2018 200 series vs GX550 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It also benefits the consumer with a wider application of the components in your vehicle making them more robust
Hmmm not according to recent front diff implosion by TFL on YouTube!

but why? What is the point? You lost rear view camera. Lost audio display. Lost AC display.

I assume that your iPad has cellular? Because if it does not, then that makes it even more useless.

I assume that you use it for navigation? Wouldn’t an iPhone Pro Max be far more useful and you would still be able to keep your center display!

Hmmm not according to recent front diff implosion by TFL on YouTube!
That is a random comment without context nor accurate. The diff didn't implode. It was a problem with a sensor. Things happen and that early test helps the engineers fix in process builds and future build Tacoma's, LC250's and GX550s. which is exactly my point

Here are some pics I took of a promo vehicle in Vegas for Super Bowl. Looks good! I had the LX600 and swapped back out to a 21 LC HE and will never go back…

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_2049.jpeg

but why? What is the point? You lost rear view camera. Lost audio display. Lost AC display.

I assume that your iPad has cellular? Because if it does not, then that makes it even more useless.

I assume that you use it for navigation? Wouldn’t an iPhone Pro Max be far more useful and you would still be able to keep your center display!
I haven't lost any of that with my setup. His was just an example

That is a random comment without context nor accurate. The diff didn't implode. It was a problem with a sensor. Things happen and that early test helps the engineers fix in process builds and future build Tacoma's, LC250's and GX550s. which is exactly my point
I thought the ADD mechanism failed.

But I dont think the GX would have the ADD anyways.

I thought the ADD mechanism failed.

But I dont think the GX would have the ADD anyways.
You are correct, I should not have said sensor.
According to Sheldon, there is a part within the automatic disconnecting differential system that is designed to fail in a controlled way under extreme conditions. More specifically, in such a way that it does not destroy the rest of the driveline.

The GX has a different drive train with the larger engine.

I stated my perspective that the design similarities between the Tacoma and 250 was a smart business decision. No one has to share it. Not sure if the 250 uses the same or similar front diff, but if it does, it will have benefited from this. Some parts for sure are thee same between the Tacoma and LC250 like the Hybrid engine and tranny, some are not. I do not know were the ADD falls in that separation.

You are correct, I should not have said sensor.
According to Sheldon, there is a part within the automatic disconnecting differential system that is designed to fail in a controlled way under extreme conditions. More specifically, in such a way that it does not destroy the rest of the driveline.

The GX has a different drive train with the larger engine.

I stated my perspective that the design similarities between the Tacoma and 250 was a smart business decision. No one has to share it. Not sure if the 250 uses the same or similar front diff, but if it does, it will have benefited from this. Some parts for sure are thee same between the Tacoma and LC250 like the Hybrid engine and tranny, some are not. I do not know were the ADD falls in that separation.
Yeah it was the ADD. Failed in a controlled way under extreme condition....did you even watch the video where it failed? That was no extreme anything.

Sure it was fixed...of course it was fixed! It was owned by a popular YouTuber! Toyota is not dumb!

The question is........if this Taco was owned by a regular Joe, then would Toyota fix it so fast? Heck, would Toyota fix it at all since this happened while off-road, which we all know Toyota warranty does not cover!

So yeah, from my perspective, this failure should not have happened over such mild terrain!! Next, I doubt Toyota would be so kind as to fix this issue if this happened to one of us, maybe not the Mods, but us regular folks!

I haven't lost any of that with my setup. His was just an example
Who are you talking to? I was addressing him, not you.

Yeah it was the ADD. Failed in a controlled way under extreme condition....did you even watch the video where it failed? That was no extreme anything.

Sure it was fixed...of course it was fixed! It was owned by a popular YouTuber! Toyota is not dumb!

The question is........if this Taco was owned by a regular Joe, then would Toyota fix it so fast? Heck, would Toyota fix it at all since this happened while off-road, which we all know Toyota warranty does not cover!

So yeah, from my perspective, this failure should not have happened over such mild terrain!! Next, I doubt Toyota would be so kind as to fix this issue if this happened to one of us, maybe not the Mods, but us regular folks!
I watched the video multiple times and no it shouldn't have happened in those conditions and no a normal Joe (or Mod) wouldn't have gotten the same support

This doesn't change anything about Consumers benefitting from multiple uses of the same components. You can bet Toyota is digging into the diff (as they took it) to figure out what was wrong and will fix it going forward everywhere it is used.

I was discussing a Business strategy and long term impacts on consumers. You angled in on an early failure that in my view actually supports what I am saying. Short term failure sucks would really suck happening to the average joe, but long term wider field to detect these failures early and incorporate repairs.

I see your perspective on the failure showing issues and shouldn't have happened. I understand it. I also understand as an engineer that there is a bathtub curve to failures especially new designs that there are several failures up front, followed by long reliability followed by age related failures. SpaceX is a great example of that. Doesn't make it any easier for the average Joe to accept a failure on their vehicle, nor should they. They should be mad as hell and work to get it corrected quickly.

I watched the video multiple times and no it shouldn't have happened in those conditions and no a normal Joe (or Mod) wouldn't have gotten the same support

This doesn't change anything about Consumers benefitting from multiple uses of the same components. You can bet Toyota is digging into the diff (as they took it) to figure out what was wrong and will fix it going forward everywhere it is used.

I was discussing a Business strategy and long term impacts on consumers. You angled in on an early failure that in my view actually supports what I am saying. Short term failure sucks would really suck happening to the average joe, but long term wider field to detect these failures early and incorporate repairs.

I see your perspective on the failure showing issues and shouldn't have happened. I understand it. I also understand as an engineer that there is a bathtub curve to failures especially new designs that there are several failures up front, followed by long reliability followed by age related failures. SpaceX is a great example of that. Doesn't make it any easier for the average Joe to accept a failure on their vehicle, nor should they. They should be mad as hell and work to get it corrected quickly.
Yeah I see your engineering point. Difference is that SpaceX clearly says that these are test rockets and clearly says that they expect failure from these test “mules”. Learning lessons if you will.

That Tacoma failure happened on a full production (not test mule) vehicle and should have been caught very early in development!

And I am angry that Toyota states that this ADD failure was “planned” to avoid further damage. Great……. Except that ADD failure would have stranded the driver in the middle of nowhere!!! Think about that. TFL only got off that mountain bc they had another vehicle to tow it down. If that Tacoma was alone like some of us when we off-road, it would have been stranded far away from main road in the middle of winter…probably not in cell coverage. From that perspective, what is the difference between ADD failure and something more severe that ADD was supposed to prevent???

IMHO, Toyota rep fooled everyone with that marketing BS about it being a “good thing” that ADD failed. Huh?!?!!! It stranded the driver in the middle of nowhere! It only got home via another vehicle towing it down.

I sometimes off-road with my family alone to get to a site or scenic place. If this happened to me, my family would be stranded and to add to insult, Toyota likely would deny repairs because I went off-road. (This is why I am glad that Apple iPhones have satellite communication.)

Given how much Toyota was touting the off-road capability of the platform, you would assume that this weakness in ADD would have been seen early in off-road testing. It almost seems like Toyota did not really test these vehicles like they do in the past. They kinda just threw parts together from the parts bin and call it a day. You know like what Ford/Chevy do.

Kinda like the new Tundra waste gate issue. Come on Toyota!

If I want something to strand me in a precarious situation, then I rather buy a Ford! At least, I would be stranded in a vehicle with Apple CarPlay! I get to listen to my favorite tunes while I freeze to death!

I understand teething issues (rattles, misaligned panels, software glitches, radiators crack from 3rd party, parts manufacturing defect in a batch, etc). But these are major issues in areas where you are literally advertising the hell out of them (off road and 3.4 turbo power).

Last edited:
Weight reduction generally equates to strength reduction. Yes there are some unique materials/composites out there; however, the push for efficiency has had an impact on durability.

The 200 series was developed when there were few if any thoughts about weight reduction. There is hardly any plastic, on anything, underneath a 200. Everything from the skid plates to metallic dust/debris shields over electronics and lines. Quality, Durability, and Reliability were the driving forces behind vehicles of that era. Afraid that has gone by the way side.

Switch your registration to South Dakota since it’s ever so slightly less conspicuous than Montana. Solved.

Definitely something I've considered. My neighbor registered his toy in Montana and got a ticket within a month which makes me think that CA are sticklers for enforcing this. Agree it would be less conspicuous but would it be enough?

I can’t help but think we’re seeing the end of an era with Toyota. The era of overbuilt, extremely long lived, inefficient, 4wd SUVs and trucks feels like it’s over to me. The new generation of Tundra, Sequoia, LX, and GX seem more tuned toward on-pavement comfort with the occasional gravel road. The new Tundra is longer, has less ground clearance with less articulation, is smaller inside, has worse visibility, has a larger turn radius, and has compromises to the CV axles and frame that come with sharing a platform with various other vehicles. Tinkerer’s Adventure on YouTube has a great video about some of the odd choices Toyota made with the new Tundra. The new Sequoia doesn’t know if it wants to be a Land Cruiser (it’s not much bigger but is missing fulltime 4wd and KDSS or AHD) or a Tahoe (nowhere near the interior space), and Toyota decided not to offer a non-hybrid version.

I see on this forum and on the Tundra forum people buying 200 series and 2nd gen Tundras/Sequoias saying “this is going to be the last vehicle I ever buy.” Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see people saying that about the new TNGA-F offerings. Time will tell, but I’m in no hurry to move on from the old v8 based platforms.

I think of the 200 as a jack-of-all-trades. Seatbelts for 8 if you need ‘em. Towing up to 8500 lb (pre J2807, haha) if you need it. Bone stock it will crush the gnarliest, washed out fire service roads I’ve seen on either side of the continent. Built with a 25-year service life in mind. If you’re off-roading and towing, don’t need a truck bed, and want something to last for every bit as long as you care to own it, it’s really hard to beat.

The GX looks great. I’m sure it feels like it tows more effortlessly. But it is untested and far more complicated. And I haven’t spent any time with one, but I wonder what concessions I would feel Toyota made because it shares a platform with so many other vehicles. At this point, the value add for the price of the 550 just isn’t there for me.

I am only 30 so I’ll prob have 2 more 200s before I die 😂

The new GX is the best looking SUV on the market hand down.

Have a listen to this and if the GX 550 has GPF(s) (and for that matter the LC250) then realize that can impact reliability significant like DPF’s did on diesels.

Some further explanation. Not clear yet which Toyota vehicles are fitted with this system although it mentions all direct injected engines.

Last edited:
Have a listen to this and if the GX 550 has GPF(s) (and for that matter the LC250) then realize that tanks reliability big time like DPF’s did on diesels.

Per the Tundra folks, most of that video was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom