3RZ / 2RZ Swap Notes (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the pics, one last question how far behind the second cat is the second O2 sensor, I think I see it but would you mind pointing it out

I can take measurements when I get it out of the container in a couple of days

20240320_185029.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 3.4 airbox from a 99 4runner, easy fit in the early pickup, drilled a 3" hole in the inner fender. The early 95-97 4Runners (and maybe T100) used a larger Mass airflow sensor that is like $600 (last time I checked), and the later MAF is something like $70 from Toyota. The photos Mudder posted is showing the hole for the later (smaller) MAF which is what you want. I rewired the MAS for the 2.7 ECU.
That's great info. What exactly do you have to do to "rewire the MAS for the 2.7"?

Here is my '98 Tacoma airbox mod to fit under the hood. I am pretty sure the ref is going to fail this because the little extension I had to put between the MAF and the intake tubing (gap can be seen in last pic).

edit to add:
The above method is a cheap and easy way if you do not have smog rules to adhere to.

For a CA Legal solution check this post in my build thread.

Last edited:
Would you mind expanding more on the EVAP monitor please.
OBD2 on these trucks has 8 monitors that after clearing CELs or pulling the battery terminal have to go through a certain process to "complete". The ECU is basically looking for certain sensory data to meet certain specs to determine if no check engine light codes are pending or current. If you get a OBD2 reader you can view the status of the monitors - they will show as complete or incomplete. Evap monitor can take very long to clear if you just casually drive and hope it clears.

For a regular smog check, given certain year vehicles (96-2000 I believe) you can have one incomplete monitor. Someone can look that up if they want to fact check. I am fairly certain the ref wants all monitors complete for initial certification, however.

I recently found this post that should do the trick to get the monitor to complete. I'll give it a shot this weekend, although I don't have AC hooked up and am a manual truck.

1711027853580.png

Exhaust system pics in the quote below using LCE 3RZ swap headers on a 3rd gen pick up. This unit passed CA BAR smog referee inspection.

Some notes for success:
Ref wants to see catalyic convereter in the original spot. Their standard is the inlet flange being +/-3" of OEM distance on the donor vehicle.
O2 sensors must be in original location (distance) from cat flanges AND must have correct angle orientation as donor vehicle.
After the post cat O2 sensor, you can run it how you like.

edit to add: When speaking with the ref on the phone I asked him how he determines the location of the cat and the distance of the O2 sensors. He said they look at the exhaust diagram from the manufacturer and eye ball the cat locations/distances from the OEM header flange location. They then "eyeball" the +/- 3" figure for the O2 sensors. He was specific that clocking orientation of the O2 sensor does need to be roughly same as OEM.

Thanks for the pics, one last question how far behind the second cat is the second O2 sensor, I think I see it but would you mind pointing it out

I editted my original Ref notes post. See the edit -

"edit to add: When speaking with the ref on the phone I asked him how he determines the location of the cat and the distance of the O2 sensors. He said they look at the exhaust diagram from the manufacturer and eye ball the cat locations/distances from the OEM header flange location. They then "eyeball" the +/- 3" figure for the O2 sensors. He was specific that clocking orientation of the O2 sensor does need to be roughly same as OEM."

I editted my original Ref notes post. See the edit -

"edit to add: When speaking with the ref on the phone I asked him how he determines the location of the cat and the distance of the O2 sensors. He said they look at the exhaust diagram from the manufacturer and eye ball the cat locations/distances from the OEM header flange location. They then "eyeball" the +/- 3" figure for the O2 sensors. He was specific that clocking orientation of the O2 sensor does need to be roughly same as OEM."
Thanks for that info, I have the exhaust as far as the 2 cats, but not the part with the second O2 sensor, it looks like it is clocked about 30 deg to the right could you confirm, does it matter if is is clocked left or right, is see on Liveoak's that it is clocked to the left.

Just an observation. Every ref is different. I think the most important thing to consider is how clean of a swap you do. The more factory/professional/clean your installation is, the more respect you will get, therefore the less picky he/she will be.

That's great info. What exactly do you have to do to "rewire the MAS for the 2.7"?
I misspoke - I had rewired my 97 4Runner MAS plug when I modified it for the later airbox, and was incorrectly thinking of that when I posted. For the 83 truck, using the later 98+ airbox allowed me to use the actual MAS for the 1999 2.7, no rewiring needed for that plug.
the two styles of sensors pin differently is all.
Accurate.

@pappy,

I believe this is the one he is talking about. I ordered it from RockAuto. It was Dorman 258-504

For those that have done the late 3.4 airbox, how did you hook it up to the throttlebody. When I looked at this setup the MAF was pointing the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Here is my '98 Tacoma airbox mod to fit under the hood. I am pretty sure the ref is going to fail this because the little extension I had to put between the MAF and the intake tubing (gap can be seen in last pic).

I have a 3RZ airbox. I just cut it down like you showed, but it didn't fit over the battery tray. Did you move the fuse block?

For those that have done the late 3.0 airbox, how did you hook it up to the throttlebody. Whey I looked at this setup the MAF was pointing the wrong direction.
I haven’t tried mounting mine yet. If I get the engine in this weekend I’ll mess around with it and post some photos

For those that have done the late 3.0 airbox, how did you hook it up to the throttlebody. Whey I looked at this setup the MAF was pointing the wrong direction.
I got a cheap 3.4 air box from Amazon, cut the MAF end off and bolted on my 3RZ MAF, took two attempts at mounting as the first time the long arm of the air box on the top of the mount stopped the hood from closing, scuze the mess, still working on the wiring.

PXL_20240326_170621480.jpg

Last edited:
I used a three row aluminum radiator for a 2wd 3.0 pickup (dpi-1190), a 2wd 2RZ fan shroud modified to fit, and kept the 3RZ fan.
I purchased the radiator and the 2RZ shroud, would you have more pictures or info on the modifications you made to the fan shroud.

I purchased the radiator and the 2RZ shroud, would you have more pictures or info on the modifications you made to the fan shroud.
I'm out at Easter Jeep Safari this week But when I get home I'll see what pictures I have and try to take some new ones

I have a 3RZ airbox. I just cut it down like you showed, but it didn't fit over the battery tray. Did you move the fuse block?
I did not move the fuse block. The airbox is not pressed up against the fender wall, but it slightly offset. I can get better pictures later if you'd like, but I have this for now.

3RZ.jpg

I got a cheap 3.4 air box from Amazon, cut the MAF end off and bolted on my 3RZ MAF, took two attempts at mounting as the first time the long arm of the air box on the top of the mount stopped the hood from closing, scuze the mess, still working on the wiring.

Just a circle back. I tried the 3RZ air box every which way, and couldn't make it work. I bought the Dorman air box (258-504) for the 1999-2004 V6 Tacoma, and like @ne8st8 I had to remove the MAF bit and bolt on the 3RZ MAF assembly. Note this is a different air box used in the 4Runners.

Just a circle back. I tried the 3RZ air box every which way, and couldn't make it work. I bought the Dorman air box (258-504) for the 1999-2004 V6 Tacoma, and like @ne8st8 I had to remove the MAF bit and bolt on the 3RZ MAF assembly. Note this is a different air box used in the 4Runners.
Also makes air filter changes easier and leaves the windshild bottle in place.

I got my new engine running this morning and everything looks good except the tach is not working.
I have a 1985 pickup that had a 22R engine in it and I have replaced it with a 2003 3RZ and used the ORS stand alone harness, also put in the 10K resistor.
I noticed from a Combination Meter and Gauge diagram, posted by @liveoak, that there is a wire on connector "A" number 6, that should go to the ignition coil from the tach but now it goes nowhere, do I need to connect this to something. Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom