3RZ / 2RZ Swap Notes (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you get your all aluminum radiator? Most the ones I've found are plastic
I bought it on Ebay in 2014. It is for a 2wd 3.0, I think they are a bit over 1 inch shorter than the 4x4 version. I don't see an all aluminum version out there at this time. Maybe you can contact one of the Ebay sellers and see if they can get you one. I did see this but hard to know and expensive

Last edited:
I bought it on Ebay in 2014. It is for a 2wd 3.0, I think they are a bit over 1 inch shorter than the 4x4 version. I don't see an all aluminum version out there at this time. Maybe you can contact one of the Ebay sellers and see if they can get you one. I did see this but hard to know and expensive
Thanks. I'll keep looking, seems to be alot of options for 4wd radiators, not as many 2wd options. Thank you for posting your build on here. Lots of good information here. I keep coming back here for part numbers, pictures, and other info. Getting ready to swap mine. Hopefully start in a couple months after I finish rebuilding the engine.

Could you explain more about how the STP module needs to be hooked up. My 3rz swapped 1980 truck doesn't have working taillights at the moment. I can get them to work from jumping the taillight wire from behind the dash (from the old pickup harness) to a constant power wire at the main steering column behind the steering wheel. I read your earlier post and do want to do anything permanent with it until I know how it should be hooked up.

the STP input signal to the ECU is a positive signal wire that also goes to the brake lights. It is activated from the brake light switch on the brake pedal. The ECU uses the STP (brake) signal, along with the VSS signal to determine proper fuel trim(decel) in a stopping while moving condition. The 3rz will run without it connected, just not as it was designed to. Sounds to me like your brake light switch could be bad or the switch is not getting power.

Thanks for the butt kick, Chris. Guess I better get back to the dinner table and work on that wiring train wreck.

wire.jpg

@liveoak , I did have one conundrum. All the online stuff says the 4th ECU connector is E5. My factory wiring manual has that connector labeled E8. Took a few minutes to think that one out. At least the pin positions and wires matched.

Another difference between your 2001 and my 1998. You have a IK2 connector. I have the connector, but my manual calls it I-13. That one really took me awhile to figure out.

Last edited:
To add some more AC information, you can use the top plate off of a 1989 22re AC compressor with at least a 1998 4Runner AC compressor for the 3RZ. It’s a direct bolt up and even the threads for both compressors are the same. In all the photos the 22re compressor is on the left. For the photo with the top plates, 3RZ is the top and 22re is the bottom.

I will update later this week if there are clearance problems with TOS 3RZ motor mounts.

IMG_2195.jpeg

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2202.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

Installed the TOS mounts, the top photo is with the 3RZ compressor (Denso part 447200-5450). Bottoms photo is the 22re compressor (Denso 147200-0202), all four bolts line up as well.

IMG_2246.jpeg
IMG_2247.jpeg

Ac compressor Top plate swap worked to fit a 03 donor to the factory lines in a 94 recipient as well. On a 3rz swap related side note- I know the large majority of swaps here are into a 4x4/solid axle rig, but mine is into a 2wd pickup. I scoured the net for a definitive answer as to if the rear sump pan swap along with either the TOS or chillkat mounts would clear suspension/steering components into my 2 wheel drive platform to no avail. I decided to dive in and see what happened. Bought a rear sump oil pan kit and chillkat mounts from lc engineering and long story short the pan will hit both the lower control arm brace/tie bar and the steering center link. My solution was a 5/16" spacer plate between the frame engine perch and the engine mount on both sides. This creates between 3/16"-3/8" of clearance between the steering center link and the oil pan through range of motion on the steering. The control arm brace still won't clear and will require a custom built/modified unit- luckily it's a simple piece. There is still a couple inches hood clearance and acceptable access to bellhousing bolts. Hopefully this info proves useful to someone else considering this swap in the future.

KIMG2462.JPG

KIMG2469.JPG

Another difference between your 2001 and my 1998. You have a IK2 connector. I have the connector, but my manual calls it II3 (eye-eye-3). That one really took me awhile to figure out.
Pappy, which section is showing this plug? I cannot find it in the wiring diagrams I found online.

Let me get back to you. I'm currently in the weeds. I'll scan the EWD page when I get home.

Let me get back to you. I'm currently in the weeds. I'll scan the EWD page when I get home.
Thank you. I greatly appreciate it.

Since you brought up the header type manifold on the late 3RZ. The cast manifold used in the pre-2000 trucks was prone to cracking. In 2000 Toyota went to a header style that looks just like the Doug Thorley, but is significantly less money. Mine have been ceramic coated.

Exhaust Manifold, 17141-75080
Exhaust Heat Shield, 17167-75100

View attachment 2532873

I want to make an update to the headers and exhaust topic.
Order the 17141-75080 header being advised that it seems QA has taken a serious drop AT THE TIME OF THIS POST. In the future it may get better, but there are some rough ones floating around.
These can be seen in the following 3 posts - links so the quotes don't clutter too much

Exhaust system pics in the quote below using LCE 3RZ swap headers on a 3rd gen pick up. This unit passed CA BAR smog referee inspection.

Some notes for success:
Ref wants to see catalyic convereter in the original spot. Their standard is the inlet flange being +/-3" of OEM distance on the donor vehicle.
O2 sensors must be in original location (distance) from cat flanges AND must have correct angle orientation as donor vehicle.
After the post cat O2 sensor, you can run it how you like.

edit to add: When speaking with the ref on the phone I asked him how he determines the location of the cat and the distance of the O2 sensors. He said they look at the exhaust diagram from the manufacturer and eye ball the cat locations/distances from the OEM header flange location. They then "eyeball" the +/- 3" figure for the O2 sensors. He was specific that clocking orientation of the O2 sensor does need to be roughly same as OEM.

Soooo with that side track SNAFU behind us we can move onto positives. I am hitting up LCE to get the swap header

Last weekend I met a guy locally who had done the swap. He had used the LCE header. I told him id bring a case of his favorite beer if he let me come pick his brain on the swap and take some pics.

I also ordered a cat from Rockauto. My donor had its stolen…
View attachment 3385878

View attachment 3385879

View attachment 3385880

View attachment 3385881

View attachment 3385882

Last edited:
Bring this back to the top, I see what the 22RE ECU connector was used in the wiring diagram. Is this something that’s applicable for the early EFI trucks? And does it connect to the dash harness? I’m just a bit confused by it.

As well, thank you @pappy for the mentioned of the E8 and II3. My 1998 manual had it labeled the same way.

that one ecu plug is part of the body harness. typically provides battery and turn ons etc
Interesting. On the 1989 harness I have all 3 ECU plugs are on the engine harness but it does have two body connector plugs and one of the connectors (C1 in the 1989 manual) has the STP and VSS wire going to it. That would explain my confusion. I appreciate it Gnob!

Users who are viewing this thread

• ferg
Back
Top Bottom