2018 LC 200 turbo or supercharger? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the response, I feared it was the factory filter, known down here to pass dust on the diesel versions. K&N are not ideal for true off-road scenarios IMHO.
Sounds like another reason for me to follow up the new Donaldson setup (advertised for the diesels) to check compatibility with the URJ. Donaldson air cleaner for Diesel - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/donaldson-air-cleaner-for-diesel.1299380/

I believe the dusting box is only on diesel engines right? There are some nice metal airbox upgrades available down there too. Not sure if theres anything to worry about here, but I may run some oil with my finger around the seal on a new filter. Never seen any evidence of dust.

I believe the dusting box is only on diesel engines right? There are some nice metal airbox upgrades available down there too. Not sure if theres anything to worry about here, but I may run some oil with my finger around the seal on a new filter. Never seen any evidence of dust.
Some US rigs definitely let dust by even with an OEM filter. Mine has done this in the past. I now put filter grease on the gasket and it has stopped the issue.

Some US rigs definitely let dust by even with an OEM filter. Mine has done this in the past. I now put filter grease on the gasket and it has stopped the issue.

I just use motor oil like a pleb and run my finger round the seal, do they make a grease for specifically for this?

@bloc @AnyMal Are you guys saying just tossing the OEM filters in there (on a clean gasket/mating surface) aren't enough and I should grease them too? TIA

@bloc @AnyMal Are you guys saying just tossing the OEM filters in there (on a clean gasket/mating surface) aren't enough and I should grease them too? TIA
I’d look at the inside of your upper air filter housing closely. If you see evidence of fine dust stuck to the inside you should grease that filter lip, if not (by now) you are in the clear.

Yes, its just a trick to get a better seal around the gasket with the plastic mating surfaces potentially not being fully airtight.
I've done it just out of precaution for the couple filters Ive put in thus far. Really not sure what the cause is, other than some random QC issue.
The air boxes notorious for dusting are the diesel variants overseas, from what I've gathered.
But either way I don't play in dust so I cant be too sure, and its a simple 3 second insurance.
I'll buy the real grease next time.

@bloc @AnyMal Good to know. Thanks. I have that secondary air filter screen thing too (which sits proximal to the replaceable element). Anyone know the part number of that thing? I'd like to add it to the list of consumables, but can't find it online.

@bloc @AnyMal Good to know. Thanks. I have that secondary air filter screen thing too (which sits proximal to the replaceable element). Anyone know the part number of that thing? I'd like to add it to the list of consumables, but can't find it online.

When I researched that, and looked at it, it seems mated to the top box and is one part. There were actually several updated part numbers for that piece and the element inside changed if I recall.

When I researched that, and looked at it, it seems mated to the top box and is one part. There were actually several updated part numbers for that piece and the element inside changed if I recall.
any chance you remember the part numbers? (ahem....asking for a friend)

EDIT: And what side of the air filter gasket do you put the grease on? The side that faces the dirty side is my best guess.

Last edited:
any chance you remember the part numbers? (ahem....asking for a friend)
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 9.27.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 9.28.52 AM.png

No idea which I have, but this is for the LC ^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom