Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got some more bits and peices knocked out last night as it was a bit milder temps..

Accelerator pedal and cable bolted in and routed properly.
Heater box and lines bolted in and completed
Battery tray clamp fabbed and painted
i.php
i.php

hood latch and strut cleaned up and ready for paint today and final assembly tonight. the heater lines were a pain but it's an item off the list!

i.php
been playing with wiring the last few days..
i.php

dry fit of the dash and wiring to figure out where everything needs to go and what i can tap into for gauges, etc
i.php

today is day 1 of 4 weeks of leave so i can put a solid effort in to finish this thing off.

and 24 days before engineer visits first first pass on inspection.

Last edited:
updates have been a bit lacking as ive had issuse connecting to mud on my home wifi but im still going.

- all fluids done, only one leak out of the sump plug still!..
i.php

- intercooler piping done
- exhaust done
i.php

i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

- had the turbo off cos i had a significant oil leak but discovered it was a loose fitting on the oil feed line.
- wipers wired in
- starting issues were due to a stuck starter relay.
i.php

- outside of all remaining panels and doors are back to bare steel.
i.php

- got yet another +ve terminal block offering better bonnet clearance
i.php

- fuel feed plumbed into the tank
i.php

just got a few misc things to wire in before i wrap the harness. confirmed tacho works

once the wiring is buttoned up i should be able to drive it

Last edited:
Where'd you get the battery terminal from?
theres a bloke in the 40 fb group making looms and i hit him up just for the terminal. nice bit of gear.

slowly woeking through wiring stuff
- all but one of the empty fuse spots in the fuse block are now active. thats 3 x constant +ve feeds and 2 x ign feeds. uhf and central locking harnesses connected
- rear combo leds are now working just need to finish up.
- need to re route coutesty light/dome to the other side, and test door triggers.

still cant figure out why headlight indicator lamp wont work and why the tail light fuse keeps tripping..

I remember being told not to use those small *petrol style inline filters on diesels, something to do with the restriction caused due to viscosity of diesel fuel. Anecdotal, YMMV.

(*gas to those who measure lengths with their feet and volume of fluids in ounces)
thanks for mentioning it.. ill keep my eye out for a more suitable replacement

got help with my high beams and discovered the steering wheel plug was munted. cut and re plugged the affected wires and lights, high beam indicator works as expected using the factory loom. still doesnt woek when using the upgraded loom that came with the semi sealed beams.

been running the last few power feeds for helper fuel pump and central locking. central locking is working so i can run the cables and mount the control box. sourced a few dash/acc/gnd feeds for switches as access is limited once the dash is back on.

just need to sort dome light then good to wrap the loom and put the dash back in for good this time.

got help with my high beams and discovered the steering wheel plug was munted. cut and re plugged the affected wires and lights, high beam indicator works as expected using the factory loom. still doesnt woek when using the upgraded loom that came with the semi sealed beams.

been running the last few power feeds for helper fuel pump and central locking. central locking is working so i can run the cables and mount the control box. sourced a few dash/acc/gnd feeds for switches as access is limited once the dash is back on.

just need to sort dome light then good to wrap the loom and put the dash back in for good this time.
The wiring diagram shows the high beam indicator T'd off from the feed to the high beams, and factory 40/55 wiring is positive switched, so it's odd that it wouldn't work with the loom that came with the semi sealed beams. I assume the added loom uses the high beam wire from factory headlight plug to trigger a relay, so I don't see why this would stop the high beam indicator on the dash from functioning.

Thinking it may have something to do with the add-on loom only plugging into one headlight socket, I just tried unplugging both headlights on my pre 10/82 BJ42 and as expected, the high beam indicator on the dash still functions just fine!

Unless with your mods you're using a later loom after the point at which Mr Toyota swapped to negative switching, in which case whoever helped you with any wiring modifications may not have got everything quite right ;) eg, from memory, a friends FJ73 was negative switched and we found out the hard way 🥴

Munted? Is that anything like Munsoned?
"Munted" is formal Australian English for "she's f%^&'ed mate, got Buckley's chance of reusing this rooted piece of s%^&t!" 🤠

The wiring diagram shows the high beam indicator T'd off from the feed to the high beams, and factory 40/55 wiring is positive switched, so it's odd that it wouldn't work with the loom that came with the semi sealed beams. I assume the added loom uses the high beam wire from factory headlight plug to trigger a relay, so I don't see why this would stop the high beam indicator on the dash from functioning.

Thinking it may have something to do with the add-on loom only plugging into one headlight socket, I just tried unplugging both headlights on my pre 10/82 BJ42 and as expected, the high beam indicator on the dash still functions just fine!

Unless with your mods you're using a later loom after the point at which Mr Toyota swapped to negative switching, in which case whoever helped you with any wiring modifications may not have got everything quite right ;) eg, from memory, a friends FJ73 was negative switched and we found out the hard way 🥴

"Munted" is formal Australian English for "she's f%^&'ed mate, got Buckley's chance of reusing this rooted piece of s%^&t!" 🤠
im using the bj73 loom and its negative switched. i may need to plug in the other light socket but not sure if ill worry yet. everything its accessible and pretty much plug n pray so it can wait till after engineering.

got the last few thing added to tge loom. got working door switches (from the 80), 2 rows of dome lights and a working map light. i removed the loom from the vehicle so i could make sure everything is routed ready to wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom