2018 200 series vs GX550 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not aware of these comparisons are possible given none of the 550s / LC250s have been available. But It wouldn’t make sense for Toyota to “upfit” the light duty platform with heavy duty 300 series stuff. Why would they do that? The whole point was a lower price point.

My internet armchair opinion is that delta you see is due to the LX 600 getting lighter due to more aluminum rather than unfitting the 550 with heavier duty components. Makes no financial sense for Toyota. They sell a zillion light duty 4Runners a year. No economic reason to make them tougher.
I’m not saying they upfit anything but as the vehicles share more and more components maybe the difference between light and heavy duty narrows.

I acknowledge that but it seems the difference between the 550 and 600 is not nearly as significant if weight is a primary indicator.

I agree that the weight and capacities between the two is likely closer in this generation.

More beef showing up as weight is just one of the solutions to heavier and higher duty cycles. As others pointed out, higher end materials, design, and processes plays a role that doesn't show up in weight. For those that really use the truck in HD fashion and build to higher extremes like fitting 37s, the 300-series will stand out.

To your point, most owners don't push their rigs to extremes. So the real functional difference between the two models may only come down to bragging rights?

In the current GX460 generation, limitations in structure and capacities have them realistically building to 34s max, before the spindle, steering rack, and axles become weak points. We've seen the 200-series fitted with 37s and still put up with the abuse of a full blown Baja 1000. There will still be a difference in the newest generation.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of the new GX, best looking and capable Lexus ever... HOWEVER much like the 300 series, these new vehicles are smaller inside. Comparing to the 200, especially in the rear seat (2nd row) space is much more limited. Interestingly enough, one element that the numbers don't show is the fact that the second row of the 200 slides, the spec numbers use the forward position...and now that Lexus has posted specs for the GX550, we can make these comparisons... Overall 200 Wins, interestingly, the 550 beats the 600, but mostly due to leg and head room... This is very confusing
As for off-road capabilities, the GX550 , especially Overtrail, is the best you can get from Toyota/Lexus and much better than the new 250 LC.
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 4.45.31 PM.png

Agree with you, I am keeping my 200 series in all its old tech glory...

Last edited:
Agree with you, I am keeping my 200 series in all its old tech glory... 13-15 MPG & built like a brick house with an old tech V-8 that essentially achieves the same mileage as the new doubly complex EPA approved modern mousetrap power plant of wizbang wires and turbos...

I have a 2023 Sienna AWD and it now has 12,000+ miles on it since July 2023. It has averaged 35.4 MPG with Zero "0" issues other than trim work issues.

However, the 2023 is very lightly built with wobbly rear captain chairs, no memory seats, no tilt down rear view mirrors, no heated steering wheel, forced factory options of an egregiously obnoxious magnitude that is indefensible. It would not qualify as a 2019 Toyota, The fit & finish is garbage for a $50,000.00 minivan.

Toyota currently has the upper hand on vehicle supply at the present time and are exploiting it to their maximum advantage to the point of damaging their name as an ethical company with "criminal stealerships" as their public contact with the retail purchasing consumer.

Markets change rapidly.... 2024 & 2025 will be here soon enough...

Toyota can/will choke on their over priced current gen Tundras and the new obscenely over priced 2024 Tacoma....

May your sales lots overflow with thy bounty MIke Swears and Toyota marketing (Tooth Paste & Cola Vendors)....

Subaru and Mazda are rapidly becoming the New Toyota....

The private jets of your Stealership owner's fly to the Bahamas every weekend propelled by criminal income derived from Toyota's HATED FORCED maintenance " GET TO YOUR DEALERSHIP IMMEDIATELY" lights to frighten the sucker/peasants who support you and buy your products & services.

You should NOT treat your loyal customers as debris or it shall become of thee...

Hearings for thee in Washington D,C, ???

Peace.
This reads like a comment on Fox News articles

:popcorn: ... what me worry?

Last edited:
New browser and poster. Trying to decide on a used LC200, years 2018-2020, vs getting/waiting on a GX 550.
I do like the 550 Overtrail, but I wish it had 3 rows of seats, and I am not sure about the engine yet.
The appeal of the 200 LC is the reputation for reliability, the consistency, the ability to last 200,000 plus miles.
The drawbacks are the low gas mileage, the small third row,
the potential radiator issues, etc, etc. And the high price, which would almost be the same as the new GX Premium.
Any thoughts, from owners, who can share some insight?
Is anyone thinking about making the switch to the GX550, and if so, why?
And if not, please share why not?
I am leaning towards finding a lower mileage 2017 or 2018 model 200, but boy, are they hard to find, unless it is in black!
I am looking to get another vehicle to last for 20 years, but drive daily, in place of my 4runner.
Thanks to any and all responses!
Mark
2016 4Runner Trail Premium, daily driver, reliable
2016 Charger Hellcat, 750 miles, not DD
2001 Ram 1500 4wd, beater truck, but still loved
2000 Dodge Viper, my baby, 12,000 miles, ordered from factory, picked up at assembly plant
I just went through a similar search, but it was between a 2018-21 LC, a 2018-21 LX570, and 2024 LX600. The GX550 is delayed and won't start showing up in showrooms until April (per my Lexus dealer), and it's not clear when you will be able to get one given the wait lists, so I didn't even consider that. Ultimately I pulled the trigger on a well maintained 2018 LC in black (as you noted, that seemed to be one of the most prevalent colors available). My thinking with the 200 is the known reliability and the fact it is one of the last years with the storied V8 engine. Planning to upgrade to Apple Carplay, but otherwise plan no Mods. It is now my daily driver and I only put on about 7500 miles/yr on average, so should it should have a lot of life left. If they ever bring the 300 Series back to the US I will probably upgrade and keep this as our third car (eventually would be my son's car). Happy hunting.

I have been debating several options

Option 1- Keep the 200 and BMW Z4
Option 2 - Keep the 200 and replace Z4 with 2024 Tacoma Offroad
Option 3 Replace the 200 with the GX550 and keep the Z4

Not evaluating those here, BUT in most places I see comments that the reason to upgrade from the 200 to GX550 is the outdated Infotainment system. That is an easy mod documented in the FAQ, even in an older 2014 cruiser
20220116_104555.jpg
IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Not evaluating those here, BUT in most places I see comments that the reason to upgrade from the 200 to GX550 is the outdated Infotainment system. That is an easy mod documented in the FAQ, even in an older 2014 cruiser
View attachment 3583357View attachment 3583358
View attachment 3583359

Agreed. The infotainment isn't a dealbreaker on the 200-series for me as there's several workaround including what you posted. I find that I like to use phone directly when it's placed well, high and next to the steering wheel. Even as I have an Tesla style screen too. Everything is where I expect it to be and the interface is something I use all day long. What I need from the infotainment is BT connectivity to channel audio.

It's a slippery slope to replace a car on account of just the infotainment. These things change so fast that a new car could be outdated in short order. It's hard to foresee but carplay/android auto, could see changes that'll break in later years.

Interestingly I'm similarly considering options on how to move forward with my two cars, LX570 and 996 Turbo. I see the GX550 as a downgrade next to my LX. LX600 is a lateral move that doesn't necessarily improve off-road chops. Where I am is to replace the 911 with a Cybertruck that better balances the LX570s weaknesses (speed and efficiency) and expands on the utility of the 911 that is a self indulgence that my wife and daughter could care less about, and only my son enjoys with me. Back to infotainment, the Tesla implementation is the only UI that I rather use than my phone.

Agreed. The infotainment isn't a dealbreaker on the 200-series for me as there's several workaround including what you posted. I find that I like to use phone directly when it's placed well, high and next to the steering wheel. Even as I have an Tesla style screen too. Everything is where I expect it to be and the interface is something I use all day long. What I need from the infotainment is BT connectivity to channel audio.

It's a slippery slope to replace a car on account of just the infotainment. These things change so fast that a new car could be outdated in short order. It's hard to foresee but carplay/android auto, could see changes that'll break in later years.

Interestingly I'm similarly considering options on how to move forward with my two cars, LX570 and 996 Turbo. I see the GX550 as a downgrade next to my LX. LX600 is a lateral move that doesn't necessarily improve off-road chops. Where I am is to replace the 911 with a Cybertruck that better balances the LX570s weaknesses (speed and efficiency) and expands on the utility of the 911 that is a self indulgence that my wife and daughter could care less about, and only my son enjoys with me. Back to infotainment, the Tesla implementation is the only UI that I rather use than my phone.
Selling the 911, the mother of all sports car, sigh 😔

Selling the 911, the mother of all sports car, sigh 😔

It's bordering on sacrilege and I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. There won't be another period correct analogue manual 700hp coilovered like it for me.

I originally was going to get rid of the 200-series for the CT. But the CT won't do what the 200-series does for me and the family on our off-road and towing adventures. The 200-series is that good and I'm not sure there is another single anything including the LX600 or GX550 that could do what it does so well.

What I should do is just keep the 911 and put it aside. Problem is that CA smog is becoming an issue. Even though it's smogged in its state of tune for almost a decade now, it has a tune for 1000cc injectors that I can't just flash the OEM tune back to pass smog. Yes, it's a self induced problem but I like my cars turned up to 11. CA is sniffing the software checksum on ECUs and there's no way to get around that short of getting rid of the big injectors that are there for the big turbos.

It's bordering on sacrilege and I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. There won't be another period correct analogue manual 700hp coilovered like it for me.

I originally was going to get rid of the 200-series for the CT. But the CT won't do what the 200-series does for me and the family on our off-road and towing adventures. The 200-series is that good and I'm not sure there is another single anything including the LX600 or GX550 that could do what it does so well.

What I should do is just keep the 911 and put it aside. Problem is that CA smog is becoming an issue. Even though it's smogged in its state of tune for almost a decade now, it has a tune for 1000cc injectors that I can't just flash the OEM tune back to pass smog. Yes, it's a self induced problem but I like my cars turned up to 11. CA is sniffing the software checksum on ECUs and there's no way to get around that short of getting rid of the big injectors that are there for the big turbos.
Agree the 200 in any version LX or LC pre or post 2016 is awesome and ahead of the new kids on the block, or at least no reason to make any rapid changes.

I guess you could wait getting a cybertruck until nuclear fusion is reality, at which point it actually makes sense IMO.

Good luck “amputating” the 911…

Last edited:

How much you selling it for?

How much you selling it for?

Haven't looked into the market yet but hoping for reasonable market value. PM if you're interested and I can provide more info.

I agree that the weight and capacities between the two is likely closer in this generation.

More beef showing up as weight is just one of the solutions to heavier and higher duty cycles. As others pointed out, higher end materials, design, and processes plays a role that doesn't show up in weight. For those that really use the truck in HD fashion and build to higher extremes like fitting 37s, the 300-series will stand out.

To your point, most owners don't push their rigs to extremes. So the real functional difference between the two models may only come down to bragging rights?

In the current GX460 generation, limitations in structure and capacities have them realistically building to 34s max, before the spindle, steering rack, and axles become weak points. We've seen the 200-series fitted with 37s and still put up with the abuse of a full blown Baja 1000. There will still be a difference in the newest generation.
I very much like the fact my 200 is overbuild when I drive over poor road surfaces (secondary roads in TX often in poor state) or tow our travel trailer.

View attachment 3583357View attachment 3583358
View attachment 3583359
I agree the infotainment system is not a good reason by itself to change vehicles. I just put my iPad Pro 11 over the factory nav area (nice fit) held on with the magnetic case, and I’m good to go with any uses I need. And bonus, I’m super familiar with the iPad so no learning curve.
1710633022173.png

Last edited:

Switch your registration to South Dakota since it’s ever so slightly less conspicuous than Montana. Solved.

Seems like a lot of money to waste on a new car just for a screen……

I have been looking at getting a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road as my daily driver and keep the 200 for off road adventures and towing my Karavan. I likely will wheel it locally now and then just to see :) Although I will likely use the 200 for when adults are sitting in the back as there is more room.

The Tacoma is now very similar to the LC 250. Same engine and drive train for Hybrid Models and even better departure angles and ground clearance. Longer wheel base though. It is built in Mexico vs the LC being built in Japan.

I find the similarities a very smart and cost effective move by Toyota. It also benefits the consumer with a wider application of the components in your vehicle making them more robust, or faster learning curve to improve them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom