1FZ-FE engine with H55f transmission? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never said 1hdt, I said hdj80. You can buy a complete truck for that money.

With 300km miles and noodly beb eating crank. Have fun with that. :)

I think we are talking apples and oranges here....

“If”. Someone makes an h55f bell /adapter.....it’s gonna be $1500+ $2500h55 and $750 for a split case to avoid h55 to hf1/2A 80case. And who’s to say they are going to even sell their adapter. Still you are already up to $5k and you might as well just grab a h151f for a 1fz.for similar price and end up with a stronger h151trans vs the h55.

the only way this makes sense is if you are definitely going for a Omile engine and drivetrain......and spending $12k and saving $5k on a 0mile 1fz....vs 0mi. 1hdt. And applying that engine savings to all the adapters/trans/case.

For a company like FJCo. They are going to be building that whole thing as a 0 mile setup for $10k their cost on everything from Omile1fz.h55/adapters/stand-alone/turbo/cases etc. And likely $20k-$30k upcharge on their $50-60k builds. they will get their money back on bellhousing adapter initial cost /development in their first few builds...... and have a plug n play 0mile setup with easily tweeked 250-400hp inline6 all Toyota drivetrain for 40,45,55,60,80and all variants. no brainer for them to have one Essentially Oem drivetrain to cover em all......with full USA parts support.

Last edited:
This swap is more likely aimed at the J4X crowd as that particular chassis tends to bring in the crowd more willing to either do the work entirely themselves or pay a vendor to complete the swap.

Best way to think about any of this is if you have the income/interest to do it, it will be done and FJ Co has found that it is a fiscally sensible to create it due to demand/need. The rest of the community will just argue over price and justify why it is/isn't worth it.

I think it's a great thing but like @mattressking said, likely for the 4x bunch? My thinking is that it is a short driveline vs the 151f? Perhaps I'm wrong.

I could put a turbo 1fz, h-55 combo in the fj45. Hmmmm........

Different forum, rant over.

I think the only reason to even consider the h55 would be for short 40/70 series chassis like others have said. no point with the longer 45,55,60’s etc as the a442 and 343 are infinitely more durable than an h55f.

And for anyone with a rig that is sub 4250lbs .......a plain old stock 1fz /a442/4.11 has plenty of oomph to push 35s and leave u with a big grin :) the thought of a mild turbo’d 1fz in a 40/45 is pure Bro-Yota!!!

I think the only reason to even consider the h55 would be for short 40/70 series chassis like others have said. no point with the longer 45,55,60’s etc as the a442 and 343 are infinitely more durable than an h55f.

And for anyone with a rig that is sub 4250lbs .......a plain old stock 1fz /a442/4.11 has plenty of oomph to push 35s and leave u with a big grin :) the thought of a mild turbo’d 1fz in a 40/45 is pure Bro-Yota!!!

Didn't mean big turbo, that's for the 80. Likely don't even need it if the truck is light enough but my experience with altitude and NA suggests a few pounds of boost can't hurt. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice slow f or 2f, but sometimes power is practical too.

Toyota really dropped the ball on the fjcruiser. had they simply stuck with the their F-based Roots and taken the 1fz a decade further.......we would have something like an in-line 3.2liter variable valve turbo6 300hp/375tq to search the car-part classifieds for today to drop into old 40/45s. Ugh..

Yep I have been saying the same thing for years. A nice all aluminum inline 6, with a small turbo, and a modern 7/8 speed trans would be a killer combo.

Toyota really dropped the ball on the fjcruiser. had they simply stuck with the their F-based Roots and taken the 1fz a decade further.......we would have something like an in-line 3.2liter variable valve turbo6 300hp/375tq to search the car-part classifieds for today to drop into old 40/45s. Ugh..

A442 ran behind 900ftlb Hino NO4c pulling 17000lbs all day in bus fleets. ( 9000lb coaster-26-30passengers and gear 8000lbs. )

Try that with an h55f......

H55f- 152lbs.

A442f- 285lbs.

Aisin variants were run in medium duty trucks.

Last edited:
Inline 6 to a car enthusiast- strong platform, useful power band, longevity. Hooray

Inline 6 to a corporate bean counter- higher parasitic drag, tougher packaging, too expensive.
Boo

Where is @Delancy who claims to have searched to the ends of the Earth for how to do this?

Been busy.....

if you can match a 1HD-T to an H55F using 31111-60230 I don't see why you can't use the same to do the 1FZ-FE match with the H55F

HD/HZ bell pattern are the same, but FZ is remarkably different.

Bellhousing in the range of $1000-$1500 roughly.

Great!

Now on to addressing the complexity (cost) of swapping 1FZ-FEs in vintage Cruisers....

H15XF/HF1A is better suited for the 1FZ-FE.

Hopefully, they accommodated for the 300mm clutch with HD springs, ‘cause the 1FZs gonna need it.

HD/HZ bell pattern are the same, but FZ is remarkably different.

there was a pic here .. ( can't remember where ) comparing them side to side ..

Hey guys - as promised:

FJCO 1FZ-H55F Bell Housing

First of a few custom fabrications we'll be releasing in our store.

Thanks!

:cool:

Very cool guys. I'm assuming this is set up for the standard 10 spline input H55F (33030-60450)

What are you recommending for the clutch components & Flywheel?

Can't someone make an adapter plate to go behind or inside the 1FZ bellhousing? yeah you might need to space a clutch assembly out slightly as well but...

edit: i forgot the throwout assembly, that would be a bit of work too.

:cool:

Very cool guys. I'm assuming this is set up for the standard 10 spline input H55F (33030-60450)

What are you recommending for the clutch components & Flywheel?

Correct, standard 10 spline input shaft h55f

FZJ70 Flywheel

2F/H55F style disc and pressure plate

I'll be sure to follow up with some more accurate details and part numbers.

Correct, standard 10 spline input shaft h55f

FZJ70 Flywheel

2F/H55F style disc and pressure plate

I'll be sure to follow up with some more accurate details and part numbers.

That would be great. We'd love to put this in our upcoming transmission offerings along with clutch kits, etc. Thanks!

Here are the part numbers as promised.

Flywheel (FZJ70) : 13405-66020
Disc : 31250-36150
Clutch Cover (PP) : 31210-66030
Slave Cylinder : 31470-60171
Pilot bearing : 31210-60030
Release Fork : 31204-36110
T/O Bearing : 31230-60130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom