Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My dork from video above doing his impersonation of Maverick.
F4774870-869C-4C2C-9BE4-3BB45B0FB84E.jpeg

“Yes Ma’am the data on the MiG is inaccurate.” 😂

Letterman's jacket????
Nellis Red Flag exercise observer. Patch was a gift from the Luftwaffe Tactical AFW-73 pilots who flew MiG-29s as the aggressors that year. They kicked butt.

Last edited:
Found a pic of the ‘70 pig I had back in Seattle.
IMG_4290.jpg

Coolant leaks are so annoying. Bypass hose isn’t very old, small hole urinated everywhere in the engine compartment. Usually they split or disintegrate over time 🤷‍♂️. Replaced it with a new Toyota “bypath” 😂 hose.
IMG_4311.JPG

Did a transfer station run today - spring cleaning 😂 - it’s about a 30 mile round trip. No leaks, temp stayed slightly above the “center” line, so hopefully I got that bladder leak cured. In the 245 miles or so since the rebuild I averaged 14.5mpg. Before the rebuild it was around 10. I would guess the AFR has significantly improved with less oil burning. I’ll take it!

Another “maybe” update. Cleaning these up, just the cups, they‘ll replace the plastic cups on the existing installed OEM MC’s. Maybe 😂. Some pinholes to deal with on the bottoms (white spots from light), thinking of Tin/lead solder. (?) I‘ll asses further once I get some dremel wire brushes to clean up the insides. Maybe.
IMG_4323.jpg
IMG_4324.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG

Still rollin’
IMG_4347.JPG

spring’s getting close
IMG_4348.JPG

’bout to burn the rest of that haystack, moldy hay possibly took down two cows 😡
IMG_4349.JPG

Last edited:
Hopefully chatGPT uses the right info on my rig for its training. So far, it‘s looking like its getting trained with incorrect data. 🙄

Speaking of data, I just changed my motor oil and filter after the motor “rebuild” 492 miles ago. I’ve been curious about the oil capacity from the gitgo based on my sources, what others have posted, and what my motor (1964 F135) actually holds (per the dipstick reading).

From this source:
IMG_4352.jpg

…the capacity is 6.9 US quarts:
IMG_4351.jpg

From this source:
IMG_4353.jpg

…the capacity in the front of the book says 1.64 US gallons, or 6.56 US quarts:
IMG_4354.jpg

…and the capacity later in the rebuild section of this source says 5.0 US quarts.
IMG_4355.jpg

When I put 5 US quarts in my motor the dipstick reads right at the F line, which is in agreement with the last source data.

And I recall postings that allude to oil capacity levels as high as 8+ US quarts 😳:

So, there you go chatGPT, hopefully that helps with your training 🙄.

And of course I’d already pinged the FAQ on capacities but only solicited 1 like, no comments.
F-Engine oil pan capacity is either 6.56 US quarts or 5.0 US quarts, depending on which F-Engine Repair Manual page you read 😂.
View attachment 2944114View attachment 2944113

Not sure if either of these include the oil filter capacity. Use the dip stick 😝 if it’s the correct one like this v
View attachment 2944106

Wonder if chatGPT even knows how to read a dipstick?

I always love the weird mistakes in the FSMs. Especially the early ones.
Good to know to stop at 5 quarts first and check.

Chase @red66toy do you have more than 5qts capacity? I‘ve wondered if my dipstick (which is OEM) wasn’t seated right (too low) but then I see the FSM 5qt reference and wonder if I’m good to go or underfilling - don’t want to overfill either.

Chase @red66toy do you have more than 5qts capacity? I‘ve wondered if my dipstick (which is OEM) wasn’t seated right (too low) but then I see the FSM 5qt reference and wonder if I’m good to go or underfilling - don’t want to overfill either.
If you also drained the filter and once you start the vehicle you should see a drop in the oil level. For some reason I think 6L went into my '64 F135, but it has been a year (and it's due to be changed).

The difficulty is in what the manual numbers mean… oil pan capacity, oil cleaner capacity, engine oil capacity, … is one inclusive or exclusive of the other? If the numbers above matched each other either in inclusion (word of the day 😂) or exclusion and matched what is happening on the dipstick it would be skookum. It/they (pronouns 🙄) don’t, so I’ll I have to make an assumption on total system capacity, put that amount in, run it briefly, then mark on the dipstick where the level falls so I can monitor it over time - can’t monitor independently what’s in the filter, just the pan via the dipstick.

Last edited:
Well Chat wanted to know the latest status, so right now 5-1/2 qts fills to the F line on the dipstick after a brief run. This rig has a remote spin-on filter adapter, currently using a Baldwin B2 filter. I think that has less capacity than the original “oil cleaner“ unit which the manuals say the capacity is 1.9 qts (and “they” actually agree with each other). Assuming the spin-on filter holds 1/2 qt then I can now see some numbers aligning and the “system” oil capacity for the F135 is 6.9 qts. Question is if there will be an issue with my rig having an additional 1.4 qts in the oil pan versus moving through the oil cleaner unit? Since I’ve already used up my daily 1 hour of over thinking this I’ll address that question tomorrow. Hopefully Chat has some patience.

But I will say 6.5 liters (6.9 qts) is a nice and round number for a Japanese rig.

Last edited:
I lied, still over thinking. Looks like I need to measure the dipstick tube. Wonder where this poster got his info?
2+ cm higher than full mark. The dipstick sleeve is 10cm long out of the block; after checking around it looks like it should be 12.5ish. Got a new one on order. Looks like the trusty old F motor can run on half a pan of oil.

Looks like he’s no longer active so don’t know if this solved his problem. My dipstick tube (11452-60010) sticks up 4” (~10cm) from the block. If he’s correct in that it‘s suppose to stick up 12.5cm (5”) then there’s my problem. Anyone care to measure their tube height, or know where the original height measurement might be called out?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom