Builds A 1994 80 Series gets an LQ9 GM V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

35inchoverdrive

Forge Specialties
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
The “what” is an FZJ80 with an LQ9 & 4L65E. The “why” is that we’ve got a customer that does lots of traveling and towing with his supercharged 80. Hammering on a 1FZ with a blower that is hauling an 80 full of gear, followed by a trailer that is even more full of gear, up a Rocky Mountain pass was turning into a frequent occurrence. The customer was looking for a drivetrain that could tow with less stress and run regular old 87 octane. The 390hp version of the LQ9 was a good fit.

First, you start with an adapter from Advance Adapters:

WC0B3DuMVGFpe9QB3LpV7D76OVQ3lm_96UWIvkmhj9cxxlzt2sJ9ekTpXLC3qWuoArp-stqIyPEooNgDaJ65euKG832isM5kFVglHHwzp_-8etlBJ5siuPhOGuBllO8jbQ

Then, you add a transmission with an output shaft that is way too long:

u5FHyHqoP1jRdkJw3L28KxyKq0zCYuhAjAmor-wJ8TsBEsJt-WiAOT69sliQpkX-M9MawKM3Oqf_UIvRH6DKhvgdhXQM32vPIymYzKqs2jBfg7d9__yUnAhIYF4LTS5RnA

Next comes the not-so-cheap thrill of taking this:

zQfRXlwNViQtMegNr0Y4qpXqnXBmt6ihYbFkMGPbYPvgGsS8awhOOMCqVA4crfY0Jzt9UfSw7JLwKUQ-t6-Ledmo50eKcGeOoHimR0C9B8BaV0iBQDRI4Ys9vGYoS6zIfw

...and making this:

lnUX99X-ks4WuPhO6Zjeua5jYh8Uq5PppR2SAlF5JEiPMKJB_lsXqrSgbl6iggsqjKXPlAkmhYgAgj3klLGwaapuTQTyykuiXJrBLp8szabAU7ntJuzh86KS23JD-fSA6Q

On goes the adapter:

Lwx8Zcszjonm5j1m-BdOHaLE6Fx0wsiMG_-EEFOR3WaK0FLfYBtBiwifsgJsFdY0WcgzPSQ_Spx5l-8vu5hLTyNvPAy1f6LKd1oEWvI33DGmzdtC9Vj7t2Z1h2phqNvDDg

...a couple of shots of the assembled drivetrain:

Gnmuef-bjPl9FfDqb9M5XLH1q2LoNomvDEsjGlQid8HTKo67kWwr4gEoa0MgsQ8eBm55Sc5mYpUvq5unrH-Nq2mJqknjN23uBIAe3lTon8uMvkC8u2Y7S85BpQASHHYxbw

T41BtMZNWVfVp9W1ZBb6P9k93RolAb_tgf2HpVQUgVMBqCWQkBELsR2gE-LPCUS1XxMzWjcWnmbWCRKo-JrEVcyOJ-KTxrdTIvorn4PzEtxbMXIl8S48v_MsRLZmtNhQfg

The engine covers that say “Corvette” & “5.7L” will have to go, since this is a 6.0L going into a Land Cruiser. We’ve got some fancy plans for those.

nFcsAiHS5InS3tlKNG7bpCcvSntWsImCE7agC7wig9Ei9-QfC9QIjRbbWnnt7tTgH2oFgs8bwlDPh4u0Iw8--UAXE71wtX5GTlFIyztopG3ElvsR-qDHESvNIPzJGcFHgQ

The factory shift pattern is different than it will be with the 4L65E. Again, we have more fancy plans for that later.

Test fitting the drivetrain:

O7pOopbsaBPUBUMym1CqQjeLDfVGM7Eb_8-QVQgSidlU4VKS3DH6uP4mIiukB80Ju4VTyJVzIU07wMIX4bKScOXeSU2-yZqcsl15xQBL1kw0AbKgIv098Lb-DO_eTKK3Ew

4HIXC3a-EgpJzshl18mhw2nX-sZ7q5QOnlD6NsM1bMXAwP6yLiwvXq_YkGR-2FRcMI8p34ZbvU6Ojv4WBU1KttIFzMm-LiUDcWG23telXsxLRmB9jibazqJ4bZBW33GBsA

JcsAUJKY16nLzDZbUhh-RHvD6GEQTGCEqZa94LLKFSZEbFRtXo783A_XCU5nCF_0Ky_PkN4vDUT_8l2bYuUVCZ3MKqMuhzHxSUEyV1VI7IpCcHZ_fQaWfufAW4Yb7cu6LQ

Sweeeeet!:steer:

sub'd

Nice! Just to make sure you used thread lock on those four bolts that hold the tcase adapter to the trans adapter.....

And that's not an lq9 unless you swapped the truck accessory drive for the vette. Sure it's not an ls1/2?

It's a brand new crate LQ9 from Turnkey Engine Supply. You can order a variety of accessory layouts from them on several different LS engines.

Awesome! I love GM swap threads!

7th pic down gives you a good visual of the front drive shaft clearance issue. Looks like its right inline with the edge of the oil pan.

Awesome! I love GM swap threads!

7th pic down gives you a good visual of the front drive shaft clearance issue. Looks like its right inline with the edge of the oil pan.

We are going to need to rework the transmission pan a little. There will be some better pictures of the front driveline later on in the thread.

any reason to keep stock case? what are the tcase options for 4l65e that bolt directly on?

any reason to keep stock case? what are the tcase options for 4l65e that bolt directly on?

The stock t case is a very nice unit. Its plenty strong and fits the trucks needs. Most t cases that were bolted behind the 4l65e were driver drop. The adapter was well designed and it allows the stock driveshafts to be reused while putting the v8 in the right location.

subbed :)

OP - let me know if you need a copy of my wiring interface spreadsheet. When I did my swap in my '94 cruiser, I did a pinout of the IH1,IH2 and IH3 connectors to simplify the interfacing of the toyota to gm harness so that the factory gauges would work like stock. My goal in my swap was to make the driver not aware that anything was done until they actually drove the vehicle. All gauges (except the shift position lights) work like stock. i also have the EWD in pdf format as well and can share that too.

OP - let me know if you need a copy of my wiring interface spreadsheet. When I did my swap in my '94 cruiser, I did a pinout of the IH1,IH2 and IH3 connectors to simplify the interfacing of the toyota to gm harness so that the factory gauges would work like stock. My goal in my swap was to make the driver not aware that anything was done until they actually drove the vehicle. All gauges (except the shift position lights) work like stock. i also have the EWD in pdf format as well and can share that too.

Thanks for the offer! It is *very* important to us that this all look & work like it's supposed to be in there. We've just about got the wiring wrapped up, but if we hit any snags, I'll let you know.

Is your website down in your signature? Sweet ass build I love it! Nothing better than ditching that ol tird and putting some ponies in it :steer:

I would totally do that!
If I had unlimited time, money, and way, way more expertise than I do.
That is some impressive work my friend.

Is your website down in your signature? Sweet ass build I love it! Nothing better than ditching that ol tird and putting some ponies in it :steer:

Yep. Our very-unglamorous website is www.ForgeSpecialties.com . Our www.facebook.com/ForgeSpecialties is a little more up to speed. There's only two of us, me(Nathan) & Vince(the guy that does all the impressive stuff), so we've been so busy getting our new shop going that we haven't had time to build a website that reflects the quality of the wrenching that goes on in the shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom