What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me when @Dusten drives by my campsite and I'm having bucatini all'amatriciana and a glass of brunello di montalcino

images.jpg

Me when @Dusten drives by my campsite and I'm having bucatini all'amatriciana and a glass of brunello di montalcino

View attachment 3401945
I prefer to use my amenities to feed the family eggs and bacon on day 8 of a trip. They need protein before we go bouncing around for another 6 hours and I'm just spoiled now

1st IG post dropped. Didn't mention 2 out of the 3 broke down on their way from Loon, plus the 3 spotters up front and the support jeep along side every step of the way.
This is the kind of crap that leads to unprepared, unskilled ppl getting stranded...
Still waiting to get the first recovery call for an unprepared Rivian here. Living in Seattle and pulling people our all winter with the Washington Off Road Recovery Network I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet given the number of them driving around.

I'll probably have a hard time controlling the laughter as I'm told how amazing the Rivian is and how much I'm destroying the planet with my 27 year old truck.

Still waiting to get the first recovery call for an unprepared Rivian here. Living in Seattle and pulling people our all winter with the Washington Off Road Recovery Network I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet given the number of them driving around.

I'll probably have a hard time controlling the laughter as I'm told how amazing the Rivian is and how much I'm destroying the planet with my 27 year old truck.
Yeah, I was at a convenience store and this little brand new Tesla parked next to me. Woman pulled herself out of it, almost huffing, stared at my Land Cruiser before walking towards the door and said, "Why drive that Earth Killer?"

I looked at her, smiled, and said, "Earth killer? She just needs a drill hole to get to the oil...yours needs to strip mine an entire village in a third world nation to get your battery materials. Yours blows up and catches fire after a software upgrade or after Musk goes on a twitter rampage because his feelings got hurt...mine will literally run on piss and vinegar and mud."

I paused for a beat and said, smiling, "My Earth Killer will outlast your Tesla, much like it outlasted my last girlfriend."

She huffed at me, almost snorted angrily, really, and proceeded inside, not holding the door for me ;)

Yeah, I was at a convenience store and this little brand new Tesla parked next to me. Woman pulled herself out of it, almost huffing, stared at my Land Cruiser before walking towards the door and said, "Why drive that Earth Killer?"

I looked at her, smiled, and said, "Earth killer? She just needs a drill hole to get to the oil...yours needs to strip mine an entire village in a third world nation to get your battery materials. Yours blows up and catches fire after a software upgrade or after Musk goes on a twitter rampage because his feelings got hurt...mine will literally run on piss and vinegar and mud."

I paused for a beat and said, smiling, "My Earth Killer will outlast your Tesla, much like it outlasted my last girlfriend."

She huffed at me, almost snorted angrily, really, and proceeded inside, not holding the door for me ;)
I look forward to the day that this happens to me.

The real Earth Killers are corporations and private jets. My LX is only a wallet killer

I had a moment like that at work. A Tesla owner made a point of how horrible I was with my v8 conversion, etc. etc. (I was showing some pictures to others). I smiled and told them my old truck could never make up for the environmental impact of their family with 5 kids. My carbon footprint stops with my wife and myself. I think that gives me some latitude with what I drive.

I had a moment like that at work. A Tesla owner made a point of how horrible I was with my v8 conversion, etc. etc. (I was showing some pictures to others). I smiled and told them my old truck could never make up for the environmental impact of their family with 5 kids. My carbon footprint stops with my wife and myself. I think that gives me some latitude with what I drive.
Possible Karen moment!?😬
Had a Tesla pacing me to ATX. I finally got sick of them blinding me.
So I buried it triple digits for 40 or 50 miles and flamed them off the back. I wasn’t in my 80. LOL!
I dare say most Tesla operators are a different group for sure.
Somebody posted recently 80 series or Rivian? 🦑

Last edited:
Possible Karen moment!?😬
Had a Tesla pacing me to ATX. I finally got sick of them blinding me.
So I buried it triple digits for 40 or 50 miles and flamed them off the back. I wasn’t in my 80. LOL!
That hasn't worked out so well for me. I've been buried in a supercharged Jag XF, my Mercedes AMG CLS63 and my wife's current LC500. As much as I hate them, Teslas are quick.

Can't go round a corner worth a damn though.

Oh I hear ya !!
It’s all about who can stay in the longest.
Late braking trail braking.
Like I said a good 50 to 60 miles on rolling twisties.
Generally those drivers start falling apart pretty quick.
You definitely have to cover the brake pedal a lot momentum driving an 80.
I think that’s what I like about driving an 80 similar to E30.
Slow car fast.
Unless it’s a properly swapped s52 E30 w/ 293 lsd.

Last edited:
How old do you think I am?
I go for days on end off road. We do jerky, nuts and freeze dried food. Jet boil and pack light.

If my maths correct I've had my driver's license for 27 years now...
To be clear, 20 years behind the 80's wheel. Pretty sure your pushing 1-2 years with your 80?
Point is they are so versatile and a well built tank, as you go through the years of ownership your ideal perception of what your 80 does for you and how you use it will change. I personally don't do cheese and was joking, just saying if throwing tons of $$ at your 80 is not for you it may work for others, if nuts and the jet boil is your thing, great, it just isn't for everyone either, and the same for the 80, just because it does ok off-road, doesn't mean everyone heads to the most radical trails, bare minimum to tear their shi@t up and travel light and sleep on the ground.

Oh I hear ya !!
It’s all about who can stay in the longest.
Late braking trail braking.
Like I said a good 50 to 60 miles on rolling twisties.
Generally those drivers start falling apart pretty quick.
You definitely have to cover the brake pedal a lot momentum driving an 80.
I think that’s what I like about driving an 80 similar to E30.
Slow car fast.
Unless it’s a properly swapped s52 E30 w/ 293 lsd.
S54 for the E30 all day long. S52 swapped e30 is like 2 decades old already. I am keeping mine stock M20 FTW....my go fast days are over..

S54 for the E30 all day long. S52 swapped e30 is like 2 decades old already. I am keeping mine stock M20 FTW....my go fast days are
K..
Cool!
Worked in one of the most respected shops in the country.
S54 is really too much motor for an e30 IMO.
Most swapped e30s are bad. 90% miss the last 10%.
I’m with you; M20 is the ticket.
Was talking to Jim Rowe the other day. M20 Metric rally motor for me.
None of these are fast like that.
It’s all about the feel and power to weight ratio.
It’s not about fast for me it’s about being engaged.
And a tail-happy driver is fun.
No babysitters.

Last edited:
To be clear, 20 years behind the 80's wheel. Pretty sure your pushing 1-2 years with your 80?
Point is they are so versatile and a well built tank, as you go through the years of ownership your ideal perception of what your 80 does for you and how you use it will change. I personally don't do cheese and was joking, just saying if throwing tons of $$ at your 80 is not for you it may work for others, if nuts and the jet boil is your thing, great, it just isn't for everyone either, and the same for the 80, just because it does ok off-road, doesn't mean everyone heads to the most radical trails, bare minimum to tear their shi@t up and travel light and sleep on the ground.
I'm not sure @Dusten is even a real Cruiser fan. I heard he suggested installing non OEM caliper bolts once. :flipoff2:

Full disclosure, I DD a tesla. This is just too funny. She's really out to change hearts and minds, I tell you! You should carry a pack of bumper stickers that say "POWERED BY COAL" to slap onto any fart-sniffing tesla elitists you may come across. :hillbilly: Just please don't do it un-provoked :eek:

That's about what happened to me last year. Broken motor mount sent my fan into the radiator just a tad climbing up Cadillac Hill. Didn't burst until I was on pavement. Very lucky for me. Limped it to the hotel in South Lake Tahoe and ordered a new one and went out to eat. Makes for a memorable trip, that's for sure. Glad your rig did so great otherwise!
I just realized both my aftermarket Ron Davis and Liland radiators are 2.2" thick. Both were damaged the same way, top tube between the bottom of the top tank and top of the core. The thicker core yields about 12mm less gap between the back of the radiator and the front of the fan.....not a big deal when your running errands, but when the engine mount is stressed and flexes fully in an obstacle, that 1/2" made a difference. I am certain my OEM engine mounts were bad, but they were only 2 yrs old.....Somthing to think about ..i am made that it took me this long to realize and a very costly mistakes that got me twice now...
I got a 2 row alum. replacement, and will be going with dual electric fan setup with a custom fan shroud for the trail, not taking any chances again.
IMG_8281.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom