Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@middlecalf has your thread been hijacked by Russian spam bots?
vht755..png

The dogs are my alarm clock. They eat bots for breakfast 😆.

So, can a Warn 8274 winch be installed without mods to an OEM bumper? And can the OEM electrical system/harness handle the load without upgrade?

A little bit of mods, just need to add a hole in the center.

I’m feel like the OEM harness can barely handle itself at this point in its life. :lol:

If you are wiring the winch to the OEM harness you are doing it wrong. The winch will not have a material effect on the OE harness, save for the generator/alternator and the WL wire from the generator/alternator to the battery through the ammeter, which might have to flow more current than usual if you drained the battery winching.

Fit a good AGM/Gel battery together with the winch and it will take the brunt of the load imposed by the winch. You will likely use it very infrequently, if ever.
The dogs are my alarm clock. They eat bots for breakfast 😆.

So, can a Warn 8274 winch be installed without mods to an OEM bumper? And can the OEM electrical system/harness handle the load without upgrade?

WL wire runs through the harness in this rig.

I drive my rig through lots of tall grasses, weeds, brush, etc. when I’m using it for what it’s for, to haul stuff to the cows in the high country as well as fencing materials, stock tanks, …. via roadless terrain. This is my utility vehicle. Volume and weight requirements forgo using something like a side-by-side. The amount of material that would get jammed into the fairlead subsystem mounted on the bumper is unfathomable. I’ve managed the years so far without a winch but there’s been a few times one would have been handy - maybe. So exploring options, including a rear-mounted unit or one that mounts into a tow ball receiver.

Not to sure on 8274s, but a winch can be made to bolt on behind and above the bumper. Maybe use the tow hook holes for mounting. Get a good battery and you're set.

Hey Ken - I’ve got a PTO winch on my 40, if I’d just get it operational 😂. One for the 45 is also an option in play, I’d have to get the pto for the tranny as I don’t have that on this rig as well.

So exploring options, including a rear-mounted unit or one that mounts into a tow ball receiver.
That sounds like the way I'd go. Maybe an 8274 is too heavy to be mobile, but get a winch that can be picked up and be stored in the bed of your truck. And then design a mount on the winch that will slide into ball mounts that you have mounted to both the front and rear bumpers. It's out of the way, it can be used on both ends of the truck, and you don't have a front fairlead getting clogged with debris. I say all this with just ideas floating around in my head on how I'd like a winch on one of my rigs. Never done it, so reality might say it's a bad idea. Wouldn't be the first time!

WL wire runs through the harness in this rig.

I drive my rig through lots of tall grasses, weeds, brush, etc. when I’m using it for what it’s for, to haul stuff to the cows in the high country as well as fencing materials, stock tanks, …. via roadless terrain. This is my utility vehicle. Volume and weight requirements forgo using something like a side-by-side. The amount of material that would get jammed into the fairlead subsystem mounted on the bumper is unfathomable. I’ve managed the years so far without a winch but there’s been a few times one would have been handy - maybe. So exploring options, including a rear-mounted unit or one that mounts into a tow ball receiver.
Fair enough and good that you are using it. Well, I live in and grew up in Africa and we have always used Cruisers in proper off road conditions very far from any form of civilization or help. A Warn roller fairlead could not care less that you are driving through grass, shrub, thorn trees, bushes, water, mud, etc.

D9B3F607-32E5-4617-A1ED-C0E41F071855.jpeg

IMG_4286.JPG

Last edited:
Don’t know, didn‘t find anything 😂

If we did, and we told you, we’d have to kill you.

(possum dicere sed deinde compulero interficere 😆)

Last edited:
Another patch from some fun in the sun over the desert a few years ago
IMG_4288.JPG

Might be another nickname for this rig 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom