1FZ-FE engine with H55f transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The speed sensor is typically in the transmission for 2wd vehicles and the transfer case for 4wd ones. The HF2AV t-case carries the sensor for the gage cluster. I'll see if theres a secondary shown in the dwgs.

Sweet ! How does a guy go about recreating the speed signal that the auto trans. sends to the e.c.u. ?

If that is the signal generator and multi cluster it refers to.. and you are going to use the stock transfercase and speedo... then you wont have to re-create it, as you would be retaining those components in your build!

The speed sensor is typically in the transmission for 2wd vehicles and the transfer case for 4wd ones. The HF2AV t-case carries the sensor for the gage cluster. I'll see if theres a secondary shown in the dwgs.
If that is the signal generator and multi cluster it refers to.. and you are going to use the stock transfercase and speedo... then you wont have to re-create it, as you would be retaining those components in your build!
I plan to run an H55F with a split case.

Vehicle Speed Sensor.png

I appreciate everyone's interest and thoughts so far....

For accuracy's sake (thanks @beno ), below is our complete and updated list for the OEM part numbers we utilize with our bellhousing adapter.

Flywheel (FZJ70) : 13405-66020
Clutch Disc : 31250-36343
Clutch Cover (PP) : 31210-36330
Slave Cylinder : 31470-60171
Pilot bearing : 90363-15017
Release Fork : 31204-36110
T/O Bearing : 31230-60130

You can substitute with Aisin and such parts elsewhere online.

Furthermore, our latest iteration from The FJ Co utilizes OBD1 Computers intended for M/T applications (non-US). We then attach a H55F using the above mentioned parts, as well as a brand new OEM split case. For the VSS we utilize a 83181-20040 80 series sensor.

This combo proves to be ideal for us. I'm sure the wealth of knowledge on these forums can expand and adapt these parts as they see fit. I'm aware the A/T ECU can easily be tricked into functioning well with this setup, although I don't have the first hand experience provide details. But to me it sounds like you guys already have it figured out.

All of our installs revolve around the 40 series chassis, so there are plenty of extra things to consider for the 80 series.

I'm excited to see our product go into action, if you decide to go this route please post up and show us what you've accomplished!

-Cody

I agree, this would shine in a 6X application

H15X/HF1A fits a 6X chassis, beautifully, and they’re readily available.

Having only long term experience with 1HZ/H55F combinations, both turbo’d, one with HD clutch, one without, I question whether or not even the HD clutch would maintain behind the 1FZ.

Un-boosted HD H55F clutch sucks like running a marathon in 6” heels and anything less seems to wanna slip a bit.

300mm 1HD/1FZ afforded the H15X might be prudent, especially in a fat ass wagon.

Having only long term experience with 1HZ/H55F combinations, both turbo’d, one with HD clutch, one without, I question whether or not even the HD clutch would maintain behind the 1FZ.

Un-boosted HD H55F clutch sucks like running a marathon in 6” heels and anything less seems to wanna slip a bit.

300mm 1HD/1FZ afforded the H15X might be prudent, especially in a fat ass wagon.
I hadn't considered the clutch. That is good to know. Also, imagining running a marathon in 6 inch heels is bad enough on many levels. I am not going to try it!

Where might one find a H151 transmission in the US? From one of the JDM importers?

Or run a clutch vacuum booster, yes? My HZJ-73 has one on it but since the engine/trans combo for the truck is about 50 yards away in a crate I have no idea how well it works.

Where might one find a H151 transmission in the US? From one of the JDM importers?
I’ve one of each, H150F and H151F (both with levered, 7X HF1As) ‘available’, or @joekatana can source.

Or run a clutch vacuum booster, yes? My HZJ-73 has one on it but since the engine/trans combo for the truck is about 50 yards away in a crate I have no idea how well it works.

Exactly what’d lessen the effort, but have had a hard time finding one that fits what was originally a VMJ73 (now HZJ73 with HD clutch that desperately needs booster) firewall/clutch master, having tried several variants from 7X lineup. (Haven’t had opportunity to make one fit).

Not sure if any 6Xs were fitted with boosters, but would think it’d be worth the addition, as I don’t see how an OE H55F clutch could ever hold up to FZ.

I found some results in the HJ61 variant, but it looks like they are out of production. PN 31440-60050

They show up about twice a year in the mud classifieds. There is an improvement in them somewhere around 93-94 iirc. The newer being more robust.
They are much like buying a used Toyota diesel, might get by right away but a rebuild is a good plan

61 is RHD, so may prove challenging (if 73 to 74 compatibility is any barometer).
The Euro 61 is a LHD so maybe find one thru @joekatana, or maybe Cruiser World in the Netherlands

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom