS THIS WHEN I STARTED MINE... LOL happy to see its finally here.....
Here's my short thread. Haven't been able to get much done with her, since everyone I know decided to get married this summer, and work has had me on some crazy hours.... But here's my thread The Catamaran is getting a new Boat anchor (5.3L Vortec)
I'll add the other info when I get home tonight...

As stated above where was this when I done mine LOL. I have a 91 fj80 that I have done extensive upgrades to including 05 six-liter lq9 with a tune upgrade to 420 horsepower and 400 pound of torque behind it( Josh at at 208 Motorsports done my harness and my tune) 4l65e to a 203 range box to Jerry's adapter to a split case. Set up with triple stick cable shifters on my range boxes. Stock radiator With Ford Contour electric fans. here's my build thread if you have any questions just ask

There are several things I would do different has different headers different motor mounts

build thread of (ole red)

Last edited:
1997 Collectors Edition with a 4.7L 2UZFE done by Slee Offroad with a host of parts from @beno including new short block from Japan and all OEM accessories.

Swap was done for reliability along with producing enough power for comfortable daily driving and extended cross-country road trips. Re-Gear was done @ 4.56 ratio and the truck even with all external and internal additions feels like it has more power than the wife's stock 2UZFE..

I've personally done several JK Swaps including 5.7L/4L60E and 6.2L/6L80E and from a balance of power and smoothness, the 4.7L was an appropriate choice for me. Having all Toyota was a personal choice for this particular swap and I'm a big fan of GM powerplants and transmissions.

Drawback:

Inability to personally tune engine and transmission. I use EFI Live for GM swaps and its really amazing the additional power you can make with a good tune, especially the transmission.

Thoughts after seat time:

I've driven this over a year now and have about 13,000 miles on the swap. The engine and transmission feel smoother and in synch more each month I drive it. I would do this swap again without hesitation.

Costs:

The Slee swap starts at $25,000 + with a take-out engine, but I went with a new short block, fully rebuilt heads and new accessories for reliability. I just didn't want to "wonder" about how someone else took care of their powerplant. Obviously, this added some significant $$ but cost savings was not my reasoning behind the swap.

F3F45848-93DD-4F9F-ADC6-631C45E0D0B1_zpsfps0hqhu.jpg

6A63B0F6-225F-404C-996E-D3110E38F1D4_zpsqic1vwwl.jpg

2593FBD4-E28F-4621-BF8B-ECEB2BBD0B95_zps2j4nutby.jpg

What electric fan sets are folks using ?

What electric fan sets are folks using ?

I have used F-body Fans on all my builds. For me they are easy to get, inexpensive, and seem to fit every radiator I have used. They also are very easy to integrate into the GM wiring harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom