2018 200 series vs GX550 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New browser and poster. Trying to decide on a used LC200, years 2018-2020, vs getting/waiting on a GX 550.
I do like the 550 Overtrail, but I wish it had 3 rows of seats, and I am not sure about the engine yet.
The appeal of the 200 LC is the reputation for reliability, the consistency, the ability to last 200,000 plus miles.
The drawbacks are the low gas mileage, the small third row,
the potential radiator issues, etc, etc. And the high price, which would almost be the same as the new GX Premium.
Any thoughts, from owners, who can share some insight?
Is anyone thinking about making the switch to the GX550, and if so, why?
And if not, please share why not?
I am leaning towards finding a lower mileage 2017 or 2018 model 200, but boy, are they hard to find, unless it is in black!
I am looking to get another vehicle to last for 20 years, but drive daily, in place of my 4runner.
Thanks to any and all responses!
Mark
2016 4Runner Trail Premium, daily driver, reliable
2016 Charger Hellcat, 750 miles, not DD
2001 Ram 1500 4wd, beater truck, but still loved
2000 Dodge Viper, my baby, 12,000 miles, ordered from factory, picked up at assembly plant

Some other things to consider... the Land Cruiser already took some of the initial depreciation, gas mileage not too different from GX (13 vs 15 city), the LC200 is significantly rarer (at least in the states, compared to GX460), the LC200 is a proven platform, most likely last V8, in a higher class, relatively simple, etc.

I don't remember exactly what year they started putting in the updated radiator, but I wouldnt even consider it an issue. The new updated OEM radiator is only about $300.

That said, the GX550 Overtrail will certainly have other things going for it. It'll be a new vehicle with new safety tech, perhaps bigger aftermarket support, etc.

TL;DR: Though the GX550 is nice, long term I would lean LC200.

P.S. I used to have a 98 Viper GTS. Miss that car.

Last edited:
Being a car and Toyota/Land Cruiser enthusiast I have been watching with some interest the GX550 Overtrail version. It dawned on me though that the better fuel economy will be partially offset by the premium fuel for the 3.4 V6TT (assuming you will consider it a push to use regular on a turbo engine).

All in all for your needs (daily drive/longevity) it seems the LC200 comes ahead. It is also one class up from the 250 Prado platform, be it the GX550 with the V6TT is very close.

The LC200 tech is lacking and hard to upgrade. No Apple CarPlay, etc. Otherwise the LC200 wins IMO.

The LC200 tech is lacking and hard to upgrade. No Apple CarPlay, etc. Otherwise the LC200 wins IMO.
Understand what you are saying, it depends though what you consider as tech(nology)? I would say the 200 series (LC or LX) is the ultimate in technology when you consider all round capability (from on to off road and towing to comfort) and longevity. I call that top technology which matters.

To be honest a good phone holder like the the proclip with a wireless charger attached achieves the same and is closer to my field of view then CarPlay on a middle display. And Spotify or similar plays happily over bluetooth.

Upgrade wise there are tons of aftermarket well thought out products out there for the LC200, even a module to get CarPlay is very feasible and available for the 200 series.

The GX550 especially in overtrail outfit is nice, no argument there.

1703222848507.png

200 all day if you are looking to own a rig for 20 years - that’s an easy decision.

If you haven’t driven a 200 yet compared to your 2016 4Runner, the difference is night and day for build quality and heftiness.

For the new GX 550, the build quality is not going to be the same since they had a driving force in this new generation to cut weight and cost. Unlike the 200 series where they have 3X the amount of fasteners on every component and the rig is built like a brick house because of that. The LX 600 feels much less well fastened compared to the 200, so I can only imagine the GX 550 is an even bigger downgrade.

Case in point - go check out videos of the GX 550 and hearing the door close. It doesn’t have the same solid sound to them as the 200. (It’s much more tin can like)

Another thing to consider is the fact that the GX is a brand new platform in its first model year when it releases. General rule is thumb is to wait a few years for all the kinks to get worked out. An example right now my understanding is that the new V35A-FTS twin turbo v6 is having many serious teething issues and having to be completely replaced by Toyota.

The GX is not a Land Cruiser. It is and always has been considered the 'light duty' version even though it carries the Land Cruiser 'Prado' name in the RoTW.

After reading about the catastrophic V6 engine failures in the new Tundra (requiring complete engine replacement) due to spun main journal bearings from what appears to be an oil supply/galley issue, I will be staying away from anything 'new'. I am curious to see if we see the same failures on the Japanese made engines.

Either way, I have zero interest in high revving forced induction engines - regardless of who makes them.

Last edited:
The two vehicles you’re considering are both excellent options, but not really apples to apples. The GX is obviously new and with that comes all the latest safety and technology. I personally would not be worried about a new product from Lexus either. As mentioned though, the 200 is overbuilt and designed to last in “harsh”conditions for 25 years which I would expect the majority of us are nowhere close to subjecting our vehicles to “harsh” conditions, lol. As for the technology, easily remedied. I especially appreciate that you can hot spot into your cellphone and have what is essentially a tablet in your dash.

IMG_4977.jpeg

Some other things to consider... the Land Cruiser already took some of the initial depreciation, gas mileage not too different from GX (13 vs 15 city), the LC200 is significantly rarer (at least in the states, compared to GX460), the LC200 is a proven platform, most likely last V8, in a higher class, relatively simple, etc.

I don't remember exactly what year they started putting in the updated radiator, but I wouldnt even consider it an issue. The new updated OEM radiator is only about $300.

That said, the GX550 Overtrail will certainly have other things going for it. It'll be a new vehicle with new safety tech, perhaps bigger aftermarket support, etc.

TL;DR: Though the GX550 is nice, long term I would lean LC200.

P.S. I used to have a 98 Viper GTS. Miss that car.
Thanks, Supra Turbo, I appreciate the insight. I also love the old Supra....i had an old 94 pearl yellow twin turbo Stealth before I traded it for my Viper. Back when the 300ZX, the Stealth, and the 3000GT were trying to compete with the Supra, in the 90's. A very cool time!

Thanks to everyone for their honest and helpful comments. I think you all actually supported what I believed, that the 200 would be the
best overall long term choice. Now the search continues, but in earnest. Again, thank you all!

@stonepa so damn true.

But the back heaters are legit for long drives.

100 is my peak. Had 15LX it took me almost 3 years to really like it and I don’t miss it that much.

Even the techs at the shops don’t like the new cars. 1 sensor can send you down rabbit hole or replacement parts to get to it.

Look they all have there strong points the new technology is annoying. Just go rent a car and see the process to turn s*** off just to drive in my normal (I guess bad) way.

It doesn’t seem like gas mileage has been a deal breaker for your past vehicles.

Anyways, here’s the difference between a real Land Cruiser and a 120/150/250 Land Cruiser.

IMG_3208.jpeg

I’d 3rd row is important, seems like interior space is important.

The 250 platform is almost as big in terms of exterior dimensions due to fender flares but less passenger space.

For an almost same size vehicle, I’ll take the one with more passenger space all day.

I have a family and large dog.

The real question is LX600 or 200

It doesn’t seem like gas mileage has been a deal breaker for your past vehicles.

Anyways, here’s the difference between a real Land Cruiser and a 120/150/250 Land Cruiser.

View attachment 3514410
Has this been confirmed as compared to the 250 as well? I understand that Toyota themselves are calling the 250/550 “light duty” but curious how this plays out in actual parts comparison. The curb weight of the 460 and 200 had enough of a delta to make up this difference in duty class but it appears the 550 and 600 are much closer.

Has this been confirmed as compared to the 250 as well? I understand that Toyota themselves are calling the 250/550 “light duty” but curious how this plays out in actual parts comparison. The curb weight of the 460 and 200 had enough of a delta to make up this difference in duty class but it appears the 550 and 600 are much closer.
Most likely.

The 200's components are beefier than the 300's (and new Tundra's).

I am not aware of these comparisons are possible given none of the 550s / LC250s have been available. But It wouldn’t make sense for Toyota to “upfit” the light duty platform with heavy duty 300 series stuff. Why would they do that? The whole point was a lower price point.

My internet armchair opinion is that delta you see is due to the LX 600 getting lighter due to more aluminum rather than unfitting the 550 with heavier duty components. Makes no financial sense for Toyota. They sell a zillion light duty 4Runners a year. No economic reason to make them tougher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom