8x Series V8 Swaps (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bonomonster,

The way I have it figured, there will be a set of chevy temp/pressure sensors tied into your wiring loom, that the PCM and the engine systems will use for their own purposes.

You need to find a way to add the Toyota Water temp, and Oil pressure senders and these will be wired to the dash, and only used by the dash guages.

Water Temp
in the LS motor, there is an unused port into the water jacket on the back side of the PS head, the Toyota water temp sensor can be inserted there.

Oil pressure
A little trickier. there is an aftermarket product that replaces the oil cooling system, blocks off those ports, with a single port for an assortment of OEM oil pressure sensors . I hate to give up the oil cooling system, and I am experimenting with taping pipe threads into the Oil Cooler Manifold. I'll post up something if it works.

Voltage should not be an issue (I still need to identify where to splice in a wire to the dash)

Fuel sender should be OEM sender to OEM dash

Speedo should be OEM sender (TCase) to OEM dash

Tach needs the DD black box.

Last edited:
Oil pressure, improved racing makes an assortment of products to help solve these issues in a pretty slick manner. Less elegant solutions exist. But going to an fittings will open up a lot of options if using a cooler. Lost of barb fitting solutions as well. http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=162102681663&alt=web

If not running an oil cooler, drill and tap the block off piece, it begs to have a sensor installed there...

Lazy,

Is there some kind of in-line solution for water temp?
My clearances are tight behind the PS head, and not sure that I can get something in that space. Thinking I might have to put a tube w/bung of some kind in the upper rad hose.

You can tap water pump?

The Gm computer does not need an oil pressure signal. Simply replace the oil pressure sender at the back of the intake manifold with the Toyota unit. You may have to use an adapter for threads, but that is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things.

has anyone kept the truck awd with an ls swap yet?? any idea on how much power it can hold?? Its not that i want to be cheap, its i really like the awd in winter lol

Going back to the Dakota Digital box for the tach... I am almost certain it can be accomplished without the converter box, through software like HPTuners or EFI Live. There is a menu where you can adjust tach output.

image.jpeg

I seems like most guys are sending their ECUs out to be flashed. My buddy has HPTuners and we will be doing all that ourselves. It will take a little trial and error, but if/when we get the tach output figured out I will post it up. Guys doing this swap in the future can pass that info on to whomever is flashing their ECU.... Hopefully eliminating me need for the Dakota box.

has anyone kept the truck awd with an ls swap yet?? any idea on how much power it can hold?? Its not that i want to be cheap, its i really like the awd in winter lol
I thought all swaps were keeping it AWD aside from those with part time conversions

What adapters are you guys using for transmission to transfer case?

Are you moving the location of the transfer case?

Is there enough room to leave the transfer case in the stock position and run a black box by Northwest Fab with either the 5.3/4L60 setup, or the 6.2/6L80 setup?

BlackBox GearBox - The Latest In Underdrive Technology

Ideally, I'd like a 6.2 with 6L80 to a black box, and then the 80 transfer case......[drool]

Think the majority that stick with auto trans are using adapter from Marks. Sourced through AdvanceAdapters. Although I've read of going straight to Marks for it.

This is what aktundra is getting together right now

Exactly, but I'd like to also have a doubler between the transmission and transfer case for the extra low crawling gears. The black box I mention above will also work as the adapter along with a doubler, but they unfortunately don't work with the 80 transfer case. I'd have to go with a split case.

The 6L80E uses a 1st gear ratio of 4.027 and for comparison the 4L80E uses a 2.48. I believe the factory trans in my 1995 was a 2.804. I think with 430 hp and 424 ft lb of torque with the 4.027 1st gear and the factory 411 gears things will be well balanced.

The 6L80E uses a 1st gear ratio of 4.027 and for comparison the 4L80E uses a 2.48. I believe the factory trans in my 1995 was a 2.804. I think with 430 hp and 424 ft lb of torque with the 4.027 1st gear and the factory 411 gears things will be well balanced.

it is! its also adds an awesome crawl ratio paired with a 3.11 gear in the 4lo

it is also quite a bit more expensive to run a 6l ove ra 4l, the factory tcm in the trans makes it a little easier, but you need a fancy standalone trans tcu cheater to make the trans think its in a factory environment, god forbid it fails on you......

I know myself I still opted for a 4l80e with a standalone trans controller as I will probably end up 6l80e in the long run, but thats after I get my rig done ;)

Exactly, but I'd like to also have a doubler between the transmission and transfer case for the extra low crawling gears. The black box I mention above will also work as the adapter along with a doubler, but they unfortunately don't work with the 80 transfer case. I'd have to go with a split case.

Have you thought of using a np203 Gearbox and Jerry's adapter to the split case you can set up triple stick cable shifters to operate all three as I've done in my build. And Jerry's adapter is only about 550.00 and you can pick up an np203 for 50.00 to 100.00 bucks a lot cheaper than the 1700.00 for the black box just my opinion. If you have any questions on how I set mine up just ask

it is! its also adds an awesome crawl ratio paired with a 3.11 gear in the 4lo

it is also quite a bit more expensive to run a 6l ove ra 4l, the factory tcm in the trans makes it a little easier, but you need a fancy standalone trans tcu cheater to make the trans think its in a factory environment, god forbid it fails on you......

I know myself I still opted for a 4l80e with a standalone trans controller as I will probably end up 6l80e in the long run, but thats after I get my rig done ;)

Price wise you could be right. Although I got a 6L80E out of a brand new truck with 2 miles on it for $1,000. I am not sure why you need to run a stand alone trans tcu cheater? Can you elaborate on this? I didn't need anything excepts for this harness here.........

6L80e Transmission Harness for GM Performance 19258267 LS3 Harness

Have you thought of using a np203 Gearbox and Jerry's adapter to the split case you can set up triple stick cable shifters to operate all three as I've done in my build. And Jerry's adapter is only about 550.00 and you can pick up an np203 for 50.00 to 100.00 bucks a lot cheaper than the 1700.00 for the black box just my opinion. If you have any questions on how I set mine up just ask

Doesn't the NP203 transfer case have a center rear output? How would that work with an 80?

Also, I'd like to stick with the stock transfer case, or one that lets me keep the AWD/4wd by being able to lock the case in 4H and 4L like I can now with the 80.

Price wise you could be right. Although I got a 6L80E out of a brand new truck with 2 miles on it for $1,000. I am not sure why you need to run a stand alone trans tcu cheater? Can you elaborate on this? I didn't need anything excepts for this harness here.........

6L80e Transmission Harness for GM Performance 19258267 LS3 Harness

if you make the ecms and tcm compatible to talk yes not an an ecu, that your just using the factory tuning, like you would be on a cheater, however the cheater allows you to run it standalone, and use an older ecm that allows drive by cable versus drive by wire ;)

another thing to factor in

2007-2009 T-43's will only accept OS's from those years, and the 2010-up T-43's will only take OS's from those years. If you try to program an OS outside the year range for the T-43 you have, it will come up with an error and abort programming... Been there. you will need a TCM from the same year as the ECM and use an OS for that year. Should be good then... Good luck!

Or run a cheater cable from TCI and call it a day..... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom